WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball opens Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been a pretty down year for UNI athletics as a whole. Lot of hopes/streaks that are cratering this year.

Comment

I thought we looked a lot like the lower-tier MVC teams that we used to feast on. I'm sure we'll improve as the season goes on, but it's hard to look at the roster and see the next Karlie Taylor or Piper Thomas in there. Even in 2019 with a lot more quality veterans, we had stretches where we didn't play well.

I was wondering who the strange guy was in our huddle - it had been so long since we'd played that I'd forgotten coach Mahi had left and been replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
        Ouch - 47 straight wins halted.
        Yes, none of our current player roster was born the last time we lost to Drake.

Comment

Saw a little improvement in the match today, but the Panthers have a long way to go in this COVID season. The loss of 4 seniors really hurt this team. This team is very young as shown today by 8 of the 11 that played were freshmen or sophomores. . Also hope we have some solid recruits coming in next year. Maybe have to look at the transfer portal for some quick help. For this year the goal could end up being able to show improvement by years end. Just not use to seeing this for the Panthers in VB.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
            Maybe have to look at the transfer portal for some quick help.
            There is a setter that transferred from Iowa State to UNI, but since the Big 12 played in the fall, and she played with the Cyclones then, she isn't eligible to play in matches for UNI until this coming fall.

Comment

Thanks for the info about the setter transferring from ISU However I really think we needs some hitter with some power to their spikes like we had recently with Piper and Taylor.

Comment

adjusted hopes for the season: qualifying for the conference tournament
                (I read that they expanded it to an 8 team tournament for this season instead of the normal 6, so that means not finishing in the bottom 2)

I do think that Drake is much better than the 9th place that they were predicted in the preseason poll, but it is even more obvious that UNI is not the #1 team in the conference.

Comment

First time Drake has swept us since 1982. OUCH!

Comment

This week's matches have given me back some hope. Sunday's collapse was not good, and there are definitely some things that need more work. But UNI's players are making improvements and hopefully gaining confidence.

Illinois State will be a challenge, especially if all their roster is healthy (I believe they were missing a key player or two during their losses at Indiana State and Bradley). And any of the teams are capable of beating UNI if the Panthers get into a funk and the other team is clicking.

But I'm no longer worried about qualifying for the conference tournament (especially if it has been expanded to 8 teams for this year), and I'm even regaining some hope for the possibility of winning 8 of their remaining 12 regular season matches to preserve the .500+ season streak.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      But I'm no longer worried about qualifying for the conference tournament (especially if it has been expanded to 8 teams for this year), and I'm even regaining some hope for the possibility of winning 8 of their remaining 12 regular season matches to preserve the .500+ season streak.
                      If we can steal one from ISUr, I think that the .500 streak is all but maintained.

Comment

(Insert Dwight Schrute voice now) Question (two actually): One, why is women's volleyball the only sport that I've seen where the players are wearing masks during the game, and, second, is this only a requirement in the Missouri Valley conference? I just saw a Big 10 VB game on t.v. where the players were not wearing them.
                        Which winning percentage is better? 66% or 63%?

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post
                          (Insert Dwight Schrute voice now) Question (two actually): One, why is women's volleyball the only sport that I've seen where the players are wearing masks during the game, and, second, is this only a requirement in the Missouri Valley conference? I just saw a Big 10 VB game on t.v. where the players were not wearing them.
                          because volleyball players (particularly Missouri Valley Conference volleyball players) are smarter and more civically responsible than other athletes that aren't wearing masks.

Comment

Today's UNI @ SIU volleyball match was certainly an interesting one. Or so it appears by looking at the stats (which was the only way to follow it, since SIU didn't have a video stream for it).
                            Panthers couldn't break 20 points in either of the first two sets (18-25, 19-25), but then they managed to pull off 3 consecutive 2 point set victories (29-27, 25-23, 15-13) to win the match.

Looks like they once again struggled on serve receive, giving up 12 aces (and the fact that they were called for 4 ball-handling errors makes me think that they were struggling to make decent passes to get the offense in system). Thankfully, SIU also struggled on serve recieve, as UNI was able to score 11 aces off their own. but that was also canceled out by 11 service errors for UNI. (SIU only had 3 service errors)

But the important thing is that they kept fighting and got the win
                            Last edited by vbfan19; 02-23-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X