WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball 2023

UNI's fall volleyball schedule from what I've been able to piece together so far:

Aug. 25-27: Western Michigan tournament: Villanova (8/25 at 2pm), Milwaukee (8/26 at 9am), WMU (date time TBA)
    Sept. 1-3: Creighton tournament: LSU (9/1 at 330pm), Ball State (9/2 at 230pm); Creighton (9/3 at 230pm)
    Sept. 8-10: ???
    Sept. 15-17: home tournament hosting Dayton (9/15 at 7p), Northern Illinois, North Dakota

The NCAA also recently changed their scheduling structure for volleyball, going from what used to be a limit on number of days of competition (which lead to more instances of 2 matches in a day in the non-conference schedule) to now just having a limit on overall number of matches played. So there might be more instances of playing Fri/Sat/Sun during the non-conference. Though there might still be some "3 matches in 2 days" still being done to save on hotel costs.

As for conference play, the only MVC team to post a schedule thus far is UIC, so we have:
    9/22 through 11/15 MVC play
    - 9/29 Valpo
    - 9/30 UIC

- 11/10 @ UIC
    - 11/11 @ Valpo
    - 11/15 Drake or @ Drake (with another midweek match against Drake at some point in Sept or Oct most likely)

11/19-22 MVC tournament​ (site TBA)
    Last edited by vbfan19; 06-01-2023, 11:44 AM.

Really saddened that our USC-CU-KU tournament is gone now. I get it, but still.

Comment

I see that Payton Ahrenstorff is now listed on the volleyball roster for Palm Beach Atlantic University (a D2 program in Florida).
      She was listed as a senior and recognized as such on Senior Night and the banquet, so this wasn't a surprise transfer or anything.
      I believe she has 2 seasons of eligibility remaining should she choose to use both of them (redshirted in '19, played in '20 (spring '21), '21, '22; but gets the extra covid year)

Comment

I think we're going to be completely new in the back row, that could be, um, interesting.

Comment

I see iowa state is off the schedule for this year. Shame that the series is not happening this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Irocon View Post
            I see iowa state is off the schedule for this year. Shame that the series is not happening this year.
            Agreed. Any idea where UNI is not playing Iowa State this year? Seems like it should be an annual event. It is so good for the fans to have in-state matches.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
              Agreed. Any idea where UNI is not playing Iowa State this year? Seems like it should be an annual event. It is so good for the fans to have in-state matches.
              NCAA bylaws used to limit teams to 28 "dates of competition" during vb season, but they often played 2 matches during the same day during the early non-conference tournaments but that still only counted as one "date of competition".
              But they recently changed the bylaws to a limit of 32 contests; thus many of those early tournaments have expanded to 3 days (Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sun) with teams only playing one match per day (though some tournaments still have teams play 2 matches in a day to save on travel and lodging costs).
              It is possible that that change made it tougher to schedule the midweek match that UNI/ISU played, or perhaps it was other scheduling conflicts.

Comment

IIRC the WBB game with ISU was skipped a few years ago due to mutual scheduling conflicts, but resumed after that.

I see we're back to not playing Iowa again.

Comment

Anyone go to the scrimmage on the 13th? How did team look?

Comment

The Gophers 3-0'ed us, as they did last fall. I was hoping there would be some video highlights posted, but none that I can find so far.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                      The Gophers 3-0'ed us, as they did last fall. I was hoping there would be some video highlights posted, but none that I can find so far.
                      I believe it was actually 4-0 as they played 4 sets regardless of outcome (similar to how UNI did for the purple/gold scrimmage). But the 4th set doesn't show up in the box score b/c the stats software isn't programmed for that.

It was an exhibition against a team ranked #7 nationally, so I'm not going to fret too much over it. It might take a while for our younger players and transfers to get things clicking. And it wouldn't surprise me if we had some struggles in the non-conference matches, given the tough scheduling Bobbi tends to do. But hopefully things come together by the time MVC play rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                        Anyone go to the scrimmage on the 13th? How did team look?
                        Saw the bus parked outside the arena as I left work. Bus looked good.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

I believe it was actually 4-0 as they played 4 sets regardless of outcome (similar to how UNI did for the purple/gold scrimmage). But the 4th set doesn't show up in the box score b/c the stats software isn't programmed for that.

It was an exhibition against a team ranked #7 nationally, so I'm not going to fret too much over it. It might take a while for our younger players and transfers to get things clicking. And it wouldn't surprise me if we had some struggles in the non-conference matches, given the tough scheduling Bobbi tends to do. But hopefully things come together by the time MVC play rolls around.
                          Yeah, Minnesota is very, very good. I was surprised that no Big Ten teams made the final four last season, but that's still a tough VB conference. I suppose this was a good way to get experience against a top team without it counting on the record. Probably not realistic to expect the new back row players to play at Sydney & Baylee's level right away.

Comment

Split the first two sets with Villanova, 25-20 each. Didn't see the first set where we won, but the second set reminded me of two years ago - where we could not properly receive the serve & when we did pass it to the setter, it was not in a place where she could do much of anything with it. Wasting Alden's talent.

Question: was Sidney P. our highest "recruit" ever?

Won #3. Made points serving & finally a few good passes to Tayler. They made lots of points on our serve-receives that were poor. Almost unwatchable. Bad formula for the year: we make a lot of mistakes, the make standard plays, they hang around, we get beat.

Lost #4 20-25. Now we are hitting long past their end-line. Villanova is not doing much of anything great. Few spectacular plays. We've done just a few also. It's the bad stuff that is killing us.

Lost #5 17-19. We had a big comeback when they were at 14 (we are OK when serving). We had a deflating serve long for their next-to-last point. Villanova didn't look like they would be anything special in our conference. We will need to get better.
                            Last edited by '70 Grad; 08-25-2023, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Well, there goes the undefeated season Villanova was 10-20 last year, would have hoped we could have picked up a W against them. OTOH, we looked about the same if not worse at this time a year ago.
                              Last edited by in_the_stands; 08-25-2023, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X