WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball opens Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball opens Friday

Just read that Jaydlin Seehase will not be a member of the team this year. I thought she was returning. What happened?

I was going to post this question also - the Courier article mentioned that a returning player was forced to retired due to medical reasons, and I noticed that Seehase was not in the team photo on the website (though still listed on the roster). IIRC, she's had injury problems in the past, which opened the door for Holterhaus and Arndorfer to play a lot as freshmen. Bummer for Seehase, as she was pretty good as a freshman herself.

Also, any news on whether fans will be allowed? Currently, there's only one TV game on the schedule, apart from the Creighton game on YouTube.
    Last edited by in_the_stands; 01-21-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Fans will be allowed, as of now they're still advertising Purple/White/Black/Pink out days.

Comment

Good, thank you.

Comment

Going to watch UNI at Drake in the Knapp Center tonight. My first attendance at a Panther's sporting event since the March Madness in St Louis. Hope the Panther VB team come away with better results against Drake than the men's basketball team had last March

Comment

Ouch............

Comment

It was ugly watching the preseason #9 beat the #1. The Panthers are very young and you could see it. Unfortunately we had a player go down with an injury in the first set. Hope the injury is not too bad. Coach P will have to do her best job coaching this year

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
                It was ugly watching the preseason #9 beat the #1. The Panthers are very young and you could see it. Unfortunately we had a player go down with an injury in the first set. Hope the injury is not too bad. Coach P will have to do her best job coaching this year
                Preseason polls are unreliable at best even during normal times.
                Preseason polls for a season that was delayed a semester and still held in the middle of a pandemic, are even more so.

Sucks seeing UNI VB lose to Drake, but it doesn't surprise me given just how young the team is and the injuries that have hampered training/practice (and then losing Maizy to injury during the match).

I think Tayler has some exciting potential at the setter position, perhaps the possibility of developing into a Bre Payton type player as a lefty setter who can launch those sneak attacks. But there will be growing pains with any true-freshman setter, just like there would be when playing with a true freshman QB in football or a true freshman PG in basketball.
                Not to mention how the passing left quite a bit to be desired, resulting in struggling to being able to get the offense in system.
                I have no clue how UNO or Creighton are this season, but those matches might be tough to watch too.

Frankly, I'm not sure just how much any of this is going to matter. With so few non-conference matches, and a reduced NCAA tournament field (48 instead of 64, last I heard), I'm not holding my breath on the MVC (or other mid-major conferences) getting at-large bids. So it will really only come down to making the conference tournament (which I heard is expanded to 8 teams instead of the normal 6; I'm guessing by eliminating the byes) and being able to win 3 matches that week.

And that is assuming that the season doesn't end up being called off prior to reaching that point.

Comment

Didn't Bre Payton start at setter as a freshman, or am I mis-remembering?

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                    Didn't Bre Payton start at setter as a freshman, or am I mis-remembering?
                    redshirted in 2007

Started 25 matches at setter as a redshirt freshman, appearing in 86 sets ... was named to the Missouri Valley Conference All-Freshman team in 2008. (I believe Jessa Benson was the starting setter at the beginning of that season, then Payton took over, and after the season, Benson transferred to Wisconsin and took over setting duties there after their previous setter had transferred out)

Was the MVC Player of the Year for three consecutive years (2009-2011) after that.

So she didn't play in her true freshman year, nor did she start at the beginning of her redshirt freshman season, but then she started to excel.

I think I remember reading/hearing somewhere that the last time UNI had a true freshman starting at setter was Kara Galer in 1992.

Comment

Ouch - 47 straight wins halted.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                        Ouch - 47 straight wins halted.
                        the weird circumstances of this year is geared toward breaking streaks.
                        like ending MBB's streak of games with a made 3-point basket.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                          redshirted in 2007

Started 25 matches at setter as a redshirt freshman, appearing in 86 sets ... was named to the Missouri Valley Conference All-Freshman team in 2008. (I believe Jessa Benson was the starting setter at the beginning of that season, then Payton took over, and after the season, Benson transferred to Wisconsin and took over setting duties there after their previous setter had transferred out)

Was the MVC Player of the Year for three consecutive years (2009-2011) after that.

So she didn't play in her true freshman year, nor did she start at the beginning of her redshirt freshman season, but then she started to excel.

I think I remember reading/hearing somewhere that the last time UNI had a true freshman starting at setter was Kara Galer in 1992.
                          Ah, thanks. I do remember Benson transferring and thinking "wow, we let a player go who was good enough for Wisconsin?!" but that worked out well, obviously.

The TV announcers for the Drake game were saying that Alden was UNI's first freshman to start at setter since '92, and I thought of Peyton and figured they'd gotten some bad info.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                            The TV announcers for the Drake game were saying that Alden was UNI's first freshman to start at setter since '92, and I thought of Peyton and figured they'd gotten some bad info.
                            I wasn't overly impressed by the announcers so I didn't pay much attention to what they were saying.
                            Alden was the first true freshman to start at setter since '92, but there have been redshirt freshmen who started
                            they were also talking about first time occurrences for the UNI program under Bobbi Petersen, which only covers the past 20 years or so. (haha, "only")

Comment

UNI fell to UNO 3 sets to 1.
                              Panthers seem to really struggle with serve receive and passing, meaning they seldom get their offense in system. Their streak of seasons with a winning record might end up meeting the same fate this year as their streak of wins over Drake. But they're young and the season is just getting started. Perhaps they'll be able to improve and fair a bit better in the rest of the conference matches.
                              Unfortunately, some of the other Valley teams have returned more of their experienced players and have gotten off to decent starts.
                              Illinois State picked up a win over #20 Marquette today (after losing to them last night), Drake won their second match of the season, knocking off WIU, and MSU is starting 2-0 with wins over Oral Roberts and South Dakota

Meanwhile, UNI has a road match against #15 Creighton tomorrow, then a home match against Drake and against #20 Marquette next weekend. So starting out 0-5 isn't that unlikely.
                              Last edited by vbfan19; 01-23-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X