WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2- at Sacramento State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by catsize View Post
    Get the tight ends involved in the passing game and we really start hitting all cylinders.
    That'll be an interesting thing to watch. We haven't used them in pattern very often in the last couple of years, if the offensive line problems are fixed it'll be nice to see if we can involve them more. Scott is a very capable pass catcher and Fourtenberry had some nice numbers at WKU.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by catsize View Post
      Get the tight ends involved in the passing game and we really start hitting all cylinders.
      Egads ... I forgot about using tight ends as receivers. That would be a nice option.
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Yep..te play would help...should be targeted more...used to be used more and our offense was more dangerous. Honestly fogot bout how important they are...

Comment

• I honestly forgot that we had them. It's been so long since we had Briley carving up defenses

Comment

• The St. Thomas game would present many opportunities to experiment on both sides of the ball. That one should be decided by halftime. The bench should get cleared.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
              The St. Thomas game would present many opportunities to experiment on both sides of the ball. That one should be decided by halftime. The bench should get cleared.
              I'm looking at their game against Michigan Tech and....this might be over by the 10 minute mark of the first.
              Michigan Tech is not a good D2. St Thomas won, which I get they were a D3 and they beat D2, 12-9 but trailed 12-3 going into the fourth and needed a score with less than a minute on the clock to win.
              They had 280 yards of offense including a massive 2.1 yards per carry. The QB went 13-23 with no TD, 2 picks and was sacked 5 times.
              So that OL was only able to must 2.1 YPC and gave up 5 sacks agaisnt a bad D2? The front 4 for UNI might actually break someone this week. I also went and looked at their sizes and...well...pray for them. They didn't list starters but did have 7 OL listed as playing, including 2 true freshman
              They go
              6'3 290
              6'4 315 TRUE FRESHMAN
              6'5 290
              6'8 280 TRUE FRESHMAN
              6'4 285
              6'4 300
              6'3 300
              Meanwhile, the main rotation on the DL for UNI goes
              Brawntae Wells DE 6'3 260 lead the Valley in sacks in the spring
              Jared Brinkman DT 6'2 290
              Tim Butcher DT 6'2 300
              Khristian Boyd DL 6'4 300
              Caden Houghtelling DE 6'5 255

Looking at their defensive stats and anyone that had at least 3 tackles what stood out to me is there are only 2 DL listed in that group.
              DB L. Glenna 5'11 180
              LB T. Shelstad 5'10 215
              DB J. Hird 6'2 205
              LB J. Bunce 6'3 230
              DB K. In 6'1 190
              DB J. Fallah 6'2 180
              LB T. Meyer 6' 220
              DL S. Bickett 5'10 270
              LB L. Herzog 6'2 230
              DL B. Robley 5'9 250
              DB G. Wurtz 5'10 180
              DB R. O'Connor 5'8 173
              DB M. Jackson 6'1 170

It also stands out to me that half (yes I know 6 isn't half of 13 deal with it) is under 6' - and that's based on football roster heights, which are generally not super accurate for LB/DB. The two that are DL are 5'10 270 and 5'9 250. I guess the theory could be they are way too damn short for our 6'6 6'7 OL to get their paws on, though given how poorly they did at keeping the OL off of them (as shown by 7 of the 13 leading the team in tackles being DBs)

For once Quan and the McShane brothers aren't going to be the smallest players on the field.

This could get ugly quickly. In theory, I could see this playing out like 2009 USD where Pat Grace through for 450 and 4 TD in the first half with the starters playing every snap of the first half before the seconds and thirds ran the second half. That game was 7-7 with 11:40 left in the first quarter and then 45-7 at half. USD scored their first play of the game on an 80 yard pass and I think Farley took that personally.

IF Day does start he absolutely needs reps. It's a tough balance to work out. If we look at SDSU they've lost two important pieces for the season already this year and one of them was this past weekend against a bad D2 team that they could have scored 100 on. He broke his collar bone when the Jacks were already up by 5 or 6 scores in the first half. I would have to think you'd give Day a full half, if not three quarters. Do you keep all the ones out there around him? I can't say anyone is in favor or putting Hampton, Penning, McShane, Weston, etc. at risk of injury when the game is out of reach, however, reps are needed. Do you keep Day out there behind the second OL under the belief (reality) that the twos on the OL are more than capable of protecting him against even the UST 1s?
              GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Day has to have reps. He hasn't played in 3 years and the off week is next week. I think he's got to play a full 3 and I think you'd have enough confidence in your OL 2s to keep him clean without issue.

I also think you have to give Morrissey the 4th. If you've made the move from Will, I don't see how he's part of your future plans at all when Morrissey may very well be.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Not all offenses use tight ends much for receivers. Where I played foolball in college they were almost solely used for blocking. We had two, 250 pounders who were all blockers.

OK, now, how about some positive about the team, folks! Lot of nattering neybags of negativism going on here after a 21 pernt victory.
                  Which winning percentage is better: 61% or 65%?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

UNI’s O line seems to be better than preseason.predictions. Iowa, a team which lives off the run, had no better luck as a unit than UNI against Iowa State.
                    You're going to be everyone's enemy with those kinds of words, my friend.
                    Which winning percentage is better: 61% or 65%?

