WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saluki Week and Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saluki Week and Game Thread

Well UNI has a home game against the Egyptian Dogs.

The games with this team have been fierce, with a back and forth battle.

Can UNI pull this one out and win at home?
    Will the curse of the Saluki haunt the UNI-dome once again?
    Will this be the beginning of a fantastic streak of wins for UNI?

Thoughts?

Will someone explain the history of the Saluki? (please)

GO PANTHERS!
    G-N-D

I was wondering if we'd get a game thread. Seems like people are a bit scared to talk about this one. SIU is always a battle. Many classic games between us over the years. I'm hoping for a big win on Saturday! (If not..well I can't think about that)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Saluki Week and Game Thread

I believe he retired the explaining of the Saluki. You might have to copy and paste an Old Post. LOL
      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Saluki Week and Game Thread

He retired it as after years of posting it a handful of posters got upset about it's lack of politically correct language. IIRC it became a big ordeal last time it was posted.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
          He retired it as after years of posting it a handful of posters got upset about it's lack of politically correct language. IIRC it became a big ordeal last time it was posted.
          That sounds right. I'm not sure where the moderators ever landed on it and it may not be on the board at all anymore. I think it had been determined that it could be posted with a warning but people still complained anyway.
          Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
            That sounds right. I'm not sure where the moderators ever landed on it and it may not be on the board at all anymore. I think it had been determined that it could be posted with a trigger warning but people still complained anyway.
            JFC - grow up people.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
              It was pretty lame, he was probably embarrassed.

Comment

Anyway, it ought to be an interesting game. UNI seems to be having some problems on special teams (KO defense) and somewhat in defensing the pass with young DBs (although Big Fluffy teams are always pretty good at the air game). SIU is a good KO return team and (I think) passing team.

It seems that some on the board have issues with Coach Farley's running of the team--is it his coaching strategies or assistants he's hired?

Comment

Originally posted by Underdawg View Post
                  Anyway, it ought to be an interesting game. UNI seems to be having some problems on special teams (KO defense) and somewhat in defensing the pass with young DBs (although Big Fluffy teams are always pretty good at the air game). SIU is a good KO return team and (I think) passing team.

It seems that some on the board have issues with Coach Farley's running of the team--is it his coaching strategies or assistants he's hired?
                  One idea pretty much sums it up:

He either is stuck on trotting out running QBs who can't pass, or the o-coordinator isn't willing to open up the playbook to allow said QB to utilize the passing game.

I'm in the former camp. To me, Bailey throws the ball the same way whether he's trying to throw a rope 40 yards down field or 4. He has zero touch and accuracy on the ball. However, he's also one of the best running QBs I've seen at this level. This leads to us looking like world beaters at times (1st 1/2 against EWU, when Bailey ran all over the place and was unstoppable), and other stretches where they gear to stop Bailey and the offense comes to a complete halt (3-and-outs galore in the 2nd half of EWU game).

We could also bring up our apparent lack of interest in focusing on solid special teams and having a coach who focuses on just that, but that's a whole other can of worms.
                  Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                  Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                  - George Halas

Comment

CRGazette (9/26/16):

"Southern Illinois up first as UNI begins Missouri Valley Football Conference play

League boasts 7 ranked teams, 4 wins over FBS foes

CEDAR FALLS — Now comes the meat grinder.

Not that the first three weeks of the schedule were easy for the Northern Iowa Panthers. They weren’t.

But it’s time for Missouri Valley Football Conference play, and all you need to see how difficult that’s going to be are the rankings. The FCS Top 25 poll includes seven MVFC schools, including UNI at 12."

entire read at:
                    http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...-play-20160926
                    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Up 21-7 early in the second quarter on a 20-yard TD pass, Bailey to Fountain.

Comment

This team is enormously frustrating.

We give up a 30 yard play on third down. After making the stop Campbell gets in the Saluki guy's face right in front of the ref to give them 15 free yards. You just gave up a 30 yard play! What the hell are you bragging about?

SIU scores on the next play.

Comment

Nice drive, missed FG by Easley.

Comment

4-10 on the year For fg? Ugh

Comment

Double reverse on second and goal from the five os an interesting call.

Missed a 22 yard field goal. We need a new kicker.

Comment

Working...
                              X