WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDB View Post
    I think you guys are not giving GCU enough credit. That is going to be a tough game. They have a legit coach, legit players, big time recruits coming in and A TON of money. That is a legit tournament contender. A win over GCU would be a feather in this young teams hat. UNI should be the favorite. But it's gonna be a battle.
    No. It wouldn't. It's GCU, not Xavier or UNC.

Comment

GCU is a good institution. And they will get the respect they deserve once they go back to non-profit status. My wife worked there for a while while we were in Phoenix. The only thing I would question is the rigor of their online classes. But that is true for major universities too. I had to take two online Masters courses through an AACSB university to complete my MBA with Iowa. Those two classes were a joke. The on-site campus is fantastic. They've been smeared in the press and undeservedly so. It kills academics to think that a for profit institution can rival their offering. It challenges a whole sector and that's why it's controversial.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_beeding View Post

No. It wouldn't. It's GCU, not Xavier or UNC.

Believe it or not.... There are other good teams out there other than the blue bloods. GCU is legit. They spend as much or more money on athletics than anyone in the Valley and have unbelievable support from literally across the country. They have a home court advantage as good as any in the nation. Like I said... UNI should be favored. But this is a LONG way from the cakewalk you are expecting it to be. A win over GCU helps this team establish itself.

Comment

It’s a diploma mill and much like Liberty is borderline cult like in their religiosity

On the basketball side they played a SoS of 273 last year. 9 of their OOC games were 250 plus with 6 over 300. Yeah before was 259 with OOC almost exclusively SWAC MEAC and Big South West games. GCUs education isn’t highly regarded nationally. Any google search will prove that.

People are get caught up in the fact they played Duke once - got blasted by almost 40. They played Louisville and got blasted twice. They are essentially evansville when it comes to scheduling. Take a look at it historically. They are similar. Evansville is widely blasted but MVC fans for loading up on a piss poor OOC to rack up wins. That’s exactly what GCU does but they also play in a much worse conference to pick up extra wins Evansville can’t in the MVC.

Comment

Why are we arguing about GCU?

Its a home game.
            There RPI will be around 150.

We take those two things anytime we can.

Comment

We came in 8th in the MVC. Hopefully GCU will be taking UNI lightly. We have not resembled a team that should be overconfident against anybody for two years.
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                We came in 8th in the MVC. Hopefully GCU will be taking UNI lightly. We have not resembled a team that should be overconfident against anybody for two years.
                We've been damn good in the non-conference slate over that time though! I'm expecting that to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                  Agreed.

Im pretty jaded on them so I’ll save my comments. To me they are equal to Liberty and UoP in terms of diploma mill and religious nut conventions.

I don't think anyone who actually knows anything about the Liberty on-campus program in recent years would consider it a diploma mill and a religious nut convention. It has come a long way, both in academics and athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

I don't think anyone who actually knows anything about the Liberty on-campus program in recent years would consider it a diploma mill and a religious nut convention. It has come a long way, both in academics and athletics.
                    They have over 80k online students with tens of thousands of divinity majors almost all of whom are getting very poor class quality. It’s 100% taking advantage of a diploma mill set up.

Comment

They have over 80k online students with tens of thousands of divinity majors almost all of whom are getting very poor class quality. It’s 100% taking advantage of a diploma mill set up.

Your bias against both divinity majors and online education is showing. Regardless, they have put together a fine athletic program. And they are expanding their football stadium to make it the fourth largest college stadium in the state.

Comment

What I now imagine a GCU classroom is like:

Comment

It’s a diploma mill and much like Liberty is borderline cult like in their religiosity

On the basketball side they played a SoS of 273 last year. 9 of their OOC games were 250 plus with 6 over 300. Yeah before was 259 with OOC almost exclusively SWAC MEAC and Big South West games. GCUs education isn’t highly regarded nationally. Any google search will prove that.

People are get caught up in the fact they played Duke once - got blasted by almost 40. They played Louisville and got blasted twice. They are essentially evansville when it comes to scheduling. Take a look at it historically. They are similar. Evansville is widely blasted but MVC fans for loading up on a piss poor OOC to rack up wins. That’s exactly what GCU does but they also play in a much worse conference to pick up extra wins Evansville can’t in the MVC.
                          Have you ever actually been to GCU? Like on campus or at their facilities? I have, and they were extremely impressive. They have outstanding facilities and support, and they have a lot of resources. They have a great name brand coach and they get legit recruits. They also have a unique approach to game day management that most schools can't get away with.

I only had a passing awareness of their religious affiliation while I was there, and I am a little surprised they are being compared to places like Liberty. Although I don't really know why that matters. While it isn't for me, I don't have a problem with a private school having strong religious ties/values. If you don't like it......don't go there.

As for their schedule.....it did kind of suck this year. But that hasn't always been the case. They played Duke, Penn State, Albany, Louisville, San Diego State and Arizona the year before. They are a good get for a home game for us. They won't hurt the RPI. And they will provide a tough challenge, similar to one we might see from one of the better Valley teams.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

I only had a passing awareness of their religious affiliation while I was there, and I am a little surprised they are being compared to places like Liberty. Although I don't really know why that matters. While it isn't for me, I don't have a problem with a private school having strong religious ties/values. If you don't like it......don't go there.

As for their schedule.....it did kind of suck this year. But that hasn't always been the case. They played Duke, Penn State, Albany, Louisville, San Diego State and Arizona the year before. They are a good get for a home game for us. They won't hurt the RPI. And they will provide a tough challenge, similar to one we might see from one of the better Valley teams.
                            Well said. This is a nice get for us. Maybe some here want more games against U if Dubuque or Wartburg, a or a really bad D1 team like Chicago St???

As for the religious thing, well stated as well. Don’t like it, don’t go. I’m no fan of the whacko founders of some of these places. Jerry Falwell, Oral Roberts - he of “God just told me to raise $57,283.000 and 47 cents by next week or he’ll take me” fame. They fit the “nut” category, IMO. But, that doesn’t mean the schools don’t have some merit, do good work, etc.

Comment

Chicago State was a part of our MTE

D3 has zero impact on RPI

as for my thoughts on religious institutions - I started at Wartburg. I had classes with mwatje there. The ROI for tutuion costs wasn’t there so I transferred. I have my masters from Mount Mercy and my wife teaches in another MA program at MMU. I’m constantly hoping they add football so I can add that to my list of things I make a thing to do with my kids. I grew up going to church every Sunday and Wednesday night for the first 18.5 years of my life. Went on 6 mission trips with my church. There’s a significant different between private religious institutions such at MMU, Wartburg or even Notre Dame and to a large extent Zaytuna and BYU and what GCU, Liberty, ORU are. Pregame prayers over the PA system are not something that happens at these other places.

As i said, and it was apparently ignored because i saw exactly that repeated after my post. The get a ton of credit for playing these body bag games against UNC, Duke, Louisville and then filling out the rest of their schedule with 250-300+ games. It wasn’t just last year that way. 16/17 they played Duke, Arizona and Louisville. They still had an SOS of 259. 14 of the first 20 games of that season were 230 or worse RPI teams. In 15/16 they played OOC games of 280, 252, 330, 345, 305 , 335, 277.

Sure. There are certainly worse RPI teams to play. That’s 100% true
                              Last edited by clenz; 04-07-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

@ Utah St for the MWC/MVC Challenge confirmed for 11/28.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X