WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CR Gazette: "Bryce Paup rejoining UNI football coaching staff"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CR Gazette: "Bryce Paup rejoining UNI football coaching staff"

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...mpression=true
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

No quarterback controversy AND a special teams coach! It's like Christmas in August.
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Just need Eli to stay healthy and Christmas will last all season!

Comment

Does anyone know where DP Eyeman went?
        GO NORTHERN IOWA PANTHERS![SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
          No quarterback controversy AND a special teams coach! It's like Christmas in August.

Seriously. Am I on the Panther Nation site?

Comment

Wonder why Paup came back? Not that I'm complaining.

A special teams coach makes me a very happy camper. It's about darn time.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
              Wonder why Paup came back? Not that I'm complaining.

A special teams coach makes me a very happy camper. It's about darn time.
              I have to wonder if it was more a matter of them already signed to a contract when Paup indicated interest in coming back, so they found something for him to do.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                I have to wonder if it was more a matter of them already signed to a contract when Paup indicated interest in coming back, so they found something for him to do.

I would love to know more about how this came about. Definitely good news.

Comment

I really hope this is a win/win for everyone.

Things didn't work out with Paup and Fleck but he wants to keep coaching. Will be great to have BP back with the program.

Braun gets to expand his resume a bit with special teams but also gets to learn from a guy like BP...which can be helpful in terms of knowledge and his resume.

The program gets a more dedicated focus on special teams.

Hopefully this is a positive all the way around.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                    I really hope this is a win/win for everyone.

Things didn't work out with Paup and Fleck but he wants to keep coaching. Will be great to have BP back with the program.

Braun gets to expand his resume a bit with special teams but also gets to learn from a guy like BP...which can be helpful in terms of knowledge and his resume.

The program gets a more dedicated focus on special teams.

Hopefully this is a positive all the way around.

Someday I would love to hear from someone about what it is like on the inside of Fleck's program. The guy wears me out and I only get glimpses of him. From what I see, I would hate to be in a program with him.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Someday I would love to hear from someone about what it is like on the inside of Fleck's program. The guy wears me out and I only get glimpses of him. From what I see, I would hate to be in a program with him.
                      Agree. You gotta think his hyper-active elite schtick wears thin after a while.

It's great when you're winning. When you're not that's gotta get tired real fast.

Would love to know how it went down between he and BP...but I'm sure we never will.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I am just happy to see a complete coaching staff and a quiet preseason. Maybe this will signal a better start to season so we don't go down the must-win scenario at the end of the season again.

Comment

Complete guess on Paup...and Minnesota in general.

I listen to MPLS radio - a station that is the home of the Golden Gophers. The "cult of Fleck" wore off REALLY fast. That Row the Boat and super high octane thing he does doesn't work when you get those kind of results. It also rubs coaches, players and media the wrong way after a while. There was a ton of media questioning if he was "genuine" with his "shtick" when he was hired. He 100% is. That is who he is. That is both good and bad. There are number of coaches that didn't really like working for him. A number of players that didn't like playing for him. A large number of media members that aren't really on the Fleck train like 12 months ago. It was only 1 year, and growing pains need to happen and his program needs to be built yet. My guess is Paup, like everyone else that Fleck encounters, gets caught up in the aura he puts off. There are people that just hear him speak at conferences that come out wanting to run through barbwire reinforced brick walls for the guy. Short term that is perfect. When you're around that every second of every day, it takes a different type of person. My general guess is Paup is that kind of person. Fleck may have success at Minnesota yet if given 4-5 more years to build HIS program. He can recruit pretty well. Can he recruit well enough to win in the B10? We'll see. His first class was 38th in the country with 22 3* and 2 4* kids. The year before they were 58th in recruiting class. For 2019 they are currently 24th. But even at that they are middle of the pack in the B10. He also needs at least 4 more years to get his recruits in and developed to see how it turns out.

The results were also poor last year. The defensive line didn't get a ton of pressure on QBs - team had 7 total QBH all season and in the 80s for total sacks on the season in the FBS. Wasn't great at stopping the run (4.9 YPC). That isn't really entirely Paup's fault. He was trying to coach a squad that doesn't have the talent to compete at the level they are competing at.

I don't know that he was let go or decided to leave. I know he was looking at NFL jobs for a bit. I also know he didn't really want to coach at all before Farley talked him into coming to UNI to coach. I do think he realized he was much more comfortable at UNI than a place like Minnesota - at least for now.

I'm happy to have him back. The true downside to him going to Minnesota last year was taking that kid from Carroll with him that had committed to UNI.
                          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Which is needed.

UNI has always had someone that controlled special teams, but never anyone that focused on it. It's shown with how poor our special teams have been. Punt coverage has been very spotty. No consistency in what our punt returners are to do. Kick off coverage is the ulitmate hit or miss. No consistency. Either nail the guy at the 15 or give up a massive return. Field goals? Just horrific. 66% last year. Worse the year before. Missing PATs. Horrible blocking. Players not knowing they were on the PAT team and having to rush out causing issues on blocking or wasting a TO on the FG/PAT.

Having someone that can focus on the sets, personnel, etc. as well as working with the kickers every single day should make a massive difference
                              GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X