WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI at DMACC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI at DMACC

DES MOINES, Iowa — A new program from DMACC and the University of Northern Iowa means metro students can earn a Bachelor’s degree without leaving Des Moines.

The two colleges are teaming up to create the UNI at DMACC program.

It allows students to complete their first two years at DMACC and then complete their final two years through UNI at the DMACC Urban Campus.

Students can graduate with a Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree. The program is designed to make getting a degree more accessible to DMACC students.

“There’s a group of students here who are placebound. That have no way to get to UNI to get a degree or even get up the road to Iowa State. If we don’t do this there really isn’t a great option for them to go ahead and get these degrees,” said UNI President Mark Nook.

The program is still awaiting approval from the Iowa Board of Regents. If approved students can begin the program next fall.

https://whotv.com/2019/11/06/uni-and...in-des-moines/

I can't imagine attending UNI without experiencing the campus, but this sort of stuff is the way of the future and I think the relationship makes good sense. Kirkwood or Hawkeye would be too close, cannibalizing potential on-campus transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
      I can't imagine attending UNI without experiencing the campus, but this sort of stuff is the way of the future and I think the relationship makes good sense. Kirkwood or Hawkeye would be too close, cannibalizing potential on-campus transfers.
      So often these programs aren't aimed at college aged students. It's a way for adults to get a BA/BS while working full time. These people aren't looking for the "college experience". They want/need the degree for job advancement, pay increases, etc.

This is the way things are going and a great chance to get tuition dollars from a large metro - and still build at least a partial UNI relationship with people that can no be "alumni".

I have a MSL from a local college and I never stepped foot on their actual campus. Everything was done at their graduate/adult learning center.
      GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

It is a 2+2 program, with four pathways (BLS, a BAS in Managing Businesses/Organizations, a BAS in Criminal Justice and a BA in elementary education). DMACC is a big campus, with 5k students, average age is 28. It is ideal for older students already in jobs, with families:

https://insideuni.uni.edu/uni-and-dm...ram-des-moines

Fun Fact (ok ... you decide if that is fun): According to the UNI Fact Book for 2018-19, University Advancement reports more UNI alum in Polk County than in Black Hawk County,12,969 to 12,387 (https://scholarworks.uni.edu/cgi/vie...t=ire_factbook).
        Last edited by ronfitch; 11-06-2019, 05:10 PM.
        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

So often these programs aren't aimed at college aged students. It's a way for adults to get a BA/BS while working full time. These people aren't looking for the "college experience". They want/need the degree for job advancement, pay increases, etc.

This is the way things are going and a great chance to get tuition dollars from a large metro - and still build at least a partial UNI relationship with people that can no be "alumni".

I have a MSL from a local college and I never stepped foot on their actual campus. Everything was done at their graduate/adult learning center.

Indeed. We tend to think of college as its "campus experience," but it has always been much more than that. My father slugged it out during The Depression with correspondence courses from Iowa City and summer school in Cedar Falls. Graduated "from UNI" in 1940 without ever having the "college experience."

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Indeed. We tend to think of college as its "campus experience," but it has always been much more than that. My father slugged it out during The Depression with correspondence courses from Iowa City and summer school in Cedar Falls. Graduated "from UNI" in 1940 without ever having the "college experience."
            Correspondence courses have been part of higher ed distance ed for decades, along with radio, ITV, the Iowa Fiberoptics Network that was rolled out in the '90s and now online.

At an event up here (Minneapolis), a friend from Iowa State gave me one of their marketing swag for their online programs - a conductor's whistle - because at one time, Iowa State had train cars equipped as classrooms which traveled around Iowa. I don't recall if that was for extension or in-service. That would be so much better than packing up a passenger van and criss-crossing the state, IMO.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
              I crap all over Liberty and Grand Caynon for being diploma mills preying on the overly religious and "abusing" the GI bill (go look at their online enrollments, and number of grads in each program and GI bill enrollees) but that is absolutely the market UNI needs to attack more. I see adds for Arizona State's online MBA almost every day. I get linkedin messages weekly about getting my MBA at Iowa online, being able to skip the GRE, etc. to get in. One of my best friends is getting his Masters of Cyber Security, having his employer pay for it (Msft). This is something UNI absolutely should be pushing the MBA/business programs online and getting as many students as possible with it.

Mount Mercy in Cedar Rapids has plans to nearly triple their enrollment almost exclusively through adult/accelerated formats aimed at MBA, MSL, nursing, criminology and counseling programs. All the classes are at night in block formats. They have/are partnering with every business they can for tuition reimbursement and certification programs to get companies to buy in to edcuate/train their work force. It is where I went and every single class was loaded with Rockwell, UFG, TransAmerica/Aegon, etc. type employees

Maybe UNI is already doing so, but partnering with places in the Cedar Valley for the same thing, using this DMACC connection to start to partner with the firms in Des Moines, etc. would be an area of potentially significant growth.

For a "more peer" example than Mount Mercy or Arizona State (and then Liberty and GCU): North Dakota has like 1/3rd of their enrollment through online courses. IIRC it's like over 4k of their 14k enrollment. I'd like to see this program succeed and grow
              GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X