WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 17- Valpo (Black out!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played pretty meh for about 15 minutes
    Played pretty bad for about 12-15 minutes
    Really only played "well" the first 7.5 minutes of the first half and 4.5 minutes of the second half. 12 minutes is really all the team played "well" and

Still scored 88
    Still won by 10

This team is something else right now

Comment

• Originally posted by Cannic88 View Post

stayed at 39.
      I'm a little surprised we didn't move up at all. This wasn't a great win, but I thought SC beating Kentucky would help a bit too. Bradley and Indiana St moved into the 80s. It would probably help if us, Bradley, Indiana St and Loyola separate from the rest of the Valley.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
        Played pretty meh for about 15 minutes
        Really only played "well" the first 7.5 minutes of the first half and 4.5 minutes of the second half. 12 minutes is really all the team played "well" and

Still scored 88
        Still won by 10

This is the crazy thing. We weren't good defensively at any point. AJ had a 6 minute stretch where he wasn't guardable and Zay was very good for the entirety of the second half.

I don't think I agree with Valpo being very good but we were able to overcome a very average night and beat a team we should beat by double digits. Can't ask for much more than that.
        #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I'm a little surprised we didn't move up at all. This wasn't a great win, but I thought SC beating Kentucky would help a bit too. Bradley and Indiana St moved into the 80s. It would probably help if us, Bradley, Indiana St and Loyola separate from the rest of the Valley.
          The main reason UNI didn't move up was because of the defense. Scoring 88 points for a team who ranks 315th in Tempo, that's kicking some ass. The Panthers are up to 17th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency. The defense has slipped to 122nd.

Winning by 10 only helped minimally. When 13 of your 15 games are wins, you're piling up a lot of positive outcomes. Coming into last night's game, their MOV(margin of victory) was 5.4286. Now it stands at 5.7333. It's hard to say how much that +0.3 or so helped. As you get closer to the top, the number of teams you can pass dwindles. The important thing to to continue winning by 10+ and push it as high as they can to offset any unforeseen loss that occurs.

Comment

Played pretty meh for about 15 minutes

Still scored 88
            Still won by 10

The drought in the 1st half last night would have caused previous UNI teams to scratch out 55 points on the night. It's going to be interesting to see how other coaches start to defend UNI. There is the argument of just let AJ go off and hold everyone else in check. If he puts up 40, who cares if you limit everyone else to less than double digits. Or do you take away AJ and try to make the others beat you? I think Valpo tried both last night and it allowed Phyfe, Brown and Berhow all to get going a bit in the 2nd half and at that point it's hard to guard anyone when they are playing with that much confidence.

I'm assuming Jake will get the defense figured out, but that 1st half last night was too similar to the Ill St. 2nd half. I think you have to keep Ty in the starting lineup at this point for his defensive abilities and the team is 4-0 since he's been starting. He had some turnovers last night, but I've been impressed with his ability to handle the ball and help get some looks for other guys on the offensive end despite how little he touches it.

Comment

• Originally posted by beef50677 View Post

The main reason UNI didn't move up was because of the defense. Scoring 88 points for a team who ranks 315th in Tempo, that's kicking some ass. The Panthers are up to 17th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency. The defense has slipped to 122nd.

Winning by 10 only helped minimally. When 13 of your 15 games are wins, you're piling up a lot of positive outcomes. Coming into last night's game, their MOV(margin of victory) was 5.4286. Now it stands at 5.7333. It's hard to say how much that +0.3 or so helped. As you get closer to the top, the number of teams you can pass dwindles. The important thing to to continue winning by 10+ and push it as high as they can to offset any unforeseen loss that occurs.
              Also, South Carolina lost to Stetson at home (NET ranking 320-ish) which killed their ranking. Hopefully they can claw there way back to a NET ranking of 100 or less, so this can be a Quad 2 win.

Comment

• Mudra,
                Jake is in his 14th season as our head coach. It's beyond time for you to learn how to spell his name. Unless it's being done on purpose, in which case the lack of respect is incredibly unnecessary.
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Imagine thinking someone shooting 40% from deep, averaging 20 ppg, for the season is bad and cant' shoot because he had a rough 15 minutes.

Now imagine saying that about someone who over the last 10 games is shooting 50% from deep while averaging 25 points per game

Dude is a troll. I'm all for just making trolls no longer able to post.

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

The drought in the 1st half last night would have caused previous UNI teams to scratch out 55 points on the night. It's going to be interesting to see how other coaches start to defend UNI. There is the argument of just let AJ go off and hold everyone else in check. If he puts up 40, who cares if you limit everyone else to less than double digits. Or do you take away AJ and try to make the others beat you? I think Valpo tried both last night and it allowed Phyfe, Brown and Berhow all to get going a bit in the 2nd half and at that point it's hard to guard anyone when they are playing with that much confidence.

I'm assuming Jake will get the defense figured out, but that 1st half last night was too similar to the Ill St. 2nd half. I think you have to keep Ty in the starting lineup at this point for his defensive abilities and the team is 4-0 since he's been starting. He had some turnovers last night, but I've been impressed with his ability to handle the ball and help get some looks for other guys on the offensive end despite how little he touches it.
                    You cant just simply take AJ away because we have Spence, Trey, and Isaiah who are all 40-50% shooters standing wide open on the 3 pt line to kill you, and Phyfe cleaning up on the offensive glass. That’s why the construction of this team around AJ is so great.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Imagine thinking someone shooting 40% from deep, averaging 20 ppg, for the season is bad and cant' shoot because he had a rough 15 minutes.

Now imagine saying that about someone who over the last 10 games is shooting 50% from deep while averaging 25 points per game

Dude is a troll. I'm all for just making trolls no longer able to post.
                      One of the best things I've done in recent memory in regards to this site was to put Mudra on "ignore", and I suggest everyone else do the same.

He adds absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever here, and my experience on here has honestly improved by not having to read his asinine b*ll****.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

One of the best things I've done in recent memory in regards to this site was to put Mudra on "ignore", and I suggest everyone else do the same.

He adds absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever here, and my experience on here has honestly improved by not having to read his asinine b*ll****.
                        In general i don't read game threads before or during games, and then I'll skip to like the last two pages.

I saw he made an appearance and had to go search it out. I needed a good laugh at my desk today.

Comment

• I'm actually open to hearing a lot of things Mudra says and sometimes (although rarely) agree - such as Dahl playing more last year and hating our typical let the clock run then chuck up a shot late in games. That said, he is pretty bull headed on his thoughts. AJ is arguably already the best scorer we've seen at UNI. He's going to make mistakes, everybody does, but bashing him is just complete incompetence.
                          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• I'll be real it's been a while since I've laughed as hard as I did when Mudra said "I'm not around very often because of a busy life" and then immediately left when the second half started. That was really funny. That was like quality comedic timing.

Comment

• Anyways, boy that place can get rockin' when it wants to. Crowd was loud and into it at the start of that second half. Would love to see it actually fill up full at some point this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                                Anyways, boy that place can get rockin' when it wants to. Crowd was loud and into it at the start of that second half. Would love to see it actually fill up full at some point this year.
                                On TV it sounded extremely loud during the start of the 2nd half. My oh my. Keep winning and it'll keep filling more and more. The marketing dpt. has done an awesome job this year creating an enticing environment to be a part of. This team deserves a full atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X