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                      I'm looking at their game against Michigan Tech and....this might be over by the 10 minute mark of the first.
                      Michigan Tech is not a good D2. St Thomas won, which I get they were a D3 and they beat D2, 12-9 but trailed 12-3 going into the fourth and needed a score with less than a minute on the clock to win.
                      They had 280 yards of offense including a massive 2.1 yards per carry. The QB went 13-23 with no TD, 2 picks and was sacked 5 times.
                      So that OL was only able to must 2.1 YPC and gave up 5 sacks agaisnt a bad D2? The front 4 for UNI might actually break someone this week. I also went and looked at their sizes and...well...pray for them. They didn't list starters but did have 7 OL listed as playing, including 2 true freshman
                      s?
                      I'm old enough to remember UNI losing to D2 North Dakota at home.

Comment

• I'm happy to be the UST rep on the board here this week and answer questions to the best of my ability as an alum ('07) and fan (though it was much easier and more accessible as a D3 program and travel mostly within a 15 minute radius to make it work with young kids... we'll see how this transition goes).

I'm an Iowa native and my college decision included UST and UNI in my final 3. Haven't been back to Cedar Falls since visiting some friends there in college, but I'll be making the trip for the game with my 11 year old daughter, a friend and his daughter, and my parents (from the Carroll area).

I have no illusions that we will have a chance to win in this game, just looking to see a few positive signs that confirm we can be a middle of the Pioneer League team in year one of the D3 to D1 transition. We aren't going to match up in size or speed and our offense struggled to get much going last week outside of a few plays. The two INTs were on a 4th down (actually benefited us in terms of field position) and a long chuck at the end of the half. The defense held Michigan Tech pretty well (their TD was on a blocked punt) although I also noted that we had way too many tackles coming from the 2nd and 3rd level.

The Michigan Tech game notes had a pretty decent approximation of the two-deep, with a few exceptions:
                        https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...Notes_0911.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by jamtod View Post
                          I'm happy to be the UST rep on the board here this week and answer questions to the best of my ability as an alum ('07) and fan (though it was much easier and more accessible as a D3 program and travel mostly within a 15 minute radius to make it work with young kids... we'll see how this transition goes).

I'm an Iowa native and my college decision included UST and UNI in my final 3. Haven't been back to Cedar Falls since visiting some friends there in college, but I'll be making the trip for the game with my 11 year old daughter, a friend and his daughter, and my parents (from the Carroll area).

I have no illusions that we will have a chance to win in this game, just looking to see a few positive signs that confirm we can be a middle of the Pioneer League team in year one of the D3 to D1 transition. We aren't going to match up in size or speed and our offense struggled to get much going last week outside of a few plays. The two INTs were on a 4th down (actually benefited us in terms of field position) and a long chuck at the end of the half. The defense held Michigan Tech pretty well (their TD was on a blocked punt) although I also noted that we had way too many tackles coming from the 2nd and 3rd level.

The Michigan Tech game notes had a pretty decent approximation of the two-deep, with a few exceptions:
                          https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...Notes_0911.pdf
                          Thanks. And welcome to the board and D-I ball.

I am in the Twin Cities and used to drive past the St. Thomas campus and stadium on my commute to work. Looking forward to seeing them host the Panthers there next year - should be a sizable UNI group as so many of alum are in the Twin Cities.
                          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by Logicfan View Post

I'm old enough to remember UNI losing to D2 North Dakota at home.
                            North Dakota was an overfunded D2 with a full compliment of scholarship players.

This ain't that.
                            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Thanks. And welcome to the board and D-I ball.

I am in the Twin Cities and used to drive past the St. Thomas campus and stadium on my commute to work. Looking forward to seeing them host the Panthers there next year - should be a sizable UNI group as so many of alum are in the Twin Cities.
                              I think the return trip is in 2024 (September 7th). Hopefully by that point, we'll be settled into the FCS world and near the top of the Pioneer League, with sights set on the next steps 5-10 years in to the transition.

(also wth am I doing wrong here, it won't let me post without a link, always saying "please enter a valid URL" as if the http:// part of the link won't go away)

Comment

• Originally posted by jamtod View Post

I think the return trip is in 2024 (September 7th). Hopefully by that point, we'll be settled into the FCS world and near the top of the Pioneer League, with sights set on the next steps 5-10 years in to the transition.

(also wth am I doing wrong here, it won't let me post without a link, always saying "please enter a valid URL" as if the http:// part of the link won't go away)
                                Welcome to the board fellow Tommie. UST class of 1994 here. Also a UNI alum, MAE. This has been a long time coming as they were talking about eventually going D-I even back when I was in school. Will be fun to see the Tommies again in person as I haven't been to a game since I was a student, have enjoyed catching a few of their playoff runs a few years ago on TV and streaming. I'm looking forward to a return game on campus in a few years, though campus has undergone some major renovations in the last 25 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X