WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Another horrific one thanks to Northern Illinois

The unibrow on the husky probably isn't what they were going for.
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

You're answer is in the question. It's incredibly hard on the joints and subfloor every time you take it up and put it back down. If you just left it down it would last 3 times as long but it never goes together the same way after the first time. Lots of hammering and pounding on it to get everything in place and close gaps.

Still wondering about this 6-8 year replacement timeframe.

How often did they take up the floor? It doesn't seem like it would need to be taken up very often. Its not like they also play hockey in there. Seriously, for what reason would they need to take up the floor, especially during the basketball season?

And the reason I've heard to replace it is "can't be sanded anymore." That doesn't seem to have anything to do with joints and subfloor.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Still wondering about this 6-8 year replacement timeframe.

How often did they take up the floor? It doesn't seem like it would need to be taken up very often. Its not like they also play hockey in there. Seriously, for what reason would they need to take up the floor, especially during the basketball season?

And the reason I've heard to replace it is "can't be sanded anymore." That doesn't seem to have anything to do with joints and subfloor.
        All I know is the last 3 floors that we've had have lasted about 7 or 8 years and guys that are on the facilities staff expect them to last that long. We aren't buying the incredibly expensive floors that they do in NBA/NHL arenas that are meant to be taken in and out 100 times per year. I would guess in the McLeod Center that the floor is taken up at put down about 8 times per year on average so that would be 65ish times that it takes that abuse. The floor gets taken up for concerts, boat show, commencement, certain wrestling tourmnments, banquets/rentals, gets moved to Dome for Basketball camps some years. Its in and out and that building is more well used than you'd think.

Current Floor 2010-11 to 2017-18 (Totally stripped and repainted and arcs stained in 2014, stripped and repainted for Casey's Logos in 2015)
        Last Floor 2001-2002 to 2010-2011 (The Horrible Orange Basketball Floor) (Stripped and repainted in 2005 to add McLeod USA Logos) (NI logo replaced with first Panther head at some point)
        Late Eldon/Weaver Floor 1994ish to 2001 (Same top coat as McElroy floor but subfloor redone and dead spots taken out)
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

Like I said, let's just go with a regular color throughout, then. The dark brown looks weird. It has nothing to do with our school colors.
          Wood of any color has nothing to do with our school colors....

If that is the guide we need to go full on painted.

Last edited by clenz; 04-13-2018, 03:58 PM.
          "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
          -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

"People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
            -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

I really don't think a basketball game or volleyball game is "used and abused" usage of the court. Are sneakers tearing up a hardwood court?
              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

The unibrow on the husky probably isn't what they were going for.
                Maybe I'm no looking at it right, but I just don't see a Huskie there. Looks sort of like an owl.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

So, what are we trying to solve here? It sounds like we got a new court....good!

Comment

My suggestion for the new court is an Oregon-ish theme, only with a cornfield instead of a forest. How could it get more "Iowa" than that?

(just kidding!!!)

Comment

Current Floor 2010-11 to 2017-18 (Totally stripped and repainted and arcs stained in 2014, stripped and repainted for Casey's Logos in 2015)
                      Last Floor 2001-2002 to 2010-2011 (The Horrible Orange Basketball Floor) (Stripped and repainted in 2005 to add McLeod USA Logos) (NI logo replaced with first Panther head at some point)
                      Late Eldon/Weaver Floor 1994ish to 2001 (Same top coat as McElroy floor but subfloor redone and dead spots taken out)

Thanks. Time for me to realign my thinking about how long courts last.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

Maybe I'm no looking at it right, but I just don't see a Huskie there. Looks sort of like an owl.
                        Is a new mascot in their budget?
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                          Obviously not that ugly, washed out looking purple that looks like it was colored on it with a magic marker. How about something darker and solid? Nice job, by the way, Northwestern - they managed to make purple look crappy.

I'd rather go plain wood on the whole thing than that dorky looking dark brown/light brown thing again.
                          For what its worth Northwestern's floor no longer looks like that.

https://i2.wp.com/thecatchandshoot.c...size=600%2C450

Comment

I agree with a previous poster on how are we going to get to buy part of the current floor?

Comment

They're going to install the new court tonight, you can watch them do it if you so choose, starting tonight at 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeHUtQra03s
                              Last edited by sevelev711; 09-05-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                                They're going to install the new court tonight, you can watch them do it if you so choose, starting tonight at 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeHUtQra03s
                                Did anyone attempt to watch the install live? Scratch that. It's happening now. Looks like the old floor is out and install will begin soon.
                                Last edited by Neighbor; 09-05-2018, 07:36 PM. Reason: Accuracy

Comment

Working...
                                X