WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Johnson - stay on topic, please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

    ESPN article on Johnson and the MVP race

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...el-elliott-nfl
    Feel the Power of Purple !!!!!!

    Comment


    • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

      David Johnson named to the Pro Bowl roster on the one year anniversary of his epic run against Philadephia (not that there is a direct connection between the two, I just never get tired of watching that clip and found the anniversary to be a fun coincidence)

      Comment


      • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

        Don't worry, he'll be riding the pine at the game....

        And get off my yard!

        Comment


        • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

          Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          David Johnson named to the Pro Bowl roster on the one year anniversary of his epic run against Philadephia (not that there is a direct connection between the two, I just never get tired of watching that clip and found the anniversary to be a fun coincidence)

          Reminded me of my first post on PN about David Johnson. I thought Iowa State had three running backs who were better than him. Then, he just ran through, around, and over Iowa State for 4 (almost 5) touchdowns.

          I was such an idiot back then!

          Comment


          • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

            I got to see David Johnson play in Los Angeles last weekend. Here's my report:

            During warmups the Cardinal running backs were stationed in the endzone. The entire warmup that I watched (30 minutes or so), whenever Johnson was in the endzone he was surrounded by a camera crew of three people. They would stay about 3-5 feet away and followed him as he stretched and talked with coaches/players. I really doubt Johnson ever dreamed that's what warmups would be like in his second year!

            Unfortunately, he was injured pretty early in the game. Also, there were quite few Cardinal fans at the game wearing #31 jerseys. Nice to see that happen for a former UNI player.

            Comment


            • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

              Originally posted by Luther_Heggs View Post
              I got to see David Johnson play in Los Angeles last weekend. Here's my report:

              During warmups the Cardinal running backs were stationed in the endzone. The entire warmup that I watched (30 minutes or so), whenever Johnson was in the endzone he was surrounded by a camera crew of three people. They would stay about 3-5 feet away and followed him as he stretched and talked with coaches/players. I really doubt Johnson ever dreamed that's what warmups would be like in his second year!

              Unfortunately, he was injured pretty early in the game. Also, there were quite few Cardinal fans at the game wearing #31 jerseys. Nice to see that happen for a former UNI player.
              Rough week for UNI alum in the NFL .... the Packers' Makinton Dorleant was carted off the field after a knee injury against the Lions Sunday night and did not return. On Monday it was reported "no significant damage" to his knee (http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ers-1.12842723).

              And Johnson's MRI came back with no significant injury (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...rgery-required).
              "Well, that escalated quickly."

              Comment


              • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                The video of David's injury appeared as I watched our basketball team's disappointing performance at Evansville. It looked awful and only worsened my mood. I was very relieved to hear that it wasn't nearly as bad as what was originally feared.

                He won't be playing in the pro-bowl now but he's got a baby due around that time so that all works out.
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

                Comment


                • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                  Here's what I wonder about DJ. When is he going to get paid? Arizona signed him to a 4 year rookie contract expecting him to be a 3rd or 4th string running back if he made the team at all. He makes about $675K a year I believe, which isn't bad for a recent college grad, but is less than 10% of his proven market value.

                  Do NFL teams normally hold players to the full term of a contract in situations like this? It's a rare thing, but it has happened before where rookies turn out to be all stars. Or do they tear the contract up and start over? I'm not suggesting Arizona would do that just because they are nice guys, obviously there's no legal obligation. But isn't it possible they would want to sign him to a long term deal that pays him fairly while they have some leverage rather than waiting another two years and getting into an all out bidding war?

                  I didn't realize he was 25 already. He's probably only going to get one shot at a lucrative contract, whether it's now or in 2 years, I'd like to see him get paid for 6 years instead of 4. Arizona is the team that has had the benefit of getting him for free for 2 years, they are in the best position to pay him what he's worth.

                  Although I would love to see him end up someplace with a decent Oline, can you imagine the numbers he could put up with that?
                  GO PANTHERS!

                  Comment


                  • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                    Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                    Here's what I wonder about DJ. When is he going to get paid? Arizona signed him to a 4 year rookie contract expecting him to be a 3rd or 4th string running back if he made the team at all. He makes about $675K a year I believe, which isn't bad for a recent college grad, but is less than 10% of his proven market value.

                    Do NFL teams normally hold players to the full term of a contract in situations like this? It's a rare thing, but it has happened before where rookies turn out to be all stars. Or do they tear the contract up and start over? I'm not suggesting Arizona would do that just because they are nice guys, obviously there's no legal obligation. But isn't it possible they would want to sign him to a long term deal that pays him fairly while they have some leverage rather than waiting another two years and getting into an all out bidding war?

                    I didn't realize he was 25 already. He's probably only going to get one shot at a lucrative contract, whether it's now or in 2 years, I'd like to see him get paid for 6 years instead of 4. Arizona is the team that has had the benefit of getting him for free for 2 years, they are in the best position to pay him what he's worth.

                    Although I would love to see him end up someplace with a decent Oline, can you imagine the numbers he could put up with that?
                    The urgency to do so won't come until this time next year and trying to get one done before his final year of the deal. If that doesn't happen I'd put money that they'll franchise him and then work on another deal over that year. DJ has 2 years left on his deal before he'd be a UFA. He will play this season under his deal, which goes up to $615k this year. He was at 525 this past year and 435 his rookie year. The Cardinals will lock him up after next year so that he doesn't hit the free market. He'll be 26 when that deal is signed, and given what he's shown he will likely get a 4 or 5 year deal somewhere in the 5 or 6 million dollar range. Right now, outside of Adrian Peterson's outrageous contract (which he won't have next year), the highest paid RB is Jonathan Steweard in Carolina at $9.5m. It them drops to $7.7 for Doug Martin and LSeaon McCoy. DeMarco Murray and CJ Anderson are both at $6.0m. The next 5 are all between $4.9 and 5.5m. I have no doubt DJ will be paid like a top 7 running back. If I had to guess, without knowing Arizona's full cap story, I'd go 4 years $29m. That would make him a free agent at age 30 and he may be able to get one more contract in the 3 or 4 million dollar range over 3 years.

