WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with center scoreboards

https://deadspin.com/breaking-the-ch...ron-1828978566

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
      The problem with center scoreboards

https://deadspin.com/breaking-the-ch...ron-1828978566
      Uh, ouch. Good thing it happened when the court was empty.

edit: Ok, apparently they were working on it at the time and had it lowered before it fell. At least it just didn't randomly come crashing down
      Last edited by CyCarp; 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

if they put in a center scoreboard, I just hope it is high enough to not interfere too much with volleyball.

Comment

I never saw any VB games in the West Gym, but I always wondered if the low ceiling affected play.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            if they put in a center scoreboard, I just hope it is high enough to not interfere too much with volleyball.
            With the way that McLeod is designed, I would think that the scoreboard wouldn't have to hang super low, especially if they put a steeper tilt to the monitors.

Comment

the ceiling in the West Gym definitely affected play. and in a funny coincidence, as I was typing this, there was a live ball bouncing off the rafters during UNI's match vs. Lipscomb played at Illinois' Huff Hall.

Comment

Is the point replayed at the point at which it hits the rafters or is it played out?

Comment

Originally posted by iron panther View Post
                  Is the point replayed at the point at which it hits the rafters or is it played out?
                  I don't think points are replayed due to hitting overhead obstruction (unless maybe if the ball becomes stuck up there).
                  The usual rule is that the team that last contacted the ball prior to it hitting the overhead obstruction can continue to play it (if it comes down on their side of the playable area), but if it crosses over the other team's side, it is out of bounds (thus the team that didn't hit the ball off the ceiling gets the point).
                  I think this only applies to surfaces/objects directly over the court. I think if a team bounces the ball off something that is above the bleachers or something, it is considered out no matter where the ball comes down.

Comment

Working...
                  X