WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretty much anyone that would go at $10 a ticket is going to go at $20/ticket. Maybe a few will decide against it due to price, but not many.
    Bigger issue is students being gone for break and people being out of town (or having other commitments) due to the holiday, and some folks being out of town for other athletic events (MBB in the Bahamas, VB at MVC tourney, WBB in Florida)

Comment

Not that I have other things to do, I checked out UNI's home playoff attendances since 1975.

UNI has hosted 24 playoff games averaging 9,513 for those games.

Fifteen of the playoff games were 1st round games with most if not all on the Friday or Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend averaging 8,637. This average includes a 1975 Division II playoff game attended by 2,500 and a 1987 playoff game but a few years after moving to DI 3,887. Using only Division I games increases the first round average to 9,075 and all playoff games hosted to 9,818.

Comment

Ordered my playoff tickets today and had them emailed so I could print at home.

The tickets say UNI Panther Football vs. Monmouth College.

Uh.....Monmouth College is a D3 school in Illinois. We're playing Monmouth University from NJ.

C'mon now guys...ya gotta get that stuff right.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

that is bad. I'd suggest contacting the ticket office and telling them about it. maybe they can get it fixed prior to the paper tickets being printed

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Uh.....Monmouth College is a D3 school in Illinois. We're playing Monmouth University from NJ.

hey, the Illinois Monmouth is within 400 miles of UNI. the NCAA only has to spring for bus fare, not plane tickets. score!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Yes. They should anyway. The Monmouth website indicates the school started as a Juco in 1933, college in 1956 and received university status in 1995. Took me a minute to find that out.

Comment

Any injury updates? Any news on Farley or Dunne specifically ?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                  pretty much anyone that would go at $10 a ticket is going to go at $20/ticket. Maybe a few will decide against it due to price, but not many.
                  Bigger issue is students being gone for break and people being out of town (or having other commitments) due to the holiday, and some folks being out of town for other athletic events (MBB in the Bahamas, VB at MVC tourney, WBB in Florida)
                  I agree. Personally, I would choose football first since it is my favorite. I do feel that football and potentially volleyball playing at the same time will ultimately end up hurting volleyball more. Although many people including myself, wouldn't mind spending a warm weekend down in the Bahamas chilling on the beach after watching the Panthers play.

Comment

I mean, was anybody outside of family going to go to the volleyball tournament anyway?

Have heard that about 250 UNI fans made the trip to Atlantis, so that won't be that noticeable....
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                      Any injury updates? Any news on Farley or Dunne specifically ?
                      Farley (the coach) is notoriously tight-lipped about status. I doubt we will know anything solid until Saturday.
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        I mean, was anybody outside of family going to go to the volleyball tournament anyway?
                        yes, at least one. haha. But no, it's not going to have a noticable effect on the overall attendance for the football game.
                        I'm guessing the official attendance will be around 7000

Comment

Ticket office got the memo...bought my tickets this morning and it's Monmouth University.

Let's hope we can play Eli for the first half and get him in rhythm and then hope we're up big so we can play a lot of players to get them game reps and game ready for a deep run into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                            Not that I have other things to do, I checked out UNI's home playoff attendances since 1975.

UNI has hosted 24 playoff games averaging 9,513 for those games.

Fifteen of the playoff games were 1st round games with most if not all on the Friday or Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend averaging 8,637. This average includes a 1975 Division II playoff game attended by 2,500 and a 1987 playoff game but a few years after moving to DI 3,887. Using only Division I games increases the first round average to 9,075 and all playoff games hosted to 9,818.

The '75 D-II playoff game was in crappy weather outside in OR Latham if I recall, so I'd leave that out of the average.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

You bid to host games.

The minimum bid is $30,000 for the first round. However, you can bid as much as you want. Whichever team bids more gets the game. The NCAA takes the bid plus some % of the gate revenue. A few years back JMU bid something like 175k for the first round - that's not a joke.

If you bid X dollars and your gate revenue doesn't make up for the $30,000 minimum the NCAA is taking, you're losing money.

This is why WIU went and played in a high school stadium in Dayton against Dayton a couple years ago. WIU did not bid. Dayton bid the minimum of $30,000. The game was held in a high school stadium. The NCAA took the $30,000 and Dayton took the loss of whatever the difference in ticket revenue and $30,000 was. There was about 700 people there. Let's say $20 a ticket. That's $14,000 in revenue. That means Dayton lost $16,000 to host that game. It is why WIU did not bid. They knew they would draw about a thousand fans over Thanksgiving. Wasn't worth the loss to them.

UNI bids aggressively. Tickets are $20 this week. Guess a 10,000 crowd and that's $200,000 that is used as bidding. UNI wouldn't bid $200,000 but it's a big enough bid that only about 4 schools currently in the FCS would outbid UNI.

Let's use Lehigh numbers to guess a bid - which was due middle of October - and UNI has a projected ticket intake of $120,000 for that game - 6,000 people at $20 per ticket. Chances are UNI is bidding 75-100K for that game.

The NCAA takes the $75,000, or whatever the bid was, and whatever extra is made on it goes to UNI (or the loss goes to UNI). This is why reported attendances in the playoffs are so very different than the regular season. The NCAA isn't taking regular season money. If there are 10,000 paid people at a game in October and you report 13,000 there's no impact other than inflating numbers. If you report 13,000 tickets sold to the NCAA in the playoffs and you only sold 10,000 you're paying based on the 13,000.

This is why I'm shocked Montana didn't get one of the last spots. That's 20,000+ people paying to get into a game. Often times teams with larger fan bases get AL at a higher rate

Maybe David Harris should be giving Monmouth $20k to not bid. Then, with a $30k bid, he is still $25k ahead (assuming UNI would otherwise bid $75k).
                              Last edited by UNIdad; 11-21-2017, 04:53 PM. Reason: Corrected from David Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Maybe David Johnson should be giving Monmouth $20k to not bid. Then, with a $30k bid, he is still $25k ahead (assuming UNI would otherwise bid $75k).
                                David Johnson?

Comment

Working...
                                X