WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 20--@ SIU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DecadePanther View Post
    I think everyone is severely overreacting and over-analyzing everything. Yes we're having a rough year, but let's not jump to the conclusion that it means we have no talent, or we're not big/strong/fast/athletic/etc enough to compete each night with any given team. This team has gotten a lot better from the beginning of the year. Sure, last night's second half was bad, but that doesn't mean the other 6 1/2 Valley games we have played have been bad. We didn't have a lot of post depth going into this season to begin with. You can blame that on recruiting, kids not panning out, etc. but it is what it is. Losing Phyfe is what caused this team to spiral out of control. Losing Miles who was becoming a steady spot in the point guard role contributed to the spiral. Pickford coming into the season not being 100% has contributed. Biggie losing time has contributed. We're down to 8 scholarship players and some on here are complaining that we're not up to par when compared to a couple of our best overall seasons in program history. How much sense does that make?

Compare this year and players to our Sweet 16 team's roles. Remove Eglseder for the year, remove Adam Koch for an extended period of time, remove Johnny Moran for half of the season. Have Ali play at 75% for the first 3/4 of the season and tell me how good that team is? That's what we're facing this season. And instead of having Kwadzo at point we have a true freshman who has been playing extremely well outside of the turnovers. And instead of embracing this team for the fight they are showing half of you are dumping on them like we don't have the talent, and I'm calling BS. Now, I'm not saying that these guys are as good individually as the players I just mentioned, but these are the guys trying to fill those roles and playing those minutes like the guys from the Sweet 16 year. And instead of being blown out night in and night out like many realists would expect with the circumstances we're in, we're sitting two games out of first place with our worst Valley loss being by nine points on the road with 11 games to go. And I don't think I need to remind you of last year and where we were sitting at this time.

As I said earlier, we could really use a Bennett Koch this year. Someone we can throw the ball in to the paint when things aren't going well who can get a bucket on a consistent basis and stop the bleeding. McDonnell isn't that guy, and we're forcing him to play out of position this year -- and to his credit he's done a pretty good job of it too! Dahl has shown flashes, and I know Mudra has it out for Jacobson, but what he/she isn't realizing is that Dahl gets tired rather quickly. So we can't play Dahl 25 minutes a game -- he even said himself after a game earlier this year in the post-game interview that he was extremely tired. He has gotten much better from early in the year but he's still a work in progress. Southern was killing us from outside, hitting long jumpers and getting us into foul trouble by driving the lane and getting bumped on the way in. How exactly does Dahl solve that problem? That's why he didn't play, not because Jacobson doesn't like big guys. He isn't quick enough to defend on the perimeter and that's not a knock on Justin, that's just the truth for most 7 footers. So complaining about him not playing many minutes in the second half shows the lack of basketball IQ Mudra must have.

I for one am damn proud of how this team is playing and fighting night in and night out. Outside of the second half last night we're back to playing solid defense despite playing down some guys. They compete night in and night out and that's all we can ask as fans. We have the best coach in the Valley, and it's hysterical that some of you don't believe that anymore. A few of you even mentioned the A&M game broke Jacobson, and I can assure you that's nowhere near the truth. There were some tough lessons in that game that has lead to some extra preparation (i.e. having multiple guys inbound the ball), but his leadership has also helped make this team competitive on a nightly basis again, and they've made huge strides from early on in the season despite losing some guys. I'm not sure what more you could ask from your head coach.

I hope many of you on here are just speaking from frustration rather than looking at the reality of the situation. I get it, losing sucks. But this team will be very good again in the very near future. A wise man once told me, "Never get too high on the highs and never get too low on the lows". We will be back in the tournament soon enough. I'm not counting out a run in March this season either, but we will be back soon. And I hope many of you are still on board when we are. This team needs us now more than ever, so quit throwing a pity party, go to the games, stand up and cheer, and support this team until the clock hits 0:00! That's what will make for a special season. Let's get some momentum going, and let's start it by attending the game Saturday, being loud, and cheering on these kids like crazy! I'm so proud of this team, this program, and this university! I know many of you are as well. Let's make it hell to play the Panthers at the McLeod again! Who's with me?
    You are an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by decadepanther View Post
      i hope many of you on here are just speaking from frustration rather than looking at the reality of the situation. I get it, losing sucks. But this team will be very good again in the very near future. A wise man once told me, "never get too high on the highs and never get too low on the lows". We will be back in the tournament soon enough. I'm not counting out a run in march this season either, but we will be back soon. And i hope many of you are still on board when we are. This team needs us now more than ever, so quit throwing a pity party, go to the games, stand up and cheer, and support this team until the clock hits 0:00! That's what will make for a special season. Let's get some momentum going, and let's start it by attending the game saturday, being loud, and cheering on these kids like crazy! I'm so proud of this team, this program, and this university! I know many of you are as well. Let's make it hell to play the panthers at the mcleod again! Who's with me?
      Preach!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

