WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper Iowa Exhibition Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
    Without Pick and Phyffe I don’t think we are very good. If Jake doesn’t trust Dahl that leaves us with 7 scholarship players (and Wetstein). Biggie and Spencer aren’t getting big roles either, at least in the early going.

    AJ is a stud though, and Berhow is pretty good too. Throw in Wyatt’s experience and we could be pretty good if we can get Pick and Phyffe back on the floor. The other guys are a great supporting cast.

    Pick I am hopeful for. That stuff with Phyffe is scary though. He has more important priorities right now.
    Has Phyfe’s cause of not playing been stated anywhere? (Other than a “health issue?”)

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by unifan View Post

      Has Phyfe’s cause of not playing been stated anywhere? (Other than a “health issue?”)
      He faints at random. Not kidding, it's called Vasovagal syncope, and it's a heart issue. He apparently went to Mayo on Tuesday, but I don't think anything has been said since then. I have no idea what the recovery time, I've seen everything from "he'll never play again" to "couple weeks rest."

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
        Was Pickford suited up tonight?
        no I don't think so.
        Biggie loked good. He's going to be one of those "the stats don't tell the whole story"
        A.J. Reminds me of Fred Hoiburg.
        Things bog down with Dahl in there. He needs to get better foot work. He's a Junior there's still time.
        Tray will become very good.


        Comment


        • #34
          I really think AJ May go off for 50 sometime in his career.

          You have to wonder how good Wyatt could of been without the injuries, because he is really good right now.

          If Phyfe is out for a long time Dahl is going to have to give us a few minutes. I think he is better but I wish he would play with an attitude and not be afraid of messing up or picking up a foul just go play.

          Comment


          • #35
            I thought McDonnell took a step forward tonight. He was good Sunday but today just seemed way more active. Does a good job at finding himself in the soft spots on offense. Doesn't make many mistakes. Battles on defense and on the boards. He has a chance to give UNI good minutes this year! Enjoyed watching him tonight!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by MDB View Post
              I thought McDonnell took a step forward tonight. He was good Sunday but today just seemed way more active. Does a good job at finding himself in the soft spots on offense. Doesn't make many mistakes. Battles on defense and on the boards. He has a chance to give UNI good minutes this year! Enjoyed watching him tonight!
              He had the quiest "almost double-double" I've seen at this school. It's good that he's looking good, because he's going to be getting a good chunk of minutes with Phyfe out.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

                He faints at random. Not kidding, it's called Vasovagal syncope, and it's a heart issue. He apparently went to Mayo on Tuesday, but I don't think anything has been said since then. I have no idea what the recovery time, I've seen everything from "he'll never play again" to "couple weeks rest."
                I didn't know they had a name for it yet, that's good. Just googling it, it seems like it's a common short term illness. Some pretty good news from Jake after this game (below). Also, another reason to love Coach Jake. Looks like he went to Mayo with Austin and his dad.

                Austin Phyfe remains out indefinitely with symptoms similar to that of vasovagal syncope, but Jacobson said the sophomore now has “a better handle on what he’s dealing with and feels like he can get back to some activity now.”
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

                Comment


                • #38
                  IIRC Lohaus had some heart issues in high school, which are now under control.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    We need to get the Pickford and Phyfe back before we get into the heart of our non-conference schedule. (And yes obviously Phyfe's health is way more important but I am speaking as a fan).

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                      IIRC Lohaus had some heart issues in high school, which are now under control.
                      Yes. He had a condition that would cause his heart to beat too rapidly and he'd dunk his head in a bucket of ice water to get it back to normal. He had a procedure the summer between high school and college that corrected it.
                      #MACtion

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Don’t understand why UNI didn’t offer Smoldt a scholarship. He is a former Mr Basketball that has incredible range.

                        Uni has certainly signed plenty of guys that didn’t have near his pedigree.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          AJ will put butts in the seats with his Steph Curry show.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                            AJ will put butts in the seats with his Steph Curry show.
                            1 assist to 4 turnovers though....
                            Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                            Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                            UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                              Don’t understand why UNI didn’t offer Smoldt a scholarship. He is a former Mr Basketball that has incredible range.

                              Uni has certainly signed plenty of guys that didn’t have near his pedigree.
                              I totally agree with this. I think we got scared off by the fact he's probably not even 5-10. Saw him several times in high school and there's something to be said for a kid that's tough as nails and wins like crazy.
                              #MACtion

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by catsize View Post

                                1 assist to 4 turnovers though....
                                Honestly. I’m okay with that stat. Why? AJ should have the ball in his hands and should be shooting a lot each game. If he’s just distributing (there will be games that he will) and not shooting that probably will not be in our favor. With the amount of ball handling time he’ll have AND because he’s a freshman, it’s to be expected.
                                Last edited by kochrab; 11-02-2018, 07:20 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X