WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Players

For those in the know, what is involved in recruiting international players? It seems like a lot of the 7'0" guys are from Eastern Europe or some -lavia country.

Originally posted by sivert View Post
    For those in the know, what is involved in recruiting international players? It seems like a lot of the 7'0" guys are from Eastern Europe or some -lavia country.

Some MVC schools seem to have mastered the art of recruiting international players. I think SIU had 12 swimmers/divers from other countries during one season. They even had a shirt with all the flags on it. One of the divers was a "30 year old" Olympic wannabe who won every year. Yeah, I'm still bitter.

Comment

Not sure, but I did see from Verbal Commits today that Boubacar Toure (RS JR) is leaving Grand Canyon University. 6'11" kid from Senegal with 2 years of eligibility. No clue how good he is, but it just caught my eye since we could really use a transfer with this kind of size for next year. Yes, useless info, this post just made me think of it.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Sitting this year out.

Missed last season with a torn ACL

Played 8 games in 15-16, shot 44% 4 points and 4 boards. 46% free throw shooter before suffering a knee injury that ended his season.

So in 4 years he will have played 8 games and none in 3 with 2 major knee injuries and surgeries

Hardest of passes
        "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
        -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Re: international talent, it has become increasingly more difficult to get SA's passed through the NCAA's process of amateurism. Mostly because if HS kids are good, they are playing with their local club pro teams. My understanding is that even if someone isn't being paid but still plays on a pro level team, the NCAA will count that against them.
          The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Back when I worked at UNI, we had to take a van up to Toronto for a conference (long story ... no choice but to drive).

Anyway, at the border check inside Canada going in, the border guard looked at our paperwork and said to another guard, "Hey, Gus (or whatever), these guys are from my college." Turned out she went to UNI from Canada on a golf scholarship.

Nothing relevant to this thread today, just tossing it out because it still amuses me. At least one other PN member was there.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
            X