WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schwab Interviewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I kind of regret even posting this. Would have been better to just let it all play out.

I vow to never do that again!
    Which winning percentage is better? 61% or 66%?

Comment

Im glad you did post it, otherwise we might have never known him leaving was a possibility.

Comment

Whew, that was close. I would’ve hated to see him leave. I really appreciate his loyalty AND he is a good coach. I also hope Branch stays at Wyoming. He’s made that a solid program, which is good for Big 12 wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_Panther View Post
          Whew, that was close. I would’ve hated to see him leave. I really appreciate his loyalty AND he is a good coach. I also hope Branch stays at Wyoming. He’s made that a solid program, which is good for Big 12 wrestling.
          I agree with both of your points.

Even going back to the WWC days, I've always kind of silently rooted for Wyoming. Branch has had a lot of success with that program by bringing in good talent from a fairly limited pool.

Comment

Every coach that doesn't get every coaching job turns it down. By the time a new hire is named that is the only coach that would take it.
            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

In perhaps the most bizarre twist of all, current assistant, Mike Poeta, is the new hire at Illinois.

So, ah, what happened to Branch as well? I thought that the job was basically Schwab's or Branch's.

https://fightingillini.com/sports/wrestling
              Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 04-21-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

For VB19's edification, I will restate that the program still needs a new direction. With a DII budget and facilities, even Cael would have trouble turning a program into elite level competitors. I cast no aspersions on Schwab save for lack of a serious RTC and perhaps some younger blood among the assistants. But he can only do so much with what he has to work with and that's on the AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionpanther View Post
                  that's on the AD.
                  He's limited by budget, though. That's why we always say at UNI that we have to do more with less in all of our sports.

Comment

Since this appears as good a thread as any, looks like Mizzou is coming back into the Big XII for wrestling. I would expect that it would lead to more big xii ncaa automatic qualifiers, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Comment

For VB19's edification, I will restate that the program still needs a new direction. With a DII budget and facilities, even Cael would have trouble turning a program into elite level competitors. I cast no aspersions on Schwab save for lack of a serious RTC and perhaps some younger blood among the assistants. But he can only do so much with what he has to work with and that's on the AD.
                      So we just remodeled the wrestling room and were still only at dII facilities??? Hes put alot of emphasis on the panther wrestling club as well and i believe with the amount of guys sticking around after graduating that this has been a success. Just ask our returning all american how having foster and lujan in the room helped him.

Comment

I mean, other than just the oldness (and everything that goes along with that) of the West Gym, the only things that really need updating are the weight room and the coaches offices. The locker room was renovated a few years ago, and as Union said the room was redone 8-10 years ago too.

Comment

Let's look at it this way: It's good that we're willing to have this discussion over the competitiveness of our facilities! At the end of the Penrith years, when there was still a gaping hole in the wrestling room (literally) and everything else being sub par, there were FEW at UNI, and especially on here, who said that we needed a new facility. "It's an excuse for a dead program," "fire the coach,!" was the mantra.

Then, Schwab comes in and says this isn't a DI facility, and we were all on the same page that it was outdated.

Comment

Working...
                          X