WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Farley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes I wonder to what extent Farley is not easy to work with. He has only had 2 assistants leave for jobs that weren't a step up. Klieman when he went to NDSU, and the offensive coordinator we had a few years ago. I'm sure he is not all sunshine and rainbows but most football coaches aren't. But, I look at someone like Mario Verduzco who is one of the strongest personalities out there and he was with Farley for over a decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by havok58 View Post
      Is Farley easy to work for? I'm not talking about being friendly and accommodating, but willing to listen to input and implement those ideas from his assistants? We've seen assistants leave throughout the years, commonplace in the coaching industry. Some of have gone on to their own head coaching gig, some to a better program or the FBS level. But if Farley has a reputation of being difficult to work with, why would anybody that's familiar with him hire him as a coordinator or assistant of some sort? Would he accept an assistant role (even with more money or an FBS program) after being the "man" here for decades?
      I've had a number of interactions with Mark away from the game, and have nothing but good things to say about any interaction I have had with him.

I have had plenty of interactions with former players, and people who dealt with him inside of the football world, and their stories and thoughts are very different than what I - and almost everyone - would report away from the field.

Yes, there is a spectrum of ease to work for and everyone has different opinions of the spectrum. It's safe to assume he isn't the easiest coach to work for, but where he actually falls on that spectrum? I guess it depends on who you ask - do you ask Mario/Bill or do you ask Eric Sanders/Joe Davis/etc...
      "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
      -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

• I am glad to see a little bit of reality in this thread. Farley may not be the most popular coach in UNI history but the fact is he is a winner. Despite being 8-5 this year may have been one of his best coaching years when you consider SOS. He recruits quality kids both on and off the field, and the accomplishments of his assistant coaches and former assistants speaks for itself.

For those people who want Farley gone......take a look at Nebraska!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BDPanther View Post
          I am glad to see a little bit of reality in this thread. Farley may not be the most popular coach in UNI history but the fact is he is a winner. Despite being 8-5 this year may have been one of his best coaching years when you consider SOS. He recruits quality kids both on and off the field, and the accomplishments of his assistant coaches and former assistants speaks for itself.

Good post! Totally agree!

Comment

• So next year we open with an OOC slate of @ Montana, Southern Utah at home and @ Iowa.

I really like our chances of going 2-1 in those games with what we have back. That's being really optimistic with our track record at Montana but I like what we have back. I think Southern Utah loses a lot in their QB so they aren't they same team and they get to go on the road. Iowa will be an uphill battle...especially in week three when they've had a couple weeks to smooth out the rough edges.

I think the biggest thing we need this off-season is continuity on the staff. If we can retain most of our assistants i think it really helps us have a good spring and puts us in good shape in the fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
              I think the biggest thing we need this off-season is continuity on the staff. If we can retain most of our assistants i think it really helps us have a good spring and puts us in good shape in the fall.

Indeed. I find it quite amazing that the staff came together as well as it did after having so many new coaches and some being hired so late.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Indeed. I find it quite amazing that the staff came together as well as it did after having so many new coaches and some being hired so late.
                I've been saying it all season. Next year's success is heavily dependent upon this year's staff sticking around.
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

I've been saying it all season. Next year's success is heavily dependent upon this year's staff sticking around.
                  What, based on history, leads us to believe that will happen?
                  "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

What, based on history, leads us to believe that will happen?
                    Based on history, I expect a quarterback controversy leading into next season.
                    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• I will say this - given how outspoken I've been on this topic

The first 5 weeks of the year solidified my opinion of the direction of the program. From weeks 6 through the SDSU game I think it might have been the best job Farley has done as a coach since 07 or 08. He didn't have DJ to fall back on when he snapped out of whatever it is that causes the early season issues. He didn't have Eric Sanders, Johnny Gray, Victor Williams, Corey Lewis, etc... to bail him out. There had to be a systematic shift of the entire offense that was more than "give DJ the ball" that got us through 2014 and 2015. It required a staff to truly develop a plan. a system, a real program to win games. That all mostly went out the window - the system and my happy thoughts - with what happened in the playoff game. It was a prime example of a new year with the same story.

I will also admit I was wrong on the assistants. I was not impressed with them when they were first announced. That's not a secret. They came from programs that had zero success. They were coaches who were canned at previous jobs as part of a failed staff. I was wrong.

The job Bond did with Dunne is incredible. The shift in Dunne's progression from last year to this. Dunne's ability to know when to force it and when not too into tight coverage. The knowledge of the tree. Even something few may have noticed was Eli's throw away skill. That sounds dumb, but last year Eli threw the ball away by just getting it to the sideline. That resulted in a pick or two. This year when he threw it away, he airmailed in 15 rows into the stands to avoid that chance. It was fantastic to see.

The relationship that WRs had with McCann was crazy to see. This goes for most/all the assistants but the social media presense of McCann (and Danielson) and the easily apparent raport he had with them is something we haven't seen in years. The routes the guys were running were crisper and with more of a purpose. The group just looked different. I'm going to put Danielson in here too with his "hybrids". Crazy production and play making.