                    IF DJ plays out his rookie deal and gets franchise in his 5th year he'd be on a 1 year deal worth about 7.5-7.8 million for that year, and that would be 100% guaranteed money.

                    It's possible they come to an agreement before next year, but the chance is about the same as Mark Farley not sabotaging the offense with whomever is named OC.

                    Look at Harrison Smith, with the Vikings for example. He is one of the 2 or 3 best safties in the league. He was still on his rookie deal until this past season, and still could have been on his rookie deal had the Vikings not signed him to a long term deal before he would have been a UFA. He played 4 full seasons as a top 3 safety before getting paid. He could have played on his rookie deal last year, since he was a first rounder the Vikings could have picked up a 5th year option on his rookie deal, but didn't. DJ won't have that 5th year to worry about as that is a first round thing only.
                    Last edited by claw; 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                      Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                      Here's what I wonder about DJ. When is he going to get paid? Arizona signed him to a 4 year rookie contract expecting him to be a 3rd or 4th string running back if he made the team at all. He makes about $675K a year I believe, which isn't bad for a recent college grad, but is less than 10% of his proven market value.

                      Do NFL teams normally hold players to the full term of a contract in situations like this? It's a rare thing, but it has happened before where rookies turn out to be all stars. Or do they tear the contract up and start over? I'm not suggesting Arizona would do that just because they are nice guys, obviously there's no legal obligation. But isn't it possible they would want to sign him to a long term deal that pays him fairly while they have some leverage rather than waiting another two years and getting into an all out bidding war?

                      I didn't realize he was 25 already. He's probably only going to get one shot at a lucrative contract, whether it's now or in 2 years, I'd like to see him get paid for 6 years instead of 4. Arizona is the team that has had the benefit of getting him for free for 2 years, they are in the best position to pay him what he's worth.

                      Although I would love to see him end up someplace with a decent Oline, can you imagine the numbers he could put up with that?
                      I *think* this is still in place ... it was set up a few years ago as part of the union negotiation and still in place last I checked.

                      For drafted rookies, it is a required four-year contract (with a fifth-year option for first-round picks) and a required three-year contract for undrafted rookies. No contracts may be renegotiated in the first three years, then there is a window before year four to renegotiate.

                      For those drafted in third through seventh rounds, there is a clause (the thought being that they perform better than expected as a lower draft pick) that kicks in based on a percentage of snaps on the field, not on performance (if that makes sense ... basically, DJ would get this if he hit that number of snaps on the field in seasons one and two and ignore the 30 or so TDs and yards from scrimmage). Actual performance incentives are kind of rare in rookie contracts.

                      Unless that has changed, DJ is locked in for another season at the original contract.
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

                      Comment


                      • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                        Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                        I *think* this is still in place ... it was set up a few years ago as part of the union negotiation and still in place last I checked.

                        For drafted rookies, it is a required four-year contract (with a fifth-year option for first-round picks) and a required three-year contract for undrafted rookies. No contracts may be renegotiated in the first three years, then there is a window before year four to renegotiate.

                        For those drafted in third through seventh rounds, there is a clause (the thought being that they perform better than expected as a lower draft pick) that kicks in based on a percentage of snaps on the field, not on performance (if that makes sense ... basically, DJ would get this if he hit that number of snaps on the field in seasons one and two and ignore the 30 or so TDs and yards from scrimmage). Actual performance incentives are kind of rare in rookie contracts.

                        Unless that has changed, DJ is locked in for another season at the original contract.
                        I remember seeing some article/story/social media blurb that basically agreed with this. It said something along the lines that by the time Arizona was allowed to renegotiate a contract with DJ (because of the rules in the bargaining agreement/union/whatever), he was going to get crazy rich.

                        Comment


                        • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                          Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                          I *think* this is still in place ... it was set up a few years ago as part of the union negotiation and still in place last I checked.

                          For drafted rookies, it is a required four-year contract (with a fifth-year option for first-round picks) and a required three-year contract for undrafted rookies. No contracts may be renegotiated in the first three years, then there is a window before year four to renegotiate.

                          For those drafted in third through seventh rounds, there is a clause (the thought being that they perform better than expected as a lower draft pick) that kicks in based on a percentage of snaps on the field, not on performance (if that makes sense ... basically, DJ would get this if he hit that number of snaps on the field in seasons one and two and ignore the 30 or so TDs and yards from scrimmage). Actual performance incentives are kind of rare in rookie contracts.

                          Unless that has changed, DJ is locked in for another season at the original contract.
                          I think this is correct. A few guys have tried to hold out to negotiate better deals, but the team holds all the leverage. Also, NFL rookie contracts are slotted in terms of where you're taken (1st vs 33rd vs 120, etc.). There's very little negotiation room left for rookies entering the league.

                          Comment


                          • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                            Johnson was named first team AP All Pro today ...

                            http://pro32.ap.org/article/3-rookie...p-all-pro-team
                            "Well, that escalated quickly."

                            Comment


                            • Re: David Johnson - stay on topic, please

                              Johnson reports knee is at 100 percent, two weeks ahead of schedule ...

                              http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-car...to-100-percent
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

                              Comment


                              • https://www.facebook.com/arizonacard...5338944166263/
                                Feel the Power of Purple !!!!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X