You are an idiot
        Nice comeback. Your opinion is null and void

Comment

Originally posted by DecadePanther View Post
          I think everyone is severely overreacting and over-analyzing everything. Yes we're having a rough year, but let's not jump to the conclusion that it means we have no talent, or we're not big/strong/fast/athletic/etc enough to compete each night with any given team. This team has gotten a lot better from the beginning of the year. Sure, last night's second half was bad, but that doesn't mean the other 6 1/2 Valley games we have played have been bad. We didn't have a lot of post depth going into this season to begin with. You can blame that on recruiting, kids not panning out, etc. but it is what it is. Losing Phyfe is what caused this team to spiral out of control. Losing Miles who was becoming a steady spot in the point guard role contributed to the spiral. Pickford coming into the season not being 100% has contributed. Biggie losing time has contributed. We're down to 8 scholarship players and some on here are complaining that we're not up to par when compared to a couple of our best overall seasons in program history. How much sense does that make?

Compare this year and players to our Sweet 16 team's roles. Remove Eglseder for the year, remove Adam Koch for an extended period of time, remove Johnny Moran for half of the season. Have Ali play at 75% for the first 3/4 of the season and tell me how good that team is? That's what we're facing this season. And instead of having Kwadzo at point we have a true freshman who has been playing extremely well outside of the turnovers. And instead of embracing this team for the fight they are showing half of you are dumping on them like we don't have the talent, and I'm calling BS. Now, I'm not saying that these guys are as good individually as the players I just mentioned, but these are the guys trying to fill those roles and playing those minutes like the guys from the Sweet 16 year. And instead of being blown out night in and night out like many realists would expect with the circumstances we're in, we're sitting two games out of first place with our worst Valley loss being by nine points on the road with 11 games to go. And I don't think I need to remind you of last year and where we were sitting at this time.

As I said earlier, we could really use a Bennett Koch this year. Someone we can throw the ball in to the paint when things aren't going well who can get a bucket on a consistent basis and stop the bleeding. McDonnell isn't that guy, and we're forcing him to play out of position this year -- and to his credit he's done a pretty good job of it too! Dahl has shown flashes, and I know Mudra has it out for Jacobson, but what he/she isn't realizing is that Dahl gets tired rather quickly. So we can't play Dahl 25 minutes a game -- he even said himself after a game earlier this year in the post-game interview that he was extremely tired. He has gotten much better from early in the year but he's still a work in progress. Southern was killing us from outside, hitting long jumpers and getting us into foul trouble by driving the lane and getting bumped on the way in. How exactly does Dahl solve that problem? That's why he didn't play, not because Jacobson doesn't like big guys. He isn't quick enough to defend on the perimeter and that's not a knock on Justin, that's just the truth for most 7 footers. So complaining about him not playing many minutes in the second half shows the lack of basketball IQ Mudra must have.

I for one am damn proud of how this team is playing and fighting night in and night out. Outside of the second half last night we're back to playing solid defense despite playing down some guys. They compete night in and night out and that's all we can ask as fans. We have the best coach in the Valley, and it's hysterical that some of you don't believe that anymore. A few of you even mentioned the A&M game broke Jacobson, and I can assure you that's nowhere near the truth. There were some tough lessons in that game that has lead to some extra preparation (i.e. having multiple guys inbound the ball), but his leadership has also helped make this team competitive on a nightly basis again, and they've made huge strides from early on in the season despite losing some guys. I'm not sure what more you could ask from your head coach.

I hope many of you on here are just speaking from frustration rather than looking at the reality of the situation. I get it, losing sucks. But this team will be very good again in the very near future. A wise man once told me, "Never get too high on the highs and never get too low on the lows". We will be back in the tournament soon enough. I'm not counting out a run in March this season either, but we will be back soon. And I hope many of you are still on board when we are. This team needs us now more than ever, so quit throwing a pity party, go to the games, stand up and cheer, and support this team until the clock hits 0:00! That's what will make for a special season. Let's get some momentum going, and let's start it by attending the game Saturday, being loud, and cheering on these kids like crazy! I'm so proud of this team, this program, and this university! I know many of you are as well. Let's make it hell to play the Panthers at the McLeod again! Who's with me?
          I’m with you on supporting the team, and rooting for improvement. That’s legit. What’s also legit is pointing out that the makeup of the roster is a barrier to the program advancing beyond it’s current state. Specifically, too many guards who are basically the same guy in terms of basketball.

