WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 18: Drake (Purple out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Jake. He's probably one of the best human beings on the planet, but I'm pretty sure my 5 year old can coach a better last 5 minutes of a game. Trae hit a 3 to put us up 10 with 3:37 left. After that? TO, 1-2 FTs, missed 3 as the shot clock expired, missed 3 as the shot clock expired, TO. Drake scored 5 of 6 possessions to send it to OT. Then naturally, we can't get the O back up to speed in overtime. How many times does this have to happen to do things differently? It's just mind bogglingly stupid at this point and it's clearly not going to change until there's a coaching change.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Remember when we used to dominate Drake. Have lost our last four to them. They have a newer coach. We have the League’s highest paid coach. Maybe making a coaching change isn’t a bad idea

Comment

AJ made a 3 to put us up 50-40 with 15:48 to go. We made a total of six field goals over the remaining 20:48 of the game. Six. Total.

Comment

I'm not going to sugar coat it. I am very much not a fan of how that game concluded.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
            Remember when we used to dominate Drake. Have lost our last four to them. They have a newer coach. We have the League’s highest paid coach. Maybe making a coaching change isn’t a bad idea
            I get that you’re pissed UNI lost. It sucks. But, the makeup of this Drake roster is light years different than the teams UNI used to beat. Recruiting is everything, and Drake has done well and more well under their last two coaches. There’s no reason to assume UNI as a program should always be better than Drake. Things don’t work that way.

Comment

The AJ iso ball down the stretch was just horrid. Not running the offense that works all game is exactly what cost us this game. Pathetic. This program is broken.

Comment

The worst part about this is that we know it will never change. It literally happens over and over again, yet somehow Jake can't learn from his mistake.

Comment

I just miss when Northern Iowa made me happy. Now every time I check the scores for anything it makes my stomach turn. Wins don't feel victorious anymore, they're just a relief. And losses are expected, but still just as painful. I don't look forward to UNI Athletics, I dread it. When football and basketball were getting me down, I could at least rely on volleyball or wrestling, but those suck too, now. Being a Panther fan is like being a crack addict, but with only the lows. Haven't had a high in years.

Comment

Yeah. I don't know how you can look at that game as anything more than a giant disappointment. Credit to Drake. They made adjustments and won the game. We just can't get out of our own way with a lead. I can't believe we really went back to the standing around and doing nothing offense for the last four minutes again. We scored 41 points in the first half running the offense. We end up scoring 33 total with 2nd half and overtime because of this clock draining offense.

We weren't even getting hurt too bad by the terrible rotations and poor communication on defense early in the game. They had several open looks and didn't convert. Having said that, the defense was just not good tonight. That's a bit disappointing as it looked like we were playing really solid defense for awhile there.

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of running this offense towards the end of games when we have the lead when it has shown time over time to bite us so frequently. I hope Jake acknowledges that he was out-coached in the 2nd half because he certainly was. On to Evansville.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                      Berhow made a 3 with 3:37 to go to put us up 69-59.

Over the next eight minutes Drake scored on 11 out of 13 possessions, including two baskets that got them within two and tied the game in the final minute in which they literally just took it to the basket and laid it in. They outscored UNI 21-3 before a garbage basket by UNI at the very end. In that time the Panthers…..

Shot: 0/12
                      FTs: 3/4
                      Turnovers: 3

This has been pretty standard since A&M.
                      This sums it up pretty well. I stayed off of here after the Valpo game, but it was the same thing at Valpo earlier this week. Get a lead and quit doing what works. Why try and win by 15-20 if you can take the air out of the ball and just hope the other team doesn't score or you can outlast them.

Drake repeatedly sent a double team at AJ once the shot clock started to wind down and not once did the staff put the players in a position to be effective or do something different. To expect the refs to bail out AJ over and over again is ridiculous. The officiating wasn't the issue in this one. UNI bailed out the officials from having to make a tough call at any point despite Drake having 3 or 4 guys with 4 fouls. Drake had no interest in guarding Pickford and no one was willing to put the ball in his hands. I get it that he's not going to knock down a bunch of shots, but he's athletic enough to get in the lane and he's shooting over 80% from the line. The last bucket UNI scored to go up 10 was Pickford driving and finding Berhow for 3. Next time down I believe he drove and found Carter and got him to the free throw line. After that it was AJ pounding the ball and Jake sending screens so Drake could aggressively double him. UNI controlled the game for 35 minutes and the only thing they have to show for it is video of Drake fans celebrating in the McLeod Center.

Comment

First 33 minutes of the game: 20 fouls on Drake, last 12: 4. Yes we went into a slower offense but the officials refused to call the grabbing of AJ every time he cut off a screen. It was like watching the Salukis of old where they keep hacking until the refs just get tired of calling so many fouls. There were bad calls that went our way, too, but Drake should have been down into their bench before the end of regulation. Now whether we would have made our free throws....

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
                          First 33 minutes of the game: 20 fouls on Drake, last 12: 4. Yes we went into a slower offense but the officials refused to call the grabbing of AJ every time he cut off a screen. It was like watching the Salukis of old where they keep hacking until the refs just get tired of calling so many fouls. There were bad calls that went our way, too, but Drake should have been down into their bench before the end of regulation. Now whether we would have made our free throws....
                          That’s just it’s. Phyfe missed 4 FTs in a row. And he was not the only one. You can’t win games like that.

Comment

Look, I love blaming the refs as much as the next guy, you can't blame the refs for this one. At all.

Comment

We need to let Born shoot more than 4 times a game. The kid can score and this would change the way the defense plays

Comment

I’m not a basketball expert but I would guess its easier to get away with double-teaming AJ when we’ve got a guard out there that is an absolute non threat offensively unless he’s standing alone under the basket.

Also seems like we are just so afraid to foul at the end of the game we make it too easy. They just took it right to the rim and laid it in in the final minute to cut the lead to two and tie it. Similar thing happened at Bradley.

There was also a stretch right before we went full choke where Drake scored second chance baskets on 3 of 4 possessions. All three times it seemed to me the same guy should have has the rebound.

Comment

Working...
                                X