WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSU's Marshall under investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU's Marshall under investigation

Wichita St. looking into coach Marshall's conduct
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ct-allegations
    via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
    Wichita State men's basketball coach Gregg Marshall told The Athletic he is being investigated by the school over allegations of misconduct.
    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
    - George Halas

There only surprise here to me is that the allegations are from the 15-16 season. I don't think they had much of a transfer issue then. I think it's safe to say that culture hasn't improved much with the the recent transfers.

Edit: There's a lot more detail in this article. If he makes it through this with a job, then wow...

https://watchstadium.com/sources-wic...mpression=true
    Last edited by CyCarp; 10-09-2020, 07:36 AM.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Or they'll send him to management training. Anger management, technically, but still.
      Last edited by sivert; 10-09-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

It had to be known in the WSU administration what was going on. Too many people involved. People looked the other way. Now they have hired a law firm to provide CYA.

The times have changed, and they are catching up with Greggggg - kinda like what happened with Bobby Knight.

Comment

"A majority of the players interviewed by Stadium for this story said they bonded together because of how Marshall treated them.

'We were tight-knit off the court,' a player said. 'We all wanted to beat Marshall up. If he wasn’t the head coach, we’d whoop his ass. I’m not a fan. I’m not rooting for him. I got tired of being mother(bleeped) and being called a son of a ***** every day.'

Added another: 'It’s crazy how us hating him made us closer. We all hated him.'”

From the story here:
          https://watchstadium.com/sources-wic...nt-10-08-2020/
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I think Gregg is done at Wichita.

At this point they'd be nuts to keep him. He can't keep a team together and now every recruit in the country knows he's a nightmare to play for.

And now that it's public and WSU is investigating it, it tarnishes their reputation if they keep him. They would be effectively endorsing it.

Ironic how this has worked out. Gregg said he was too big time for the MVC. Since his departure the MVC has sent a team to the Final Four while Wichita has not won an NCAA tourney game. And very possible Gregg never will.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Kind of ironic: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...y-shake-things

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                I think Gregg is done at Wichita.

At this point they'd be nuts to keep him. He can't keep a team together and now every recruit in the country knows he's a nightmare to play for.

And now that it's public and WSU is investigating it, it tarnishes their reputation if they keep him. They would be effectively endorsing it.

Ironic how this has worked out. Gregg said he was too big time for the MVC. Since his departure the MVC has sent a team to the Final Four while Wichita has not won an NCAA tourney game. And very possible Gregg never will.
                Unless I am missing news of an extension, his contract is finished in 2022. This as close as you can typically get to the end of a contract with a big name coach without offering an extension. For $3.5M a year, WSU is not getting the payback of his salary (Plus the 21% excise tax on his salary above $1m per year). Certainly when looking on the names on the highest paid coaches list.

If I had a tin foil hat laying around, I would speculate that this entire story was set in motion by a member of the WSU administration that wanted a reason not to renew Gregggg's contract. But that sort of thing would never happen in college sports.

Comment

I’m not sure of the credibility of this kind of journalism. I’ve never seen body shaming used in an article on men’s athletics. The attempt to paint Marshall as racist was pathetic. Not a lot of people on record. On the flip side, Woody Hayes/Bobby Knight went out of style decades ago. Gregg apparently has made a lot of enemies with his no class authoritarian style. If we can gamble on this I predict he’s gone. Jans at NM State might get a phone call.

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherhelmet View Post
                    I’m not sure of the credibility of this kind of journalism. I’ve never seen body shaming used in an article on men’s athletics. The attempt to paint Marshall as racist was pathetic. Not a lot of people on record. On the flip side, Woody Hayes/Bobby Knight went out of style decades ago. Gregg apparently has made a lot of enemies with his no class authoritarian style. If we can gamble on this I predict he’s gone. Jans at NM State might get a phone call.
                    On the Marshall story: Some have alleged that @GoodmanHoops paid Shaq Morris for the story. He denies that vehemently on KFH Radio with Bob & Jeff. Goodman says only 2 of 36 players he interviewed defended Marshall.

Maybe not all were quoted, but I'd say 34 of 36 not willing to defend Marshall is substantial.
                    Last edited by CyCarp; 10-09-2020, 11:02 PM.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                      Or they'll send him to management training. Anger management, technically, but still.
                      "That's not funny. In fact, it's pretty freakin' unfunny! AGGGHHHHH!!!!"
                      - Gregg Marshall
                      - Michael Scott

Comment

The amazing thing is that Gregg is defending himself by saying "my coaching style isn't for everyone."

Alright, cool, great, following a guy in your car and trying to punch him isn't a coaching style, ya jerk.

Comment

Matt Norlander at cbssports, thinking about who might replace Greggg at WSU, names Beilein and Ben Jacobson.
                          Its hard to believe WSU would be able to pull him away.

Comment

I'm just glad his name is being thrown around for these jobs, that means we're/he's relevant again. As for the possibility, no. Not a chance, not this year, when he's got arguably his best ever team, and then the next year which will arguably be better. Mind you that he/his family like the area and he probably doesn't feel like doing more "rebuilding," and also having to answer to mega-donors. They'd need to really back up the Brink's truck, and it's not like he's making chump change at UNI.

Comment

Working...
                            X