WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI MBB offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI MBB offseason thread

Lots to discuss heading into next season...

Will Phyfe be healthy?

Will Ty get anywhere close to 100%?

Do any of the freshman play?

Where do we finish in the Valley next year?

How is the schedule shaping up?

I think expectations are high for next year and rightfully so. On paper, with everyone back and healthy, we are really loaded with talent and experience. Looking forward to it.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Yes
    Yes
    Yes, Carter and Henry
    1st
    Icky outside of Cancun

/thread.
    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
      Yes
      Yes
      Yes, Carter and Henry
      1st
      Icky outside of Cancun

/thread.
      You think it's that clear that neither Carter or Henry redshirt? Granted I haven't seen too much of the incoming guys, but I felt like at least 2 of the 3 redshirt since we already go 8 deep, not even counting Croft or Biggie.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I would be surprised if Carter and Henry both play. I think there are potential minutes for 1 of them, but even then, is it worth wasting a season?

Phyfe
        Luke
        Dahl
        Biggie

Thats more than enough bigs if all are healthy.
        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

My guess...and it's a guess...is Noah Carter gets some minutes next year.

If he's ready to play D at the college level.

Because of his ability to shoot the 3 and score inside.

We need one more gear on offense and this guy can score the b-ball.

Henry is a possibility and I look forward to seeing his passing and quickness off the floor. He could be a great one before he's done if he's a worker. And a RS year could make the difference.

​​​​​​
          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
            I would be surprised if Carter and Henry both play. I think there are potential minutes for 1 of them, but even then, is it worth wasting a season?

Phyfe
            Luke
            Dahl
            Biggie

That's my only thinking with Henry. I know he is plenty talented and most years would see the floor right away, but I think we need to save a year if possible. Work on his midrange to 3 point line shooting a bit, put some weight on, suddenly he's the front runner for freshman of the year in 2 seasons from now.

Comment

I'm not sure with the offense that we run, as long as he's competent on defense, that Henry wouldn't be ahead of Dahl and Biggie.
              #MACtion

Comment

I'm not sure with the offense that we run, as long as he's competent on defense, that Henry wouldn't be ahead of Dahl and Biggie.
                I could absolutely see that. He seems to be a little more built for the interior than Luke, so I could see that. If that happens, then Carter and Betz both redshirt, right? Because, as long as they're healthy, AJ Trae Ty Za Spence Croft Luke and Austin will all get minutes. I think that's fair to assume. So add Henry and he gets 10-12 minutes a game maybe between playing the 5 or stretch 4 spot. There aren't minutes for the other 2. At that point it would be in the programs best interest to redshirt them all except for 1 (we all assume it's Henry or Carter) unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if Dahl doesn't overtake Luke during the summer in the rotation. Defensively he's a big body at the rim and offensively he's a hell of a screener. Personally, I would love to see all the freshman redshirt next year. I don't know if it's worth wasting a year of Henry or Carter for 10-12 minutes a game. Pickford wasn't a huge threat to score this year, but he showed flashes as a freshman. Having a healthy summer to work on his jumper could lead to a big year for him.

Any thoughts on how Biggie fits in next year? From watching this year it felt like he had a hard time keeping up with the speed of the game. He appears more comfortable on the perimeter, but I'm wondering if he has the ball skills to play the 4 or a similar role to Trae to be his back up?

Comment

That’s quite a statement. To me, Dahl gives us a real defensive presence down low. He eats up a lot of space, is physical and not scared to throw his body around, alters shots, grabs rebounds, and brings an overall nasty attitude. He’s got limitations, sure, but also has another year to develop. He’s got a role on a good team. He may not be a perfect fit for Jake’s new Euro offense, but he’s enough of a force to get minutes.

I like Henry coming in, but unless he’s Bill Laimbeer reincarnated, he takes a back seat to Dahl in the role. At least for his true freshman year.
                    Last edited by SteinPizza; 03-11-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

I'm trying to figure out if Dahl doesn't overtake Luke during the summer in the rotation. Defensively he's a big body at the rim and offensively he's a hell of a screener. Personally, I would love to see all the freshman redshirt next year. I don't know if it's worth wasting a year of Henry or Carter for 10-12 minutes a game. Pickford wasn't a huge threat to score this year, but he showed flashes as a freshman. Having a healthy summer to work on his jumper could lead to a big year for him.

Any thoughts on how Biggie fits in next year? From watching this year it felt like he had a hard time keeping up with the speed of the game. He appears more comfortable on the perimeter, but I'm wondering if he has the ball skills to play the 4 or a similar role to Trae to be his back up?
                      I agree with the bolded. When I see Henry I think about him as a true freshman vs him as a RS senior. I think we had the same conversation when Tut came here. Unless he's really going to chip in next year, think his upside with a RS is huge. I'm not as bullish on Carter than others here. His body type is just kind of awkward making me wonder where he fits, and I don't know that he has the quickness to help defensively. Hopefully I'm wrong on him though.

On a side note, I don't think I really realized how underrated Pickford was defensively until the conference tourney. Hopefully he can get healthy and get his shot back. I feel like he rarely shot after his injury because his shoulder.

Biggie is a big question mark. I think not having to play the 5 next year helps his game. It just seemed like he was overthinking things at times, and not comfortable. Another year in the system can only help him though.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I'm not as bullish on Carter than others here. His body type is just kind of awkward making me wonder where he fits, and I don't know that he has the quickness to help defensively. Hopefully I'm wrong on him though.
                        I partly agree with this. There was a stretch of a few minutes in the second half of the Waukee game where he took over the game and made an impact. That stretch showed why teams are interested. When Waukee had bodies on him in the post, he missed shots, or had them swatted into the stands by guys coming over to help. I saw an admittedly small sample size. It looked like it was a Waukee defensive lapse which allowed him to go off briefly.

From what I saw, redshirt him and give him a year in a college training program. It also gives him time to refine other areas he’ll need, like being a threat to put the ball on the floor and drive. If he can do that, then he’ll draw comparisons to Erik Crawford. Carter is already a good rebounder.
                        Last edited by SteinPizza; 03-12-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Henry, as a QB, is going to "see" Tuttle's offense better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Phyfe
                            Luke
                            Dahl
                            Biggie

IMHO. I think Luke is a defensive liability and gives up more points than he contributes. Not be be mean but i think Luke is more a division 2 caliber player. Dahl is big and very distributive on defensive. Should have been in more at end of MVC championship game. But he can't score. Maybe he should learn to dunk and risk offensive foul call. He is going to miss the layup anyway? He is very slow and has little stamina. But I like his intensity when he out there. Just wears down so quickly. I think giving biggie a scholarship was a mistake. He can't play to a level we need to win NCAA tourney games. So I guess i am praying phyfe can play and get us 6-8 points a game? and not be liability on defense. we will see. Maybe we can sign that elusive big transfer. (doubtful since not many to go around) (do we even have a scholarship to do that). we have 3 guys who can score in bunches, AJ and Spencer and berhow. Brown is defensive wizard. Pickford seems lost and needs to find his role. He is to way to good to waste. Jake needs to help him find his place. who am i forgetting?

Comment

Is there any chance these redshirt decisions depend at all on how special we think AJ Greens senior season will be?

Would we prefer to have Carter and Henry with 2 years of in game experience to pair with AJ? Otherwise it seems like AJ will be surrounded by a young and inexperienced team.

Probably a naive point of view but I think it's interesting to point out

Comment

Working...
                              X