It's easy for me to say that Simmonds didn't impress me with the OL because of the sacks and average YPC as a team, but when you realize a 4 year starter was lost at center and then at one point your down 4 tackles and a guard, well, frankly it's nuts the success was had that was.

DP is tough to judge because it's a combo between the OL injury issues, injuries and other things. I can't say I noticed anything that would make me go "That's a major coaching issue".

The secondary was a big let down for me though. 3 starters back, 2 of which are AC guys and musical chairs was played. Gave up a seasons worth of passing yards in 1 game to Poly. It got better as the year went on, but it just seemed like a struggle at times. I also think they were hurt by the general lack of a pass rush outside of Neal. I don't know if that is a depth, skill, or coaching thing. Those two areas need to be cleaned up by next year. LB group at UNI will always be the LB group.

There, see I can say nice things about this staff.

Now, do I still see some pretty major issues that have been present for years now that really concern me? Yes.
                      Do I really wonder how much of this staff is actually going to stick around? Yes
                      Do I think a different voice is needed inside that locker room? Well....I'm more willing to give Farley next year now than I was 6 weeks ago but next year would be THE season. The buy out drops and if it's another OOC struggle, early MVFC struggle. 5+ losses for the 6th straight season then it might be time to say "Thank you for everything, the next coach will have a bunch to work with because of you"

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                        I will say this - given how outspoken I've been on this topic

The first 5 weeks of the year solidified my opinion of the direction of the program. From weeks 6 through the SDSU game I think it might have been the best job Farley has done as a coach since 07 or 08. He didn't have DJ to fall back on when he snapped out of whatever it is that causes the early season issues. He didn't have Eric Sanders, Johnny Gray, Victor Williams, Corey Lewis, etc... to bail him out. There had to be a systematic shift of the entire offense that was more than "give DJ the ball" that got us through 2014 and 2015. It required a staff to truly develop a plan. a system, a real program to win games. That all mostly went out the window - the system and my happy thoughts - with what happened in the playoff game. It was a prime example of a new year with the same story.

I will also admit I was wrong on the assistants. I was not impressed with them when they were first announced. That's not a secret. They came from programs that had zero success. They were coaches who were canned at previous jobs as part of a failed staff. I was wrong.

The job Bond did with Dunne is incredible. The shift in Dunne's progression from last year to this. Dunne's ability to know when to force it and when not too into tight coverage. The knowledge of the tree. Even something few may have noticed was Eli's throw away skill. That sounds dumb, but last year Eli threw the ball away by just getting it to the sideline. That resulted in a pick or two. This year when he threw it away, he airmailed in 15 rows into the stands to avoid that chance. It was fantastic to see.

The relationship that WRs had with McCann was crazy to see. This goes for most/all the assistants but the social media presense of McCann (and Danielson) and the easily apparent raport he had with them is something we haven't seen in years. The routes the guys were running were crisper and with more of a purpose. The group just looked different. I'm going to put Danielson in here too with his "hybrids". Crazy production and play making.

It's easy for me to say that Simmonds didn't impress me with the OL because of the sacks and average YPC as a team, but when you realize a 4 year starter was lost at center and then at one point your down 4 tackles and a guard, well, frankly it's nuts the success was had that was.

DP is tough to judge because it's a combo between the OL injury issues, injuries and other things. I can't say I noticed anything that would make me go "That's a major coaching issue".

The secondary was a big let down for me though. 3 starters back, 2 of which are AC guys and musical chairs was played. Gave up a seasons worth of passing yards in 1 game to Poly. It got better as the year went on, but it just seemed like a struggle at times. I also think they were hurt by the general lack of a pass rush outside of Neal. I don't know if that is a depth, skill, or coaching thing. Those two areas need to be cleaned up by next year. LB group at UNI will always be the LB group.

There, see I can say nice things about this staff.

Now, do I still see some pretty major issues that have been present for years now that really concern me? Yes.
                        Do I really wonder how much of this staff is actually going to stick around? Yes
                        Do I think a different voice is needed inside that locker room? Well....I'm more willing to give Farley next year now than I was 6 weeks ago but next year would be THE season. The buy out drops and if it's another OOC struggle, early MVFC struggle. 5+ losses for the 6th straight season then it might be time to say "Thank you for everything, the next coach will have a bunch to work with because of you"

Very thoughtful and reflective post. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by BDPanther View Post
                          I am glad to see a little bit of reality in this thread. Farley may not be the most popular coach in UNI history but the fact is he is a winner. Despite being 8-5 this year may have been one of his best coaching years when you consider SOS. He recruits quality kids both on and off the field, and the accomplishments of his assistant coaches and former assistants speaks for itself.

Yeah, look. There are all the assistants who used to work here. LOL
                          Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

• Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post

Yeah, look. There are all the assistants who used to work here. LOL
                            Lets hope they are better than 8-3 each year or they will all be gone in three years!

Comment

Working...
                            X