WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** Game 15 (Playoff Edition): @ James Madison ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw the line for the game is +12.5, seems about right. ISU is almost a 3 touchdown dog to NDSU, ouch!

Comment

We've been down in the 20s twice already here in central Texas. Went from 79 to 41 yesterday. High of 44 today! Makes me miss the midwest! Hate the heat!

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
        Just saw the line for the game is +12.5, seems about right. ISU is almost a 3 touchdown dog to NDSU, ouch!
        Yikes. 3 touchdowns is pretty steep. Says much about what everyone thinks about ISU's chances this weekend. Fargo is a tough place to play too.

Comment

JMU played a weak schedule in a down CAA. They played one team that made the playoffs, and even in that game were down 24-17 entering the 4th.

This is not the same JMU of 2016 & 2017 where they were running over teams. I think in alow-scoring game UNI can sneak one out if they get a few breaks.

Comment

What's interesting is everyone (their site, AGS, SDSU's forum, etc.) keeps talking about how UNI was lucky and only beat SDSU because of their offensive injuries....when they had the same situations a couple weeks ago

Then they completely dismiss everything UNI related as just being bad, ignoring everything this team has fought through

Maybe...just maybe...that first SDSU game was a complete outlier for the season and the only game UNI really struggled to not turn the ball over. But whatever.

We shouldn't win. JMU should beat this UNI team by 40

If they don't it's a condemnation on them.
            If somehow UNI manages to win? Holy ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Logicfan View Post
              JMU played a weak schedule in a down CAA. They played one team that made the playoffs, and even in that game were down 24-17 entering the 4th.

This is not the same JMU of 2016 & 2017 where they were running over teams. I think in alow-scoring game UNI can sneak one out if they get a few breaks.
              The CAA was down in 2016 & 2017 as well.

We had one game in the FCS this year closer than 13 points.

We went toe to toe with WVU in a game we should of won.

Sagarin #s for JMU

2016 - #33
              2017 - #44
              2018 - #78
              2019 - #53

If we win out our ranking would be in the 2016 range.

As my fellow fans would say, I'm the most unbiased JMU supporter to a fault. But this team is right there with 2016 & 2017. Depending on how the next 3 games pan out this could be the best team we've ever had. It certainly is the most talented and experienced in JMU history.

If you win this one, you did so beating one of JMU's best teams in history.

Comment

I don't think anyone on here is doubting that James Madison is a really good team because they are. But, I think most of us think that you guys will be the 3rd best team that we have played this year. We lost to Iowa State in overtime, we lost @Weber St, @NDSU, and @ SDSU, which we of course won at this past weekend. We also played @Illinois State and won. Literally every difficult game that we have had has been on the road. On the other hand you guys have many impressive wins score wise but the CAA isn't what it has been, and no one here respects Monmouth. Just like last week I think we have to win the turnover battle and maybe even score a defensive touchdown to win, but I think we will give you guys a good game.

Comment

i think JMU is a very good to great football team but to continue to hang your hat on we played close with WVU seems crazy. Does that make us the favorite because we went to triple OT and lost to a team that beat WVU? We really should have won that game...we just didn't get possession of the fumble in OT that was up for grabs...

I also totally agree...you dominated the schedule put in front of you other than going to OT with 5-7 Stony Brook. But games like that happen...it's football and they are 18-22 year old kids. You did everything you could and beat every FCS team put in front of you so you deserve the ranking and the accolades. So far you're 1-0 against FCS Teams ranked in the top 10.

That being said...i think UNI will be competitive if we don't turn the ball over. I say that based on our body of work which shows that if we don't turn it over we can play with anyone...and then late that gives us a chance. Like everyone else still playing...we're in the last 8 teams cause we're pretty damn good. There's been several weeks this year where we won games that in the past i feel like we would have found a way to lose.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we measure up with another one of the best teams in the country. So far we're 2-3 against Top 10 FCS teams...all of those on the road. I hope we can even the ledger at 3-3. All i know is it should be a fun physical game to watch on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
                    i think JMU is a very good to great football team but to continue to hang your hat on we played close with WVU seems crazy. Does that make us the favorite because we went to triple OT and lost to a team that beat WVU? We really should have won that game...we just didn't get possession of the fumble in OT that was up for grabs...

I also totally agree...you dominated the schedule put in front of you other than going to OT with 5-7 Stony Brook. But games like that happen...it's football and they are 18-22 year old kids. You did everything you could and beat every FCS team put in front of you so you deserve the ranking and the accolades. So far you're 1-0 against FCS Teams ranked in the top 10.

That being said...i think UNI will be competitive if we don't turn the ball over. I say that based on our body of work which shows that if we don't turn it over we can play with anyone...and then late that gives us a chance. Like everyone else still playing...we're in the last 8 teams cause we're pretty damn good. There's been several weeks this year where we won games that in the past i feel like we would have found a way to lose.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we measure up with another one of the best teams in the country. So far we're 2-3 against Top 10 FCS teams...all of those on the road. I hope we can even the ledger at 3-3. All i know is it should be a fun physical game to watch on Friday.
                    How do you discuss your season and not mention your only loss and toughest opponent? WVU was not that great when we played them. During my time following JMU we have beaten Navy (a couple times), SMU, ECU, Va Tech the year they won the ACC. I was saying we should of beaten perhaps the worst WVU team in 20 years. not exactly hanging my hat.....

