WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2023 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's an athlete, that's for sure.

Comment

• Duax-Heise-Wolf are going to command the large share of wing minutes

Rubin might get some 4 minutes if Tytan is out but I don’t see him playing tons outside the 5 esp with our relative lack of size​

Comment

• On a rebuilding team, all minutes are or should be up for grabs. Whoever is better will get the minutes no matter who's back from the previous year's mediocre team.

Comment

• If we can get a real threat inside presence and get some more motion, then there's a place for Wolf to be the open shooter, at which he will really excel. But I kinda think he'll lose minutes to Wesley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Username View Post
            Duax-Heise-Wolf are going to command the large share of wing minutes

Rubin might get some 4 minutes if Tytan is out but I don’t see him playing tons outside the 5 esp with our relative lack of size​
            This. Wes is just not a wing. Wings are more outside than inside guys. They put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. They take midrange jumpers, fadeaways and stepback threes. They will back down the occasional smaller defender but more ball handling and shooting than a 4. This is Duax-Heise-Wolf.

Tytan is a classic 4. A banger type with less offensive pollish but a glass cleaner and defender. Ability to hit the outside jumper but not really his game. Tuttle was a more modern 4. More offensive pollish with several back to the basket moves but also a more consistent shooter and passer. Wes is a 4 and will be more like Seth than Tytan.

We don't really have a 5 man this season. Cole and James are both more 4 types, although very different in skillet. If Austin returns next year he will take all the minutes he can handle and Cole/James will spell him because we have no backup 5, ala Dahl. But Wes playing along side Austin could be a great tandem.

I'm curious where Pock's minutes come from. He's closer to a wing than Wes is, but we are deep at both 3 and 4 next year. Could he redshirt? If anyone takes Wolf's minutes it will be Pock. But let's face it, Duax is taking Heise's minutes right now, and Wolf is taking what would've been Duax minutes. With Nate's return and Duax emergence, there won't be many minutes left over for Wolf or Pock. Jake has a very fun dilemma on his hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
              This. Wes is just not a wing. Wings are more outside than inside guys. They put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. They take midrange jumpers, fadeaways and stepback threes. They will back down the occasional smaller defender but more ball handling and shooting than a 4. This is Duax-Heise-Wolf.
              Tytan is a classic 4. A banger type with less offensive pollish but a glass cleaner and defender. Ability to hit the outside jumper but not really his game. Tuttle was a more modern 4. More offensive pollish with several back to the basket moves but also a more consistent shooter and passer. Wes is a 4 and will be more like Seth than Tytan.
              We don't really have a 5 man this season. Cole and James are both more 4 types, although very different in skillet. If Austin returns next year he will take all the minutes he can handle and Cole/James will spell him because we have no backup 5, ala Dahl. But Wes playing along side Austin could be a great tandem.
              I'm curious where Pock's minutes come from. He's closer to a wing than Wes is, but we are deep at both 3 and 4 next year. Could he redshirt? If anyone takes Wolf's minutes it will be Pock. But let's face it, Duax is taking Heise's minutes right now, and Wolf is taking what would've been Duax minutes. With Nate's return and Duax emergence, there won't be many minutes left over for Wolf or Pock. Jake has a very fun dilemma on his hands.
              I would say there will be a lot of guys playing 10-15 minutes a game, and no one will really average more than 30-32. The 2015 team Tuttle had the most minutes, but he didn't play much more than 30 a night. Everyone else was under that, 9 guys played every game and Bennett appeared in 28 out of 35. It was the following year with Bo, Jesperson, and Wes where Jake started really relying on his starters for minutes and went away from the "bench mob".

Comment

• Wolf's minutes aren't going anywhere. You don't take that shooting off the floor and he did a better job on DeVries than anybody else did the other night.

I get it, he doesn't LOOK athletic but he always seems to get to the spots he needs to get to and is probably our most fundamentally sound defender right now.

