WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
    On a positive note, we should be pretty good next year and literally every tough game is in the Dome sans Iowa.
    Tbf we often find ourselves saying "should be good next year."

Comment

Dang, I’ve been looking at a bicycle race that starts/finishes in Boise on 9/9. I would really have to push, but might be able to finish in time to make Pocatello on the way back!

Of course that means driving rather than flying....

Comment

Is it crazy to say we can't beat Iowa to start the season? We'll return 18/22 starters, get Briley back, have our most important position (QB) back after a complete year under his belt. We'll match up well with the Hawks as our Dline is capable of stopping the run and UI will be breaking in a new QB and will lose 3-4 impact players to the draft and graduation. Just saying...we have a chance especially if we can drastically improve our run game and create a much better run/pass option. I think the toughest game next year will obviously be NDSU but atleast its at home. Ill St and SDSU at home too... We need to go 3-1 in our first 4 next year to get some breathing room the rest of the season. Do I think it'll happen? probably not but to say we don't have a chance is wrong in my opinion.
        "Give a cheer Ho, the purple and the gold!!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post
          Is it crazy to say we can't beat Iowa to start the season? We'll return 18/22 starters, get Briley back, have our most important position (QB) back after a complete year under his belt. We'll match up well with the Hawks as our Dline is capable of stopping the run and UI will be breaking in a new QB and will lose 3-4 impact players to the draft and graduation. Just saying...we have a chance especially if we can drastically improve our run game and create a much better run/pass option. I think the toughest game next year will obviously be NDSU but atleast its at home. Ill St and SDSU at home too... We need to go 3-1 in our first 4 next year to get some breathing room the rest of the season. Do I think it'll happen? probably not but to say we don't have a chance is wrong in my opinion.
          I agree with you. On paper, its our best roster coming in to a season in quite a while. Need to improve the OL and land an impact RB.
          UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
          iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Depends on what Iowa loses to the Draft, IMO.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNI92 View Post
              I've been saying that to some people for a little while now....

Iowa's gonna lose some peeps, UNI brings a lot back. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself because we still have actual football going on but....

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

I agree with you. On paper, its our best roster coming in to a season in quite a while. Need to improve the OL and land an impact RB.
                I don't exactly understand all of the hate on our O-line. I think it's too easy to decide that the running game is lacking because the O-line doesn't block. How often are LBs not getting picked up? Are our RBs hitting the whole? Aren't defenses keying on the run? I'm not saying they're extraordinary, but I don't think they've earned the criticism. BTW, we ran for more yds than SDSU in that loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Yupster View Post
                  I don't exactly understand all of the hate on our O-line. I think it's too easy to decide that the running game is lacking because the O-line doesn't block. How often are LBs not getting picked up? Are our RBs hitting the whole? Aren't defenses keying on the run? I'm not saying they're extraordinary, but I don't think they've earned the criticism..
                  probably because of how often the defenders are in our backfield a split second after the snap

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                    probably because of how often the defenders are in our backfield a split second after the snap
                    Lineman? I don't know. I think being down Briley has likely been a hit to our run blocking, but I disagree that the line is in our backfield a split second after the snap.

Comment

I don't exactly understand all of the hate on our O-line. I think it's too easy to decide that the running game is lacking because the O-line doesn't block. How often are LBs not getting picked up? Are our RBs hitting the whole? Aren't defenses keying on the run? I'm not saying they're extraordinary, but I don't think they've earned the criticism. BTW, we ran for more yds than SDSU in that loss.
                      It's pretty clearly on the OL.

Who is supposed to pick up the backers? The OL.
                      Defenses aren't keying the run. Farley has said in pressers all year that defenses are dropping 7 to 8, which is making Will's reads harder and take longer.

Us running for more yards than SDSU is more a product of our defense than our offense.

Part of it is scheme. I don't think we have a great scheme in place
                      Part of it is aggression - which could be scheme? We have a massive OL, but they play smaller than they are. There isn't an "edge" to them other than JSB talking and gesturing after plays.

Some of it is on the backs. They don't hit the hole hard. They look for a reason to go down at the OL. Legs stop moving. Leverage is lost. Hoosman hits the hole hard occasionally (more than the others) but seems to quickly abandon where he was going. Allen just dances side to side waiting for something - and with how little space is created from the start that's just a losing battle.

