WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Court

Seems like we just got one. How long are floors supposed to last? And why all the sanding? I would think you would mostly be replacing the surface products, not working with the wood itself. But I have no idea.

Comment

The current court is no longer usable... much too slippery.
      "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Usage life of a court is 6-8 years. Current one was installed in 2011, it's time.

I'm good with a similar design just make the baseline writing gold instead of white and have it say 'UNI Panthers" instead of 'Northern Iowa'

Oh and replace the Valley logo with a Mountain West logo,
        Last edited by BCPanther; 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM.
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          Usage life of a court is 6-8 years. Current one was installed in 2011, it's time.

I'm good with a similar design just make the baseline writing gold instead of white and have it say 'UNI Panthers" instead of 'Northern Iowa'

Oh and replace the Valley logo with a Mountain West logo,

6-8 years is probably about what it has been since the last one, particularly if we bought it used. I don't know anything about this, so I did a quick Google search. The first company I found offers a 40 year warranty! But that is if they do all the maintenance for 40 years. Ha.

"If we installed your floor, we offer a Lifetime Warranty Program that will warrant your wood floor for up to 40 years, as long as Sports Floors, Inc. is the only company who works on that floor (example: screen and recoat, sand, patch)."

In an SI article, it says 10 years for NBA floors, but with exemptions for longer.

"The NBA requires teams to replace the floor every 10 years, although one team has received annual waivers, making their floor last 19 years."

Do high schools replace theirs every 6 to 8 years? They would seem to take a much worse beating than college floors because of PE classes, dances, assemblies, etc.

Comment

More importantly, will we be able to buy squares of the old floor?

Comment

Check me on this...I think we bought the current floor from the NCAA and it was the floor from the 2010 tourney games in OKC where we beat KU.

Correct?

I'd like to buy a piece of that.
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I thought it was the floor from St. Louis and the Sweet 16 appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                  Check me on this...I think we bought the current floor from the NCAA and it was the floor from the 2010 tourney games in OKC where we beat KU.

Correct?

I'd like to buy a piece of that.

And think of the great wins on this floor since then!

Comment

Wasn't it the St. Louis Sweet Sixteen floor?

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                      I believe this is correct...
                      "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Yes. I remember goofy ass Troy making jokes about how we were playing on our home floor.

Buying tourney floors is actually a good deal. You pay about 20k less than new and that includes the resurfacing and design and realistically they've had, at most, 6 games played on them. I'd imagine this one is from Omaha or Wichita.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Make the mid court logo the graphic they used for the signees yesterday.
                          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah...I think you're right.

We shoulda got the one from OKC...we were 2-0 on that one.
                            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Good deal as long as you can keep getting tournament floors. But seems odd that they can't be refinished and re-used. IIRC, when it was decided the original synthetic floor in the Dome was no longer acceptable, we bought the ancient floor that was occasionally used at the McElroy Auditorium and had it refurbished.

Comment

Working...
                              X