Keeping up the support is good though. Looking for improvement from some guys who will be key next year is big. A transfer with a different skill set would be nice too. That guy or guys should already be on the roster, and are not. That’s the frustrating part.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

You are an idiot
            Mudra, you need to stop it. You're free to voice your opinions, but you are not free to name call or be disrespectful.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I’m with you on supporting the team, and rooting for improvement. That’s legit. What’s also legit is pointing out that the makeup of the roster is a barrier to the program advancing beyond it’s current state. Specifically, too many guards who are basically the same guy in terms of basketball.

Keeping up the support is good though. Looking for improvement from some guys who will be key next year is big. A transfer with a different skill set would be nice too. That guy or guys should already be on the roster, and are not. That’s the frustrating part.

Well said. Support the team no matter what. And of course, be looking for areas of improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Well said. Support the team no matter what. And of course, be looking for areas of improvement.
                And hope that Jake puts a different emphasis on who he recruits as guards. Again, too many guys who are basically the same player, or who would play the same role on a good team.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                  Brown and Pickford average 7 and 4 points a game while just getting about 40% from the field. They scare nobody and that doesn’t scream athleticism to me.
                  Scoring does not equal athleticism. Not sure who taught you that, but that's wildly incorrect. Usain Bolt (sp?) is a phenomenal athlete with plenty of athleticism. If he were to step on to a college court I doubt he'd have over 4 points per game unless it was just on run outs while the other 9 guys fight over rebounds. Does that mean he's not athletic? By your own metric Washpun should have averaged 40 points per game because he was the most athletic guy we've ever had, correct?

Uni’s center shoots 3’s. Because the other four guys on the court don’t have that covered. I guess that explains why at times all five guys are hanging around 3 point arc.
                  Are you saying we shouldn't have a center that can also shoot? I'm pretty sure Tuttle having an outside shot was a huge bonus, no? Or Jake Koch? See Eglseder vs. Kansas, etc. Maybe I'm not understanding your point but I fail to see how having a big who can shoot is a bad thing to have. Also, McDonnell is a stretch four, not a true big. I believe I've already explained that one earlier.

Look at points per game and shooting percentage. It’s pretty awful from top to bottom.
                  You're correct. I would also challenge you to go look at the team stats the year O'Rear went down late. Look at their shooting percentages and points per game once you removed a true post from their offense. Shocker, they went down. That's exactly what this team is.

Create own shot (jacking 3’s don’t count) and getting to rim when everybody knows you are going to and still do it equals athlete.
                  So A.J. can't create his own shot? What about Isaiah? Pretty sure he's created his own shot at the end of the shot clock and knocked a few down as well. Pickford consistently gets into the lane and gets fouled on a regular basis despite not having a great outside shot, is that not athleticism? Heck even Haldeman has driven into the lane lately and gotten some points in the lane, but I guess those don't count on your accord?

There isnt a guy on this current roster that could carry Kwadzo’s jock. He is exactly what they need.
                  Kwadzo could get his jumper any time he wanted. But I fail to see how adding another jump shooter to this team is "exactly what they need". A.J. can get his own shot whenever he wants as well. A.J. turns it over more but he's also a true freshman. Could Kwadzo have done what A.J. is doing his freshman year?

i go to plenty of games. Sit in student section bleachers with lots of families with kids, been that way the past few years. If that equals big time basketball atmosphere to you maybe you could pick up the blue ray Incredibles movie on the way home.
                  Again with the reading comprehension. I never said "that equals big time basketball atmosphere". All I said was the McLeod was built for sound. It can get rather loud in there with 3k in attendance, I've heard it many many times. And I'll say it again, of course it would be great to have 7k in there with a name brand opponent night in and night out. But that's not the reality. It's tougher and tougher to get people to games. What I'm encouraging is people that do go to the games to be loud and support this team and make it tougher on opponents to play there. That was it. I'm not sure what you're insinuating with the Incredibles bit, but it sounds like you'd much rather be at home watching that movie than watching UNI who apparently is a consistent let down to you. You and Mudra do nothing but complain on here. You're nowhere to be found during successful seasons but quick to jump all over the program when they're having a tough go of things. I imagine from what you're saying when you were 18-22 you were absolutely perfect, top of your class and the most successful correct? I have an idea, how about you and Mudra pony up some major $ and then maybe your voices can be heard.
                  Here you go

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Mudra, you need to stop it. You're free to voice your opinions, but you are not free to name call or be disrespectful.
                    No worries. That's a high compliment coming from Mudra. He/She is about as negative as it gets. Life must be rough living that way.

