WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chicago

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
    Hey Jeg, I've never used priceline or hotwire. What's your luck been with getting decent accommodations, in the area you want, at a very good price point? By luck, I mean 40%, 60% etc. Thanks, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
      Hey Jeg, I've never used priceline or hotwire. What's your luck been with getting decent accommodations, in the area you want, at a very good price point? By luck, I mean 40%, 60% etc. Thanks, just curious.
      I've had great luck. My Aunt is staying in a 3 star hotel in Rapid City right now for $35.
      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Awesome! I can't say enough how thankful I am for all the help so far people. Thanks a ton. Looking at some of the options before you mentioned those News, the Four Points was the one I was leaning towards. Jeg, I'll probably end up going that route and using hotwire or priceline and taking what I can get I guess. There can't really be a bad hotel in downtown Chicago right? Anyway, I pretty much HAVE to have a room with two beds due to the fact that one of my friends is a female and she will, I'm sure, want her own bed. Most of the options I've looked up have two double beds available so that's a plus.

Only problem I've encountered so far is that I just looked up what was going on in the city on that date and found out that it is the same week/week and a half as Taste of Chicago. I've heard that it can get pretty busy during those few days so I'm a little curious to see how that will work out.

Once again, thanks for all the help everyone has provided!
        Originally posted by rockybison
        You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

Get the single bed. When you walk into the room, engage in the following conversation:

Girl: Uh, there's only one bed.
          You: (Kicks at the floor) Shoot. I ordered twin beds!
          G: Really? What are we going to do?
          Y: (Takes off shirt) I don't know. I bought the room online, so, uh, we can't change it.
          G: We should call the desk
          Y: (Kicks off shoes) Oh, I don't want to be trouble. I can just, uh, sit on the floor.
          G: No, I can't let you do that.
          Y: (Takes off pants) Well, if you say so....
          G: How could this happen?!?!?!
          Y: (Points to crotch) HOTWIRE!

Comment

When you select 4 stars, no, you won't get a bad hotel. Are there bad hotels in Chicago? Sure, there are lots of them. They are all under 2 star, 2.5 star category, maybe some in the 3 star, but anything 3.5-5 you are golden.

When needing two beds understand that it is not garanteed. However, I have had 90+% luck always having 2 beds. Something you need to remember is that 3 out of every 4 hotel rooms in the world have two beds in it. What I would do if I were you is book it, then call the hotel directly, and ask them nicely to request two beds and give them the reason why. Maybe 4 times in the last 5 years I have had one bed when I needed two. When I say I have used priceline / hotwire 100 times in the last 5 years I am not exagerating.
            Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

You are promised to be in the area you choose, they will show you a detailed map of the area your hotel will be in. It is specific right down to the street. You are 100% going to be in the area you select. When wanting a decent room, I would always look 3.5 star or higher. When you are looking for a room in a larger city this is almost always the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                Nice site. I found the hotel I need in Durham on there that a guy just got for $49. I'm paying $89 under a "group" rate. Only problem is I need that exact hotel, my wife would kill me if we weren't with the rest of her family, and there is one other hotel in the area with the same star rating and amenity list.

I need 3 nights. Can you try something for 1 night, then if you get what you want go back in and take it for another 2?
                Gonzo, go for it. Whats the worst thing that can happen, you don't get the hotel, save $120 and buy your wife something nice. Or, you get the hotel, save $120, then still buy her something nice and be the greatest husband in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post

Only problem I've encountered so far is that I just looked up what was going on in the city on that date and found out that it is the same week/week and a half as Taste of Chicago. I've heard that it can get pretty busy during those few days so I'm a little curious to see how that will work out.

Don't worry about Taste. It's only busy if you're staying near Grant Park. If you go, it's very crowded, with a few good musical groups. However, it's also full of tourists and suburbanites. Most city residents avoid it. If you're looking to do something a little more "native" so to speak, check out the street fairs going on during your visit: http://chicago.metromix.com/events/a...339943/content. The St. Jahosephat Summerfest is a good example of something a little more neighborhood like that attracts a lot of northside dwelling single people like myself. Also, check out the Gay Pride Parade if you're in town that weekend. It's good people watching and entertainment. Both events are more northside"ish" than Taste, semi-near Wrigley, and hence aren't afflicted by any Taste related congestion . The Pride Parade, however, does attract a few hundred thousand people, it's just stretched over several blocks.

Lastly, get out to the lakefront. Renting a bike and hitting the trail would be a great way to spend an afternoon, followed by beverages and live music at Castaways on North Avenue Beach. Also aquatic and HIGHLY recommended, the guided architectural tours of the Chicago River and lakefront. It's fascinating history, and the views of the loop from the river are unmatched. These are done via boat and they're docked along the river downtown near Michigan Ave. Tours of that type also leave from Navy Pier. Just make sure you're taking a guided tour and not a Water Taxi.

