WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA and NIT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA and NIT

Only one MVC team in post season play. Unbelievable that all this conference can muster is ONE team

Eh, many Valley teams could get in the CIT or CBI, but just don't want to. NIT takes 1 seeds who lost conference tourneys, then fills the rest with mainly P5 teams.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

The parity this year in the conference killed any chance of a NIT bid. Plus the non conference SOS while not as bad as in the past is rather poor after us.

Comment

Getting at large from a mid major is getting harder and harder. The big boys and CBS don’t want them.

Compare last year to this year and thr seed WSU got. They went way up just by getting out of the Valley.

There are few non power five conferences that get respect. If you are not in one of them you might as well play in a dumpy conference because you are only getting one bid, might as well be in the easiest.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
          Getting at large from a mid major is getting harder and harder. The big boys and CBS don’t want them.

Compare last year to this year and thr seed WSU got. They went way up just by getting out of the Valley.

There are few non power five conferences that get respect. If you are not in one of them you might as well play in a dumpy conference because you are only getting one bid, might as well be in the easiest.
          I agree it really stinks the way Mid Majors are being treated. I would much rather see Mid Major regular season champs like Middle Tennessee State than under .500 power 5 teams like ASU, Syracuse, Oklahoma etc.

Comment

FWIW, Drake is hosting a CIT game right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw View Post
              FWIW, Drake is hosting a CIT game right now.
              Tied at half vs an 8th place Southland team, yuck.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Drake pulls out the OT victory

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                  Eh, many Valley teams could get in the CIT or CBI, but just don't want to.
                  Agreed. The CIT had 32 teams two
                  years ago. 26 last year. 20
                  this season. They have room. The entire MVC could buy in if they wanted. But more and more schools/conferences see it as a no win proposition. You’re virtually guaranteed to lose money. So in essence you’re buying (minimal) tv exposure and maybe a few more practices after a long season.

On the flip side, I can see why Drake would do it. Some, albeit, again, small, amount of publicity opportunities. New coach that needs to build excitement. Fun way to send off five seniors. And as a private school they don’t have to answer to the same public that might question if it’s a fiscally responsible use of taxpayer dollars like the UNI AD might have to do.

Comment

I agree. Plus, the team exceeded expectations. Playing in something like this is a great reward.

Comment

SIU, ISU Red, Bradley, Mo State, Evansville and even UNI could have played in the postseason if they wanted. Heck Valpo even probably could’ve.

Comment

Loyola gets the win with a fantastic 3 at the end! When will the committee stop underseeding the Valley?

2018 - 11 seed Loyola "upsets" 6 seed Miami
                        2017 - 10 seed WSU "upsets" 7 seed Dayton
                        2016 - 11 seed UNI "upsets" 6 seed Texas; 11 seed WSU crushes 11 seed Vanderbilt, "upsets" 6 seed Arizona
                        2015 - UNI and WSU both got respect this year, but 7 seed WSU "upset" 2 seed KU
                        2014 - WSU had a 1 seed. The apex of Valley respect?
                        2013 - 9 seed WSU "upsets" 8 seed Pittsburg, 1 seed Gonzaga, and 2 seed Ohio State. Creighton had a 7 seed.
                        2012 - WSU had a 5 seed, Creighton had an 8. Both were probably right.
                        2011 - Indiana State had a 14 seed. They were lucky to be there, and lost handily.
                        2010 - 9 seed UNI "upsets" 8 seed UNLV and 1 seed KU

So since 2010, the Valley has sent 13 teams to the tournament. As far as I can tell, only 2 of them lost in the first round (ISU in 2011 and WSU in 2012). The Valley team was the lower seed in 6 of those 11 first round wins.

Comment

The Valley has won 10 consecutive Round of 64 games.

But, yeah, ****tly league in flyover country.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Would be interested to see how different leagues have performed relative to their seeds over the last quarter century or so. I gotta imagine the Valley would be at or near the top of that list.

Comment

I’m enjoying watching WSU lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X