Comment

• The student section is filled with more kids that would be happy with a juice box than actual college students is what I was getting at with the Incredibles bit.

The McLeod center is a nice building built as cheap as possible.if you want to try and convince people it is some architectural monument to sound go ahead. You likely will get some kool aid drinkers here to buy in.

this team will struggle if Green continues to be the best option at point guard. He isn’t quick enough to get to the rim against real competition and it hurts his best asset which is pure shooting.

This team doesn’t have a speck of talent in the post.

its why they take more 3’d than NBA teams some nights. They can’t do anything else.

This roster could play together until they are 25 years old and their ceiling would still be very low. They simply don’t have the correct mix of players.

Its why the roster needs turnover.

I have yet yet to talk to any season ticket holders that think any different. I have no idea who you people are but you are crazy to think this roster has what it takes.

this is suppose to be big time basketball with a million dollar coach. People on here a few years ago bla blaing about Gonzaga of the Midwest. Currently I doubt they would get through the Iowa Confetence undefeated.

Want people to to show up you have to win period.
                      Last edited by run&blade; 01-25-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DecadePanther View Post

Here you go
                        Some of your points are legit, but so are R&B’s about the makeup of the roster. The comment about “not holding Kwazdo’s jock” was probably about his ability to get to the rim, not chucking up jumpers. We currently have plenty of guys who can do that, and despite what you say, plenty of guys who can’t blow past someone to get to the rim and create for others.

I think R&B and Mudra are over the top negative at times, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have some good agruements. Being negative doesn’t mean always being wrong. It’s also a good thing to occasionally go after some “sacred cows” on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

It’s happened to me over and over on this site and nothing is ever done about it so save it. You can’t post an opinion on here without multiple people blasting you. It really gets old. Also, I’ve followed UNI more than most have been alive on here. If I say something negative you get labeled as not being a fan. Message boards are for venting. People need to relax and save the “not a fan” nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Some of your points are legit, but so are R&B’s about the makeup of the roster. The comment about “not holding Kwazdo’s jock” was probably about his ability to get to the rim, not chucking up jumpers. We currently have plenty of guys who can do that, and despite what you say, plenty of guys who can’t blow past someone to get to the rim and create for others.

I think R&B and Mudra are over the top negative at times, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have some good agruements. Being negative doesn’t mean always being wrong. It’s also a good thing to occasionally go after some “sacred cows” on this board.
                            From everything I've read Tray Croft should be a significant upgrade in the department of getting to the rim. Kid is a true point guard in that regard and his passing ability. AJ, to me, is a lot like Jordan Bohannon but longer. The length certainly helps in the defensive part of the game, but both benefit greatly when they have a guy to come in and play off the ball. Connor Mccaffery has done wonders for Bohannon's game at times this year because it allows him to move off the ball for at least part of the game and just focus on scoring. AJ has made a concerted effort to get to the rim, draw fouls, and shoot free throws the last few games. That seems pretty obvious to me. A lot of the guards have made that effort recently, notably Spencer and Tywhon. To say we don't have guys that are more than capable of getting to the rim against quality defenders is just not paying attention. Maybe not one on one, but using screens and moving without the ball the offense has produced some good looks in the paint. Just have to produce when they happen. That being said, JD has proven he can make a majority of his shots in the paint. FEED HIM THE BALL AND LET HIM GO TO WORK. The number of times we didn't do that when he had good position and the guard waited for him to come out and set a screen was ridiculous, especially when we clearly needed a basket early in the second half.

Comment

• Yeah, you lose all credibility when you try to compare AJ to Jordan Bohannon. Bohannon isn't even in the same stratosphere, he's got one skill that is flashy so it's way overvalued.

We get it, AJ is a white kid so we've got to find another white kid to compare him to. AJ would be getting minutes for every team in the country. Virginia is the best team in the country and they wanted him, badly. Imagine if we had one more ballhandler.
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                                Yeah, you lose all credibility when you try to compare AJ to Jordan Bohannon. Bohannon isn't even in the same stratosphere, he's got one skill that is flashy so it's way overvalued.

We get it, AJ is a white kid so we've got to find another white kid to compare him to. AJ would be getting minutes for every team in the country. Virginia is the best team in the country and they wanted him, badly. Imagine if we had one more ballhandler.
                                You must not have watched the Iowa game where Bohannon had his way with AJ the entire game. You can make the argument that AJ has the higher ceiling, but I would say they are pretty equal in ability right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X