WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago

Hey guys, I know this is a little random but just getting as much info as I can. I'm going to a concert in Chicago at the end of June at a venue near Wrigley Field and can't really decide whether it would be better to park up there or take the train. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
    Originally posted by rockybison
    You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Re: Chicago

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post
    Hey guys, I know this is a little random but just getting as much info as I can. I'm going to a concert in Chicago at the end of June at a venue near Wrigley Field and can't really decide whether it would be better to park up there or take the train. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
    Do not park anywhere in the vicinity. You have two options, they both start with hotwire.

1. Get a hotel by O'Hare, you can get a four star by O'Hare and spend about $70. Trust me, these hotels out there are palaces. Get on the blue line at the Rosemont Stop and take it to Addison. Once at the Addison stop, walk to the top of the train stop and wait for bus #152. This bus will take you to Wrigley Field in about 10 minutes on non-Cubs home game dates. For the ride back, hail a cab to the blue line stop, then take the train home.

2. Get a hotel on the "Loop / Grant Park Area" or the "Mag Mile / Gold Coast area," this is going to cost you closer to $90-$100 but you get to stay downtown, which is awesome. Anywhere downtown along State street you can catch the red line. Take the red line north and get off at the Addison stop, once you step off the train you will see Wrigley field, it is a block away.

Once you get to the train station, buy a two day pass (they don't sell one day passes anymore), that will cost you $14 and you will be able to ride any train, any bus, in Chicago. This will be cheaper than parking your car for one night around Wrigley and will save you a TON of hassle.

PS Your crazy if you don't go to Giordanos on Belmont if you are close to Wrigley for dinner. Best pizza in the world.
    Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Jeg is correct. You also have the option of staying further out in the suburbs somewhere and taking the Amtrack to Union Station, then walking a few blocks to the Red Line for the trip to Lakeview.

We always stay downtown, ourselves. Be prepared for the cost. You can get a room for $100 or less, but that's not a hotel that I'm going to stay in (unless you got lucky on Priceline). Generally it's going to cost, assuming you want to stay someplace relatively nice, at least double that or more. Plus, some hotels won't give you overnight parking, and that's going to be another $25-$30 per night more. Of course the upside to this is staying downtown (I HIGHLY recommend the same thing as Jeg...Giordano's on a Chicago trip is key, but there are a ton of locations). From downtown there is so much to do and see (we love just walking around the city and seeing the people and things), plus it's very easy from there to travel to any point in one of the great cities of the world.

Comment

In June, my wife are going out for a Cubs series, we are staying at the Ambassador East, a 4 star hotel in Chicago's gold coast (area north of downtown by State and Rush, it is the 6 block area north of the John Hancock tower). Our total bill for two nights was $158. Chicago's gold coast is possibly one of the nices areas until you get to the burbs.

If you have any questions about getting a great rate at a great hotel, pm me.

Comment

Jeg is the king of Priceline/Hotwire. Anybody can get a good rate, but he's got it down to a science where he generally knows which exact hotel he is getting beforehand rather than just knowing how many stars it rates.

I'm going to Raleigh/Durham for a wedding in July. I've got a room booked at the hotel where the reception is, and need to be in that hotel, but didn't get a great rate. I know I could get a better rate using hotwire, but don't know how to get the right hotel. I may need your magic on that Jeg.

Going to Seattle for a cruise in August also and probably going to stay a day before and/or after the cruise. Any recommendations there?
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

As a resident, here's my two cents:

1. Don't stay in the suburbs. Naperville and West Des Moines are identical, and there's no point in vacationing in West Des Moines. This is true of any suburb. Stay in the city.

2. Leave the car at your hotel. As a resident, I never drive anywhere. Cabs, the El, and buses are your best bet.

3. You can stay closer to downtown/River North/Gold Coast etc., or you could look for a place a little closer to Wrigley. Search on the following zip codes: 60614 (Lincoln Park), 60657 (Lakeview), 60613 (Lakeview). Gold Coast/River North/Streeterville zips are 60610 and 60611 if you want to look there as well. Any of these are very nice areas with tons to see and do if you're from out-of-town. There's a pretty nice Best Western at the corner of Clark and Diversey, and another hotel a block or two away. Try those first, as you'll be closer to your destination. Wrigley Field is located in the Lakeview neighborhood, FWIW.

4. Park the car and leave it until you drive back. Sorry for being redundant, but it deserves mention twice.

P.S. Also try the Belden Stratford. It's a very cool old building right across from the Lincoln Park Zoo. It also happens to be the building next door to mine, so I've got a good feel for it. It could be pricey though, as most of the people who look like guests appear to be older and well off. That said, give it a shot - it's in a great location for what you've got going on.
            Last edited by SteinPizza; 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Pay up and stay on the magnificent mile. Probably the 3rd best shopping steet/venue in the US. Women love it.
              "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                Jeg is the king of Priceline/Hotwire. Anybody can get a good rate, but he's got it down to a science where he generally knows which exact hotel he is getting beforehand rather than just knowing how many stars it rates.

I'm going to Raleigh/Durham for a wedding in July. I've got a room booked at the hotel where the reception is, and need to be in that hotel, but didn't get a great rate. I know I could get a better rate using hotwire, but don't know how to get the right hotel. I may need your magic on that Jeg.

Going to Seattle for a cruise in August also and probably going to stay a day before and/or after the cruise. Any recommendations there?
                Gonzo, my wife is from Seattle. Let me know what you want to do there. Great City and August is a great time to be there.
                "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the advice guys. We still haven't decided if we're staying over or driving back that night but if we decide to stay, I'll definitely ask for your help Jeg. Thanks a bunch. Also, if we are looking to just drive back, where would be the best place to park and then ride the train into town/up to Wrigley?
                  You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post
                    Ok. Thanks for the advice guys. We still haven't decided if we're staying over or driving back that night but if we decide to stay, I'll definitely ask for your help Jeg. Thanks a bunch. Also, if we are looking to just drive back, where would be the best place to park and then ride the train into town/up to Wrigley?
                    The Blue Line Rosemont Stop right off of N River Road. its by O'Hare and outside of town enough you shouldn't have to worry about traffic. It is 9 Miles north of I-88 (or whatever road 88 becomes.)

Comment

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
                      The Blue Line Rosemont Stop right off of N River Road. its by O'Hare and outside of town enough you shouldn't have to worry about traffic. It is 9 Miles north of I-88 (or whatever road 88 becomes.)
                      Ok, that's what I was thinking too, that something out by the airport would be good.

Comment

I used to attend the occasional show/concert at a coffeehouse type place in the Wrigleyville area. I was always able to find a place to park within a few blocks walking. But there wasn't any baseball game to worry about. but that was a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                          But there wasn't any baseball game to worry about.
                          No baseball game for me to worry about either. It's a Sunday night show at the Metro during the Cubs-Sox interleague series at the Cell. Hopefully it's nice weather as we're looking to spend the whole day in town...

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                            As a resident, here's my two cents:

1. Don't stay in the suburbs. Naperville and West Des Moines are identical, and there's no point in vacationing in West Des Moines. This is true of any suburb. Stay in the city.
                            This. Always.

Comment

I once drove into Chicago during Taste of Chicago. Stupid Amtrak.
                              "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Working...
                              X