WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Johnson Draft Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Johnson Draft Status

Still a year away, but I saw this article today. Let's hope he only increases his draft stock with a great SR year!

#6 Senior Running Back according to Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...spects/page/15

Re: David Johnson Draft Status

David just posted on FB - he took 18 hrs the spring semester and pulled a 3.89 GPA! Great job!

Comment

Great to see him doing so well. He certainly played like an NFL runner in Ames last year.

Comment

Yeah, he is a hell of a back. Looks like NFL material to me. Best of luck to him against everyone but my Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by westnodak93bison View Post
          Yeah, he is a hell of a back. Looks like NFL material to me. Best of luck to him against everyone but my Bison.
          I hope that's the case. It would certainly be a nice selling point in recruiting if we can legitimately say we've got a RB on an NFL roster. That does matter.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
            I hope that's the case. It would certainly be a nice selling point in recruiting if we can legitimately say we've got a RB on an NFL roster. That does matter.
            You're absolutely right. It's that type of pitch that allowed Todd Blythe to land us Daurice Fountain this past year.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
              You're absolutely right. It's that type of pitch that allowed Todd Blythe to land us Daurice Fountain this past year.

I didn't think he could be that good, but Johnson proved himself to me against ISU last year. He looked as much like an NFL running back as anyone I saw all season.
              Last edited by UNIdad; 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                I didn't think he could be that good, but Johnson proved himself to me against ISU last year. He looked as much like an NFL running back as anyone I saw all season.
                One game is too small a sample size, but it is a Big 12 team, albeit bottom of the conference. Like it or not, much of David Johnson's NFL potential will be judged in the Iowa game. Scouts want to see how he does against higher level competition, not so much against Winona State, Drake, Western Illinois, etc.

Comment

One game is too small a sample size, but it is a Big 12 team, albeit bottom of the conference. Like it or not, much of David Johnson's NFL potential will be judged in the Iowa game. Scouts want to see how he does against higher level competition, not so much against Winona State, Drake, Western Illinois, etc.

Well, I was talking about Johnson, not Iowa State. Believe me, I can give you a long list of what Iowa State did wrong to help him in that game, but that is not my point. When I saw Johnson, I saw someone with great speed, power, and moves. Hope he gets a good opportunity in the NFL.

I really hope he improves his NFL stock by running all over Iowa, as well as having a great game against NDSU in November when the FCS regular season may have shaped up to be a battle between those two.

Comment

David Johnson has not, and will not, play against Winona State (UNI has only played them 3 times in football, with the most recent being over 15 years ago).

But yes, there will probably be more focus (from the draft standpoint) on his numbers in games against FBS opponents:
                    Code:
                    '13 Iowa State: 240 total yards (199 rush, 41 rcv), 4 TDs
                    '12 U. of Iowa: 154 total yards (77 rush, 77 rcv), 1 TD
                    '12 Wisconsin: 125 total yards (18 rush, 107 rcv), 2 TD
                    '11 Iowa State: 119 total yards (36 rush, 83 rcv), 2 TD
                    so averaging 159.5 yards and 2.25 touchdowns a game. Not too shabby

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                      David Johnson has not, and will not, play against Winona State (UNI has only played them 3 times in football, with the most recent being over 15 years ago).

But yes, there will probably be more focus (from the draft standpoint) on his numbers in games against FBS opponents:
                      Code:
                      '13 Iowa State: 240 total yards (199 rush, 41 rcv), 4 TDs
                      '12 U. of Iowa: 154 total yards (77 rush, 77 rcv), 1 TD
                      '12 Wisconsin: 125 total yards (18 rush, 107 rcv), 2 TD
                      '11 Iowa State: 119 total yards (36 rush, 83 rcv), 2 TD
                      so averaging 159.5 yards and 2.25 touchdowns a game. Not too shabby
                      I didn't literally mean Winona St, but more as an example of a nobody talented type team from the eyes of an NFL scout. James Ruffin was mostly judged by his post season all star game practices, and his matchup with Bryan Bulaga (or Rielly Rief?) from Iowa. Just pointing out that FCS level and below players are judged this way by the NFL, and expected to dominate competition at their own level. Johnson seems on his way to the dominate criteria. Hopefully he can play special teams on Sundays, as that will most likely determine his NFL viability.

Comment

One key skill scouts will love about DJ is his ability to catch the ball and block. NFL running backs are expected to do so much more than just get the ball handed off to them and run.

This was a big knock on Shonne Green a few years ago and has been a big reason why he is a bit one dimensional in the NFL.
                        Originally posted by TH1974
                        This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...66401376827904
                          "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Do you think DJ is better than John Crockett of NDSU?
                            UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
                              Do you think DJ is better than John Crockett of NDSU?
                              without a doubt
                              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Working...
                              X