It's a fun problem to have for next year.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  Wolf's minutes aren't going anywhere. You don't take that shooting off the floor and he did a better job on DeVries than anybody else did the other night.
                  I get it, he doesn't LOOK athletic but he always seems to get to the spots he needs to get to and is probably our most fundamentally sound defender right now.

It's a fun problem to have for next year.
                  Agreed, although I don't agree about the defense part. Everytime Wolf got switched onto Penn Wednesday he got destroyed. He did do a good job in Des Moines though. I'm foreseeing, best case scenario, we have a rotation like this:

Born
                  Heise
                  Tytan
                  Trey
                  Phyfe

Cole
                  Duax
                  Wolf
                  Ege
                  Rubin

Add Pock or Betz into the rotation if Phyfe is a no go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Agreed, although I don't agree about the defense part. Everytime Wolf got switched onto Penn Wednesday he got destroyed. He did do a good job in Des Moines though. I'm foreseeing, best case scenario, we have a rotation like this:

Born
                    Heise
                    Tytan
                    Trey
                    Phyfe

Cole
                    Duax
                    Wolf
                    Ege
                    Rubin

No one in the league has done anything against Penn in the last month and Logan was at least disciplined enough to stay on the floor. Seriously though, go back and watch him on DeVries in the last 12 minutes. There's a reason he was on the floor in the second half and Duax wasn't.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Born
                      Heise
                      Tytan
                      Trey
                      Phyfe

Cole
                      Duax
                      Wolf
                      Ege
                      Rubin

These lineups are what I'm talking about when I say we will have two starting 5 calber groups. This doesn't even include RJ. Our depth is going to be nuts next year as long as health is good. I'm guessing that there may be some adjustments to personnel within these groups, but this would have to be the deepest team in the conference. Jake is going to have to figure out rotations, which is not an easy task, but I am pumped to see how it all shakes out.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

These lineups are what I'm talking about when I say we will have two starting 5 calber groups. This doesn't even include RJ. Our depth is going to be nuts next year as long as health is good. I'm guessing that there may be some adjustments to personnel within these groups, but this would have to be the deepest team in the conference. Jake is going to have to figure out rotations, which is not an easy task, but I am pumped to see how it all shakes out.
                        I just don't see RJ getting to the floor year 1. He certainly appears to be the real deal, but we already have Trey, Bowen, Ege, and in case of emergency break glass Cole. I just can't see him on the floor from the jump, though I could be wrong.

Comment

I just don't see RJ getting to the floor year 1. He certainly appears to be the real deal, but we already have Trey, Bowen, Ege, and in case of emergency break glass Cole. I just can't see him on the floor from the jump, though I could be wrong.
                          You're wrong. Big time.

He is a the true ballhandling, distributing point guard that this team doesn't have right now and needs badly. Plus, Michigan's Mr Basketball isn't coming to UNI to sit.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

You're wrong. Big time.

He is a the true ballhandling, distributing point guard that this team doesn't have right now and needs badly. Plus, Michigan's Mr Basketball isn't coming to UNI to sit.
                            One little follow up to this. Recently they put out a video of RJ's assists from the last couple years, and, wow. It's hard not to imagine what he and Wes can do together. He is going to open up the defense with his passing. Think, Ege, but with more control. Guys are going to have good looks under the hoop or open kickouts. He is just special at getting the ball where it needs to go.

Last edited by PantherAlum09; 02-17-2023, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I think RJ walks onto campus ahead of Ege. Were it not for Born's size, he might even start day 1. But we can't play Bowen next to RJ very often. It's just too small.
                              There's a strong chance Ege is not back next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

I think RJ walks onto campus ahead of Ege. Were it not for Born's size, he might even start day 1. But we can't play Bowen next to RJ very often. It's just too small.
                                There's a strong chance Ege is not back next season.
                                I'll push back.

While I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes the odd man out, he's starting to get some minutes, showing some promise, and unlike RJ is able to play next to Bowen in spurts. Don't discount the added year in the program either. Ege wasn't a part of the plan until this summer, another year could help with settling in.

Comment

Working...
                                X