WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake Handoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Handoff

Not really related to UNI football at all (although it was in the Dome), but it's the first I've ever seen it.

Waterloo West is playing against Cedar Falls in highschool football. At the end of the first quarter, West is on offense (I'm watching the replay on CFU ch. 15).

The West QB fakes a handoff to the RB, and does such a good fake that even the refs buy it. When the RB is tackled, a ref blows the whistle...
    only to discover that the QB has kept the ball and is running unhindered into the endzone.

I'm sure such a thing has happened before, but I never remember seeing it. Since there was a whistle (inadvertant or whatever), they had to replay the down. And West went on to score anyway, so really all that was lost was a bit of time on the clock.

But still a strange occurance.

Bad High School refs not a surprise...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Trump View Post
      Bad High School refs not a surprise...
      true, true. I just don't remember having seen that particular situation before.

In other news, the commentators are talking about it being hot and humid in the Dome (for the CF game).

I have to wonder if the AC is still not working properly. If that's the case, then it's definitely going to be warm for the SIU game with the packed house. Even if the outside temperature cools off some (I'm not sure what kind of temps they are forecasting for next weekend)

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
        true, true. I just don't In other news, the commentators are talking about it being hot and humid in the Dome (for the CF game).

I have to wonder if the AC is still not working properly. If that's the case, then it's definitely going to be warm for the SIU game with the packed house. Even if the outside temperature cools off some (I'm not sure what kind of temps they are forecasting for next weekend)
        Man, I hope it's not hot in there like it has been. It's supposed to be in the 60's next Saturday. But then again, since it's still days away, in Iowa that could change to either 90 and humid or 30 and snow.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherChic View Post
          It's supposed to be in the 60's next Saturday. But then again, since it's still days away, in Iowa that could change to either 90 and humid or 30 and snow.
          too true, too true.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
            Not really related to UNI football at all (although it was in the Dome), but it's the first I've ever seen it.

Waterloo West is playing against Cedar Falls in highschool football. At the end of the first quarter, West is on offense (I'm watching the replay on CFU ch. 15).

The West QB fakes a handoff to the RB, and does such a good fake that even the refs buy it. When the RB is tackled, a ref blows the whistle...
            only to discover that the QB has kept the ball and is running unhindered into the endzone.

I'm sure such a thing has happened before, but I never remember seeing it. Since there was a whistle (inadvertant or whatever), they had to replay the down. And West went on to score anyway, so really all that was lost was a bit of time on the clock.

But still a strange occurance.
            Was the QB's last name Zabransky?

Comment

nope, it was Edwards for West, I think

Comment

As a HS ref for about 12 years, I can tell you that this does happen (even in college sometimes). Some coaches will give the officials warning that the play is coming, so as to not blow it dead. However, that's why you always want to actually see the ball before blowing your whistle.

Comment

Yes, it has happened many times. My dad has told me stories of when he was playing football at Jesup in jr. high and high school. The coach and players told the refs before the game to make sure when they blew the whistle that the player actually had the ball, because the qb had good fakes. From the stories I think that it happened multiple times during the course of the game.
                  Coach Whisenhunt 1/18/09. "There was never any complaints about not being named the starter, all he wanted was an opportunity and he took advantage of it. Kurt is probably one of the greatest individuals you'll ever meet. Kurt worked hard on a lot of things that a lot of times older quarterbacks aren't willing to do. That's a credit to his humility and his competitive drive, and the reason that we are here today in great part is what Kurt Warner has done for us."

Comment

Working...
                  X