WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will win the MVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will win the MVC?

Who do you think has the best chance to win the MVC tournament?

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Bradley will be cutting down the nets in St. Louis.
    Drake
    17.43%
    Illinois State
    15.60%
    Southern Illinois
    11.93%
    Creighton
    9.17%
    Bradley
    2.75%
    UNI
    43.12%
    Last edited by JCPanthers; 03-02-2008, 05:58 PM.

Re: Who will win the MVC?

UNI all the way!!!!!!

putting the purple kool-aide down for a min and I think SIU or Drake will be cutting the nets down
    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

As much as I hope it'd be us, I think Illinois State looks good right now.

Comment

I find the lack of respect that Drake gets from UNI fans interesting. If Creighton or Southern Illinois had gone 15-3 and easily won the conference they would be getting 90% of the votes in this poll.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
          I find the lack of respect that Drake gets from UNI fans interesting. If Creighton or Southern Illinois had gone 15-3 and easily won the conference they would be getting 90% of the votes in this poll.
          No way. I don't think it's lack of respect at all. I think it's common sense. Drake played in MANY close games this year and beat most everyone in the Valley. This will be the 3rd time they'll face a few of these teams. AND . . . they looked very beatable as of late (save for the Butler game).

I think it'll be a 1 vs. 2 final day matchup, I just think Illinois State will come out on top.

Comment

This is probably not the best place for an unbiased poll...
            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

i swear to god i think we can win this thing.

Comment

We can't pick EU?

How many years has it been since Drake missed the Thursday night game?
                If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I'll be honest I didn't vote UNI, but with the match ups the way they are, I might regret that.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                    We can't pick EU?

How many years has it been since Drake missed the Thursday night game?
                    Answered my own question. From here.

How Seed It Is Since the MVC began taking all 10 members for the tournament (1997 tournament, the past 11 seasons), Drake has played in the opening-round games nine times -- four times as the No. 10 seed. The Bulldogs have not been better than a No. 6 since 1993 (they were a No. 5 seed in 1993). Drake's highest previous MVC Tournament seed was a No. 3 (1986).
                    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I don't know. I'm thinking about changing my vote from ISU to Drake. History would actually claim that it's about time a #1 seed wins our tournament.

Comment

I went with the homer pick and chose UNI but this thing is absolutely wide open.

My analysis:

Drake: Great run in the regular season and won a lot of close games. Looked a little tired at the end of the season, not a great sign for a team that relies on the outside shot. I just don't see them keeping fresh enough legs over the course of three days to keep hitting outside shots.

Illinois State: Most athletic team in the field and probably the "safe-money" bet to win the whole thing. Problem facing them is they occasionally seem to lose focus and may get a Missouri State team that is playing care-free with a coach that has nothing to lose anymore.

Southern Illinois: Will grind out 3 games in three days as well as anyone in the field and have the stamina/fitness to do it, but can they consistently score enough? Their best strength is pounding it inside and forcing teams to double the inside to get outside open looks. Unfortunately, they get UNI, the one team in the Valley that can match their inside game one on one. Remember up here Falker looked completely lost with Big Jordan on him.

Creighton: May be the best team to stay fresh all three days because of their deep rotation of players. Altman has owned this tournament and I would not be surprised to see him make another run, can't see Drake (or anyone) beating Altman three times in a season, but they have to get past Bradley first.

Bradley: Does any one player key a team more than Ruffin does the Braves? They have some very good players and can beat anyone without Ruffin, with him they are real scary. A third game out of their last 6 against Creighton in round 1 should be an epic battle and they battled Drake to a pair of one-point games. Will their outside shooting legs hold up over three days?

UNI: It all depends on which team shows up on the defensive end in terms of communication and rotation and the big guy inside's fire on the offensive end. IF EC plays as he has the last three games for each game in St. Louis, he will collect three more double-doubles and be the Tourney MVP in leading us to the Dance, if he plays like he did at Creighton, Illinois State, ... we'll be gone quick. I see him facing Falker one last time as the kick start for motivation. As long as we pound it inside for three days we'll be fine as we have never been able to consistently rely on the outside shot this year.

Missouri State: Could have been my pick if they had slipped into the Friday games. The extra day I think will wear them down but I could see them riding emotion to the semi-finals. That would be fun to watch the screaming form Bear fans if they look like they are about to make a run. Of course, they could completely fold in the first round as well.

Indiana State: Not sure what the impact of falling from a possible 5 seed all the way to 8 will have on a young team. Will have a battle against a Wichita team that has played hard through adversity all year, but I think that would be as far as they go. A fresh Drake will be waiting on Friday.

Wichita State: A team that has battled injury all year but still competed every night as illustrated by three straight OT losses (two on the road). Will give Indiana State a battle and I wouldn't be surprised by a win. Two would be a real Shocker with Drake being the next game.

Evansville: I think Marty will start putting a real competitive team together in Evansville real soon, but not this year. I see Missouri State putting a hurt on Evansville unless the Aces can really create a stall game, still don't think they can pull it off.

In all my (head not heart) guesses in order of likelihood of winning it all: Illinois State, Creighton, SIU, Bradley, UNI, Drake, MSU, InSU, Wichita, Evansville

Comment

How about a new "current poll?" Joe Green should have got more minutes!!
                          I will burn the bridge before you can cross it.

Comment

Wtf??? ???

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Alum 83 View Post
                              Wtf??? ???

Actually, I don't know if it is truly "spam", since it isn't trying to advertise something or lead people to another website or anything. It just seems to be total jibberish (as opposed to posts by myself and some other regular posters which are only PARTIAL jibberish. haha).

Comment

Working...
                              X