I complimented UNI earlier in this thread about how well you played against Iowa State to start the season and how I rooted for you to win the game. But I guess I should not mention losing to WVU?

You are likely the second best team we've played this year, and you are correct we are 1-0 against FCS Teams ranked in the top 10. I guess we appear to potentially be a paper tiger..... Roar!!! LOL

In the last three years we beat NDSU on the road, and we lost by a dropped catch in our other game with them. The paper tiger has been ok at times. But that was 2016 & 2017. Hopefully we get lucky and be competitive against top 10 football teams the next 3 games.

For the record before the bracket was announced the three teams I hoped would be on the NDSU side of the bracket were Montana, Weber, and UNI. Shocker - the three teams we need to get through to go to Frisco.

Comment

You guys keep talking about the games against top 10 teams.
                      As you said, 2-3 record against.

so what happened against Idaho state where you trailed into the 4th quarter? They finished 3-9.
                      what about San Diego, a non schollie team you couldn’t shake until halfway through the fourth quarter.

these are not what the fcs universe would call tough games. What happened in those?

i won’t bring up the struggles against Indiana state or Youngstown, who both finished at or below .500, because you guys will just claim they are mvc schools and therefore great.

thats a lot of struggle against not so great teams.

we had one tight game all year against stony brook who gave us quite a game and earned it because their qb played lights out that day. Kudos to him. He played well.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Dawg View Post

so what happened against Idaho state where you trailed into the 4th quarter? They finished 3-9.
                        what about San Diego, a non schollie team you couldn’t shake until halfway through the fourth quarter.

these are not what the fcs universe would call tough games. What happened in those?

i won’t bring up the struggles against Indiana state or Youngstown, who both finished at or below .500, because you guys will just claim they are mvc schools and therefore great.

we had one tight game all year against stony brook who gave us quite a game and earned it because their qb played lights out that day. Kudos to him. He played well.
                        Those weren't exactly struggles. We controlled those games, we just don't have the offense to run away from people. We have a head coach that would love to win every game 6-3 if he could.
                        #MACtion

Comment

For the record, Duke Dawg and I got chastised on our boards for questioning how good we were mid season, so we do take a step back when analyzing our team. Since that time (around the Stony Brook game) the team really has come together.

Obviously you guys have turned things around the last couple weeks in your play against SDSU.

Comment

Weber State had negative 7 yards in the second half of that game and 78 yards total after the first 10 minutes of the game.

UNI gifted that game to them. Fumbled the opening kick and put the team behind the 8 ball. Punted and Weber came out with a play they hadn't run all season and went 70 yards on the first play of the game for a score.
                            UNI fumbled the next kick off and Weber recovered and scored
                            That game was lost 4 minutes in.

Shocking, UNI isn't going to win this game scoring 30+.

Let's not pretend like UNI doesn't have a defense that could give JMU issues you haven't seen this year

The NDSU game was a 4 point game at half, and well within reach even into the fourth. **** snowballed and NDSU loves nothing more than putting 14+ points up in the final 6 minutes of games to make it look real bad.

The SDSU game was half of our seasons worth of turnovers and looked real bad.

In regulation other than those games this year UNI has given up

13 to Iowa State
                            14 garbage time points to SUU after being up 34-0
                            6 to Idaho State
                            29 to Weber - 17 in the first 8 minutes
                            14 to Youngstown
                            27 to South Dakota (21 on their first three possessions)
                            6 to Missouri State
                            10 to Illinois State - IIRC they had <10 yards of offense in the second half
                            9 to Indiana State
                            7 to Western Illinois
                            3 to San Diego
                            10 to South Dakota

If JMU doesn't jump out to a decent (17+ point lead) in the first quarter I think you'll be pretty tight butthole the rest of the game.
                            Last edited by clenz; 12-10-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

In regulation other than those games this year UNI has given up

13 to Iowa State
                              14 garbage time points to SUU after being up 34-0
                              6 to Idaho State
                              29 to Weber - 17 in the first 8 minutes
                              14 to Youngstown
                              27 to South Dakota (21 on their first three possessions)
                              6 to Missouri State
                              10 to Illinois State - IIRC they had <10 yards of offense in the second half
                              9 to Indiana State
                              7 to Western Illinois
                              3 to San Diego
                              10 to South Dakota

If JMU doesn't jump out to a decent (17+ point lead) in the first quarter I think you'll be pretty tight butthole the rest of the game.
                              Here’s where those offenses ranked nationally:

southern utah- 88
                              idaho state - 91
                              weber state - 44
                              youngstown - 37
                              South Dakota - 38
                              missouri state - 120
                              illinois state - 99
                              indiana state - 105
                              western illinois - 109
                              san Diego - 7

not exactly a bunch of Clemson or Oklahoma offenses in those wins there

Comment

Here’s where those offenses ranked nationally:

southern utah- 88
                                idaho state - 91
                                weber state - 44
                                youngstown - 37
                                South Dakota - 38
                                missouri state - 120
                                illinois state - 99
                                indiana state - 105
                                western illinois - 109
                                san Diego - 7

not exactly a bunch of Clemson or Oklahoma offenses in those wins there
                                You think there might be a chance that MVFC offenses are ranked so poorly because they have to play us, NDSU, SDSU and Illinois State? Just a theory.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X