Comment

followed by beverages and live music at Castaways on North Avenue Beach.
                    Castaways in my opinion was a huge rip off, however, there were a lot of people there and if more time was spent there, might have been worth it... my girlfriend asked for a margarita and got a dixi-cup full of crushed ice and some lime flavoring.
                    Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Don't worry about Taste. It's only busy if you're staying near Grant Park. If you go, it's very crowded, with a few good musical groups. However, it's also full of tourists and suburbanites. Most city residents avoid it.

Lastly, get out to the lakefront. Renting a bike and hitting the trail would be a great way to spend an afternoon, followed by beverages and live music at Castaways on North Avenue Beach. Also aquatic and HIGHLY recommended, the guided architectural tours of the Chicago River and lakefront. It's fascinating history, and the views of the loop from the river are unmatched. These are done via boat and they're docked along the river downtown near Michigan Ave. Tours of that type also leave from Navy Pier. Just make sure you're taking a guided tour and not a Water Taxi.
                      We'll probably try to avoid Taste as much as possible, although I thought it would be nice to just roam around Grant/Millennium Park that most likely won't happen now. As far as going to the lakefront, the girl said she wanted to go to the beach, and trust me, I will have no problem going to the beach with her. Any suggestions there Stein? You seem to know your way around town pretty well. If we're staying in the River North area, any restaurants we should seek out? I know Uno and Due are there and noticed there is a Giordano's in the area as well.
                      Originally posted by rockybison
                      You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post
                        We'll probably try to avoid Taste as much as possible, although I thought it would be nice to just roam around Grant/Millennium Park that most likely won't happen now. As far as going to the lakefront, the girl said she wanted to go to the beach, and trust me, I will have no problem going to the beach with her. Any suggestions there Stein? You seem to know your way around town pretty well. If we're staying in the River North area, any restaurants we should seek out? I know Uno and Due are there and noticed there is a Giordano's in the area as well.
                        All good if you're looking for pizza. My favorite is Lou Malnati's, but that's just me. You could also check out Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder in Lincoln Park. Very good stuff, and located next to a historical site - the scene of the St. Valentines Day Massacre. That's just pizza, there are lots more gourmet and up scale restaurants in/near River North. There are probably 6 or 7 - 4 and 5 star steakhouses as an example, but that's bigger bucks.

Again, I'd highly recommend the architectural river cruise.

Comment

not many ppl know this...kinda neat...
                          www.familyfarmedexpo.com/biojohnhall.html
                          "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

All good if you're looking for pizza. My favorite is Lou Malnati's, but that's just me. You could also check out Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder in Lincoln Park. Very good stuff, and located next to a historical site - the scene of the St. Valentines Day Massacre. That's just pizza, there are lots more gourmet and up scale restaurants in/near River North. There are probably 6 or 7 - 4 and 5 star steakhouses as an example, but that's bigger bucks.

Again, I'd highly recommend the architectural river cruise.
                            Save $40 on the archetectural river cruise, go to the Sears Tower, pay $8 a person and take the water taxi to Navy Pier. Same cruise, (actually a little longer) and it is $8 a person rather than $26. It is called "shoreline taxi." They also have a nice trip from the Pier to the Museum campus thats cool too for only $6.

Another place to find nice dining is Texas de Brazil. Its a brazillian steakhouse that is worth every penny of the $50 per person price tag. However, Sunday through Thursday you can sign up on their website and get a 20% off your total bill coupon. Eat at a really nice restaurant in the River North area for $80. I know it sounds like a lot but when you look back you will be happy.

Stein, that Lou's is unbelievable. He started it all almost a century ago. Its too bad that he doesn't get the national name recognition for the "Chicago Style Pizza.
                            Last edited by jegbomb52; 05-22-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Go to the Hancock Tower instead of the Sears, there is the 96 or 98th floor rest/bar. Elevator ride is free. You also don't have to leave the magnificent mile.

If you are going to a brazilian steak....go for fogo de chao. But if you are going to spend steak house money, hit up one of the a REAL steak house.

Have fun!!
                              "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Tomato - toemaatoe. Just my opinion, but take the architectural cruise. All the Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) offers you is a view. The architectural cruise is guided and offers historical info on the buildings and areas you're seeing. My friends and I boat on Lake Michigan all the time - the view from the river NEVER gets old. You'll learn a lot about the city that way. There's a ton of history in Chicago that is fascinating, if you're into that kind of thing. Hell, you could go boating with us, but I'd only be able to explain 20% of what you'd see/hear on the architectural cruise. However, the upside is you'd enjoy all the adult beverages you care to consume.

Jeg, if you like true crime/mafia related stories, Google the Chicago Water Taxi service and the words murder or killed. In the late 90s, a guy tried to start his own water taxi to compete with the official city sanctioned service. He was warned by some people to quit. He refused, and was gunned down awhile later in front of his office. While the word "mafia" was never officially used, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who had a vested interest in the official city service. To my knowledge, his murder was never solved, and there's still only one water taxi service operating here.

Comment

Working...
                                X