WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Free" Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Free" Year

Probably a stupid question, but this year is apparently a free year of eligibility. So, assuming that there was a freshman good enough, could it be possible for a freshman to be a national champ this year and then become a five-time champ?
    Which winning percentage is better? 66% or 63%?

Yes Thats been a recruiting point

Comment

Originally posted by iron panther View Post
      Yes Thats been a recruiting point
      Thanks for the reply. Doesn't seem exactly fair to past wrestlers who could have possibly done the same, just as I've never found it comparable when wrestlers in the past could only win three national titles.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't seem exactly fair to past wrestlers who could have possibly done the same, just as I've never found it comparable when wrestlers in the past could only win three national titles.
        It wasn’t “fair” then either but everyone has managed to survive somehow. In a pandemic season it’s ok to loosen the rules.

The whole redshirting concept is lame and arbitrary, anyway. Just give everyone 5 years and be done with it. Eliminate redshirts, 6th years, etc. (Once the current crop of athletics graduate.)

Comment

Probably a stupid question, but this year is apparently a free year of eligibility. So, assuming that there was a freshman good enough, could it be possible for a freshman to be a national champ this year and then become a five-time champ?
          Pretty much the only guy who could do it (barring a HUGE breakout from a freshman) was Yianni Dakomihalis, but since the Ivy League is out this year, he can't.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

Pretty much the only guy who could do it (barring a HUGE breakout from a freshman) was Yianni Dakomihalis, but since the Ivy League is out this year, he can't.
            I guess I never thought that one through, but being that some schools have no season this year, that will also include them nor participating in their conference tournaments and the national tournament?

If so, that's yet another asterisk that's going to get added to individual wrestlers who were affected by the COVID over a two year/season period. None of it seems fair or congruent to me.

Comment

I guess I never thought that one through, but being that some schools have no season this year, that will also include them nor participating in their conference tournaments and the national tournament?

If so, that's yet another asterisk that's going to get added to individual wrestlers who were affected by the COVID over a two year/season period. None of it seems fair or congruent to me.
              Sorry, I don't really understand your question. If a school isn't participating in wrestling this season, then, yes, those athletes cannot enter their conference tournament.

Comment

Working...
              X