WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assistant Coach Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Foster just took a head coaching job at Drury.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
      We'll pay the new assistant $90-100k. I'd imagine there might be a bit more for a Lansing type.
      I'd love to see something like that workout but if you look at what Jake has done, he's certainly kept it pretty close to the family.
      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

If you can't pay Ali $160K, do you think you are getting Lansing for less than that?
        I don't think we are getting either. I just think we'd pay more for lansing than Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Yea, After Lansing I have absolutely no clue who it could be.
          Mudrafan. Clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
            I looked up Ali's salary. At least 160k so not happening. Imo
            Lol. Welp.

Comment

I want someone who can recruit, first and foremost. Imo the current staff is good enough by itself if we were able to recruit just a click higher than we've done in the past.

Lansing is the unrealistic dream, Ali is shortly after that, then "a recruiter" after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post

Mudrafan. Clearly.
                Mudra would spend more time screaming at Jake, the rest of the coaching staff, the players, and the first three rows of the McLeod Center crowd than all of the other D I coaches spend screaming combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                  Possible candidates...off the cuff

- Tut (I think he's a candidate)
                  - Ali (if he wants to get back to Iowa with his family)
                  - Chris Foster
                  - Jeff Horner (HC at Truman State and ex D1 assistant)

I'm sure Jake has a lot of contacts and potential candidates. But would not be surprised at all if it's a hire that has ties to the program.
                  Another random thought...

Ben McCollum...HC at Northwest Missouri State.

He's won 3 of the last 5 D2 national titles. 97-3 last 3 years.

His teams move the ball like a work of art.

If perhaps he needs a few years on a D1 bench to get a D1 HC job...

He's from Iowa City and played at NIACC in Mason City.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Another random thought...

Ben McCollum...HC at Northwest Missouri State.

He's won 3 of the last 5 D2 national titles. 97-3 last 3 years.

His teams move the ball like a work of art.

If perhaps he needs a few years on a D1 bench to get a D1 HC job...

He's from Iowa City and played at NIACC in Mason City.
                    Based on their being talk that Indiana was interviewing a high school coach to be their new HC, he might not need to go further down the bench to go D1.

Comment

Another random thought... Ben McCollum...HC at Northwest Missouri State..
                      Just back from a weekend in KC, where local radio talk hosts are singing his praises. Took an essentially nonexistent program and turned it into a D-II powerhouse by getting PLAYERS to go to Maryville, of all places. Awfully attractive candidate, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by English77 View Post

Just back from a weekend in KC, where local radio talk hosts are singing his praises. Took an essentially nonexistent program and turned it into a D-II powerhouse by getting PLAYERS to go to Maryville, of all places. Awfully attractive candidate, IMO.
                        I’d think he’d have his sights set higher than a MVC assistant’s job.

Off topic, but what a job NWMSU has done building both their football and men’s hoops teams. Football has been a DII power for several years, and now add men’s basketball to that. Impressive.

Comment

Ali would be incredible. Would be great to have some 2010 mojo back in the McLeod.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                            Ali would be incredible. Would be great to have some 2010 mojo back in the McLeod.
                            I’ll take recruiting connections over UNI connections all day, every day. I’d assume Ali is building some, but no idea where. It sounds like his current salary is prohibitive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I’ll take recruiting connections over UNI connections all day, every day. I’d assume Ali is building some, but no idea where. It sounds like his current salary is prohibitive anyway.
                              From what I've seen on Twitter, it appears Ali is very active recruiting, especially in Iowa. I've also seen him spotted in Minnesota but that just may be him following Iowa prospects to northern tourneys.

Comment

I hope we get some fresh blood. I imagine it will be a tricky situation as you don't want to anger current staff.

Someone like Lansing shouldn't do that but after a few possibilities like that it will almost certainly be at an equal level as the current staff. And I have no idea what the possibilities would be for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X