Schnee was the first RB I've seen on the field this year to not give a damn and just sprint forward. Watch the teams that run well - SDSU, NDSU, JMU, Weber, etc. their backs don't dick around getting to the OL. They hit the line and then go harder when they get to it.

I am on record not being a massive fan of Weymiller being the go to back, but he had something we don't have right now. He worked his ass off and drove his legs every single carry. He knew what he needed to do to get yards was just go. We don't have that on the team right now it appears.

Comment

Lineman? I don't know. I think being down Briley has likely been a hit to our run blocking, but I disagree that the line is in our backfield a split second after the snap.
                        Watch games, they absolutely are.

As for Briley being out hurting, I agree

then you have to remember his primary replacement all season has bee Matt Vanderslice - WHO STARTED AT LEFT TACKLE AT IOWA STATE

The main TE replacement has been a OL. To say we suffer in run blocking because we replaced a pass catching TE with a 290lb left tackle is....well...silly sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

It's pretty clearly on the OL.

Who is supposed to pick up the backers? The OL.
                          Defenses aren't keying the run. Farley has said in pressers all year that defenses are dropping 7 to 8, which is making Will's reads harder and take longer.

Us running for more yards than SDSU is more a product of our defense than our offense.

Part of it is scheme. I don't think we have a great scheme in place
                          Part of it is aggression - which could be scheme? We have a massive OL, but they play smaller than they are. There isn't an "edge" to them other than JSB talking and gesturing after plays.

Some of it is on the backs. They don't hit the hole hard. They look for a reason to go down at the OL. Legs stop moving. Leverage is lost. Hoosman hits the hole hard occasionally (more than the others) but seems to quickly abandon where he was going. Allen just dances side to side waiting for something - and with how little space is created from the start that's just a losing battle.

Schnee was the first RB I've seen on the field this year to not give a damn and just sprint forward. Watch the teams that run well - SDSU, NDSU, JMU, Weber, etc. their backs don't dick around getting to the OL. They hit the line and then go harder when they get to it.

I am on record not being a massive fan of Weymiller being the go to back, but he had something we don't have right now. He worked his ass off and drove his legs every single carry. He knew what he needed to do to get yards was just go. We don't have that on the team right now it appears.
                          Since you said it's clearly on the O-line and then explained other factors, I'll go ahead and agree with you partially

​​​​​ You're right, the O-line picks up LBs in run block, I just wasn't thinking that's been the problem. I don't know enough about O-line schemes, when were pulling, etc, to really speak to it. I just think the O-line is an easy target, and, as you pointed out, there are other factors.

I disagree that teams are mostly dropping 7 and 8. I have never sat and counted, and certainly I've seen it, but I'd say they do it on 3rd down.

Comment

Since you said it's clearly on the O-line and then explained other factors, I'll go ahead and agree with you partially

​​​​​ You're right, the O-line picks up LBs in run block, I just wasn't thinking that's been the problem. I don't know enough about O-line schemes, when were pulling, etc, to really speak to it. I just think the O-line is an easy target, and, as you pointed out, there are other factors.

I disagree that teams are mostly dropping 7 and 8. I have never sat and counted, and certainly I've seen it, but I'd say they do it on 3rd down.
                            It's easy. Watch the oline during a game. They miss a lot of block. Even when only 3-4 guys come.
                            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Depends on what Iowa loses to the Draft, IMO.
                              Agreed. Right now, Epenesa and Wirfs might be the only guys who leave early for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post

It's easy. Watch the oline during a game. They miss a lot of block. Even when only 3-4 guys come.
                                Between that and the fact that Farley has said all season they are dropping 7 or 8 into coverage it's pretty clear we aren't facing a ton of 6 or 7 man run fronts - or even 5 man.

Every game is available for replay on ESPN+. Feel free to watch. Teams don't respect our run and know that 4 is all that's needed to stop the run.

It's a mix of things, but run blocking has been a significant issue for years at this point. DJ was so good that he covered a hell of a lot of holes, but it's been a long standing issue.

I've mentioned it here before but it even starts with our snaps. This year they are at least the right height, which is a big step forward from previous years. The issue now is they are extremely slow. They take almost twice as long as any other team that is in the gun that much. Watch SIU, SDSU, NDSU, ISUr, even ISUb with their snaps. They "snap" them back to the QB. There is zip on it. The snaps will is getting have a loop getting to him. That adds time for Will getting the ball to any back, which isn't helping the OL either.
                                Last edited by clenz; 11-20-2019, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X