WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staff - What a joke!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staff - What a joke!

So I just realized that Farley hired his daughter to be Director of Football Ops...seriously WTF! I knew DJ Hord left for a better opportunity but was she honestly the best option?!?!?! Very little experience yet somehow lands the job...hmmmmm. I mean nothing like handing your kids jobs on a silver platter. What a joke. Our staff this year is the worst it has been in years even with all of the new coaches...we continue to spin our wheels in some areas which is predictable and even getting worse in others...hence why we get out coached all the time. They all need to go and bring in a new HC to get us back to being a football dynasty. Enough of all this crap and enough with the UNI administration, David Harris, being spineless and letting Farley make all the calls....that's why we are where we are in the first place!

There's enough to be mad at with Farley that we don't need to include this.

The Director of Ops schedules travel (flights, busses, hotels, meals, etc). I don't think you need to be a great football mind to do that. This has literally zero impact on what happens on the field. It's not like she's making decisions on play calls and what not...
    #MACtion

Comment

Um...There are hundreds of things to complain about with this program right now. This is, far and away, the last thing. As BC said, the DoPs does nothing related to the team other than make arrangments for them. Calling it a glorified Admin Assistant isn't doing it justice, but that's the basics of what they do. Not only that, everything she needs to know/do has been done for decades already. She basically just does exactly what DJ did. That's it. DoPs aren't allowed to coach. They aren't allowed practice contact with players. Nothing. The handle travel and food arrangements.

I can assume you also hate having Derrek Nettin as the men's basketball team DoPs. He graduated from UNI in 2006 with an elementary education degree. He didn't play college basketball. He wasn't even a GA or manager. Right out of college he spent one season as a recruiting coordinator at a D3 in Wisconsin, then came back in 07 to be the programs Admin Assistant. That role turned into the DoPs roll.

I was as harsh as anyone on the assistants we brought in during the off season, I'm actually real impressed with what Bond is doing with Eli. I'm very impressed with what McCann is getting from our WRs. Vokolek? Our LBs are good. Simmonds and Braun? Yeah, not impressed so far.

I'm all for chicken little for the sake of chicken little, but even I think this is silly.
      "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
      -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

I won't judge if this is good decision or not, but I think it's fair to say that a D1 DoPs position in both football and basketball is highly sought after job that almost everyone who takes it intends to use as a stepping stone into coaching (of course, most hoping to coach at a D1 level).

Comment

Does she report directly to Harris or another administrator? If so, I don't have a problem with that.

Comment

Is there a special teams coach yet?
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
              Is there a special teams coach yet?
              This is the much bigger crime on our staff worth wasting bandwidth on.
              "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

This is the much bigger crime on our staff worth wasting bandwidth on.
                Was she considered for coaching special teams? No stone unturned!
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

This is fairly low on my complaint list with UNI football right now. Was she the best candidate available? Was the job openly advertised and were multiple people interviewed?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIPanther007 View Post
                    So I just realized that Farley hired his daughter to be Director of Football Ops...seriously WTF! I knew DJ Hord left for a better opportunity but was she honestly the best option?!?!?! Very little experience yet somehow lands the job...hmmmmm. I mean nothing like handing your kids jobs on a silver platter. What a joke. Our staff this year is the worst it has been in years even with all of the new coaches...we continue to spin our wheels in some areas which is predictable and even getting worse in others...hence why we get out coached all the time. They all need to go and bring in a new HC to get us back to being a football dynasty. Enough of all this crap and enough with the UNI administration, David Harris, being spineless and letting Farley make all the calls....that's why we are where we are in the first place!
                    Yikes. Okay first of all - I agree with everyone else that this is the least of the worries right now. Second of all, David Harris is far from spineless and has already made several positive changes across the athletic department in only a year and a half on the job. Third, I won't be shy about the fact that I know Farley's daughter - I have known her since she was born - she's more than capable of handling that job. (I also previously worked in the football office - for Farley - so I know a lot of what she's dealing with). - and the fact that she has grown up around the program and knows exactly what needs to happen day in and day out adds to her qualifications. I think you are someone - based on previous posts as well - that definitely has a personal ax to grind and though the state of our program is not where any of us want it to be - this complaint is over the top. In my respectful opinion.
                    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

DJ Hord was hired away from UNI by the Seattle Seahawks two weeks before the season began. UNI needed someone in a hurry and as others have pointed out, this is not a coaching position or job where you are making game-type decisions. We have much bigger issues to be concerned about.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                        DJ Hord was hired away from UNI by the Seattle Seahawks two weeks before the season began. UNI needed someone in a hurry and as others have pointed out, this is not a coaching position or job where you are making game-type decisions. We have much bigger issues to be concerned about.
                        I had wondered where he went. Sure enough, he's now part of their scouting and player personnel team.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                          Thank you for adding this. I meant to mention this in my post above, as well. This is a huge part of it.
                          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I'd also bet she knows more about football than the majority of people that attend UNI games as fan. It's not like her entire life hasn't been nothing but football around her from day 1.

Comment

Wow...DJ Hord gets hired by the Seahwaks from UNI. That's pretty impressive.

I'm sure someone will try to frame that as a negative. But it's a nice complement to UNI football.

Given the timing...I've got no problem with how they filled that role.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                              X