WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper Iowa Exhibition Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I totally agree with this. I think we got scared off by the fact he's probably not even 5-10. Saw him several times in high school and there's something to be said for a kid that's tough as nails and wins like crazy.
    I also saw him play several times in high school. He was a killer, not cocky at all, almost no emotion at all as he destroyed the other team.

I think he he would have been great at Iowa state also, let the athletes drive and kick out to him.

He is as good a jump soother from deep as anybody.

Comment

When is the last time we had a guard score 27 points? That was a really effortless 27 for AJ. Man, is this going to be fun the next 4 years.

I was really, really impressed with Berhow. He is going to be a really good player for us. Great size, great energy, rebounds, guards, and can shoot. Pairing him with Ty on the wing and AJ at the point. Wow...

The bigs need some work. Seemed like Biggie was thinking too much (which is to be expected), and he needs to bulk up a bit. Luke gives some good minutes, but he’s really more of a backup spot minute type player. We really need Phyfe back to round out our lineup, really hope he is ok.
      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I'm anxious to see the Panthers play and see the new guys and how the existing guys games can change to fit what is now a very different team.

Agree we need the bigs to step up to make this team really good.

Great opportunity for Cole Henry to come in next year and contribute early. Quick thletic post who can pass will be a nice add to this team.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

There's a short clip on the UNI MBB Twitter page showing Berhow high-hurdling one of the dance team while chasing a loose ball

Comment

The turnovers were odd. Like they were trying some things. At any rate, hopefully it was a wake-up call for him to be more careful. He is going to have to get used to faster defense on him and I think he'll do fine.
            We shot less 3s (also made way less), and there were more drives to the bucket.
            I did some video, but missed the drives in the second half (too busy eating ice cream).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nDDXWMfAC8

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post

Honestly. I’m okay with that stat. Why? AJ should have the ball in his hands and should be shooting a lot each game. If he’s just distributing (there will be games that he will) and not shooting that probably will not be in our favor. With the amount of ball handling time he’ll have AND because he’s a freshman, it’s to be expected.
              Most of his turnovers last night were really careless though. Upper Iowa may be scrappy, but he will be playing against more physical players going forward. He's going to have to take better care of the ball. He officially had 4 TO's but it felt like 8 with how sloppy they were. His ability to score the ball helped offset the TO's and that is something that previous guards in this program haven't been able to do.

At some point I would expect teams to start picking AJ up 90 feet from the basket and making him expend a little more energy bringing the ball up the court. Burn his legs out and hope it hurts his shot.

I'm curious to see how Biggie develops. I think 6'3" AJ has a higher release point on his shot than 6'10" Biggie and I'm wondering how that low release jumper is going to work when he starts playing bigger competition?

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                At some point I would expect teams to start picking AJ up 90 feet from the basket and making him expend a little more energy bringing the ball up the court. Burn his legs out and hope it hurts his shot.
                I think you will see what happened later in the game where Wyatt will take the ball up when they are both on the court to relieve some of that pressure.

The one assist was due to some poor shooting too. Was a much sloppier game though it did appear that as soon as we needed energy, we just turned it back on. Obviously that won't work against MVC competition but it will be a good learning game for the team. Hopefully we will see the intensity back up on Tuesday.

Phyfe's health is obviously priority one but the Panthers will turn into an outside shooting team without his inside presence. Biggie and Luke are not true centers and we won't get much respect inside without Austin in the lineup. It looks like we will see Dahl in the role of 2-3 minutes a game in the first half this year and then riding the bench in the second baring foul trouble.
                If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I've liked what I have seen so far without Pick and Phyfe.

Not worried about the # of turnovers as someone said as much as that some were sloppy. To be expected of a freshman and certainly correctable. As was noted, the assists will come as guys hit shots (and that could also be said in defense of Juwan the last few years as well-the difference is AJ can make shots on his own as well). It will be interesting to see how teams try to defend him-use a little quick guard with stealthy hands or a longer, more physical guard on AJ, or double team him to get the ball out of his hands. Nice problem to have to think about though.

I agree with those that say Luke and Biggie aren't true inside players, but I think with this group that will actually be a benefit. It will also force other teams to decide if they want to play a true big man against us-they won't be able to camp in the lane on defense with our big guys able to shoot away from the hoop-so any bit we give on defense is offset and our pack line has always made it hard to feed it inside on us-so that will help those two down low (thought McDonell held his own nicely against a pretty physical UIU center last night).

We can spread, drive and dish. We actually have some athleticism that we can roll out there in Green, Berhow, Brown, Lohaus, Wentzien, Pickford. Not so much Haldeman, but he will be able to station outside ready to gun from kick-outs.

Defense looked sharper last night as we simply overwhelmed Wartburg. Still plenty to work on but like the talking and active hands-lots of tips/deflections. Zay Brown is going to be a nightmare for a lot of 'star' players this year as he has clearly bought fully into the role of being a defensive stopper. Might be as good as we have ever had in that roie.

Comment

Everyone needs to relax on the big guys. Phyfe hopefully will be back soon. Luke and Biggie are playing out of position a little bit with him out. Both will have to play some 5 this season. But neither will play as much 5 as they have without Phyfe. They were both very efficient in the exhibition games.

Luke McDonnell
                    12 points
                    5-7 FG
                    12 rebounds
                    2 blocks
                    5 steals
                    31 minutes

Biggie Goldman
                    22 points
                    9-13 FG
                    3-5 3PT
                    12 rebounds
                    3 blocks
                    34 minutes

Those are fine numbers. Especially in a lineup that is LOADED with guards and wings that can score. This team has a lot of options. When Phyfe and Pickford get back this team will be deadly offensively. Defensively they showed flashes of being good last night. It got sloppy late but Upper Iowa made 1 shot inside the 3 point line in the first half. Fun team! Everyone should be really excited to watch these guys!

Comment

3-5 3PT from the 4/5 player, I love modern basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by MDB View Post
                        Everyone needs to relax on the big guys. Phyfe hopefully will be back soon. Luke and Biggie are playing out of position a little bit with him out. Both will have to play some 5 this season. But neither will play as much 5 as they have without Phyfe. They were both very efficient in the exhibition games.
                        I don't think anyone is stressed about the interior. Our dynamic changes with Phyfe significantly and teams have to respect inside and out. It will make us a VERY dangerous team if/when he is able to return. I love what Luke has shown so far, but having Austin in the lineup when we hit the Paradise Jam and Valley play changes the game plan in a great way for us.

What I've seen from Biggie so far reminds me of Adam Koch. We could only be so lucky to see that type of player develop out of him. Beyond excited for his potential.
                        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by MDB View Post
                          Phyfe hopefully will be back soon. Luke and Biggie are playing out of position a little bit with him out. Both will have to play some 5 this season.
                          You have highlighted my only real concern. I think you are completely correct. Its just if Phyfe does not come back soon that I am concerned about.

Comment

I really like Biggie with the ball. He is immediately agressive and putting pressure in the defense. Other bigs are really going to have trouble dealing with his ability to shoot or drive.
                            "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Working...
                            X