WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 18: Drake (Purple out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was Bowen not even in the game at the end of regulation?? I just do not understand. This one was just incredibly frustrating.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      Look, I love blaming the refs as much as the next guy, you can't blame the refs for this one. At all.
      This is false, it’s far more on us, but they were allowed to far more physical then we were, and that’s what allowed them to get back in the game.

Comment

One more thing regarding the offensive strategy the last part of the 2nd half...This is the kind of stuff that loses a team.

I'm not saying Jake has lost the team, but this strategy definitely shows a lack of trust in your own players. Not allowing your guys to go win the game is a huge problem. Don't be surprised if guys like Noah put their names back in the portal after this year. Players want to be believed in to go win a game. It's just bizarre that this team plays really well when we are behind later in games and so poorly when we are ahead.

These are and will be my most outrageous takes, but I do think it's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

This is false, it’s far more on us, but they were allowed to far more physical then we were, and that’s what allowed them to get back in the game.
          I don't know. The only real problem I had with the officiating was their quick whistle when Drake was backing to the basket against us. It didn't seem to matter who it was; they were eventually going to call a hand check, block, etc. on us. I just didn't agree with that. But otherwise, we didn't even give the officials a chance to even it out later in the game. They aren't going to call anything when we just dribble it around 5 feet outside of the 3 point line. They had a good strategy of doubling our ball handler out top and we didn't find the open guy.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

I don't know. The only real problem I had with the officiating was their quick whistle when Drake was backing to the basket against us. It didn't seem to matter who it was; they were eventually going to call a hand check, block, etc. on us. I just didn't agree with that. But otherwise, we didn't even give the officials a chance to even it out later in the game. They aren't going to call anything when we just dribble it around 5 feet outside of the 3 point line. They had a good strategy of doubling our ball handler out top and we didn't find the open guy.
            This is what frustrated me the most as well, I thought Heise got hammered a few times as well. Nothing outrageous by any means. But in a game that was tied at the end of regulation that could have been the difference in a win or a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
              I just miss when Northern Iowa made me happy. Now every time I check the scores for anything it makes my stomach turn. Wins don't feel victorious anymore, they're just a relief. And losses are expected, but still just as painful. I don't look forward to UNI Athletics, I dread it. When football and basketball were getting me down, I could at least rely on volleyball or wrestling, but those suck too, now. Being a Panther fan is like being a crack addict, but with only the lows. Haven't had a high in years.
              This is dark... real dark... but I get it. I only like teams that disappoint me, too. Stay safe out there.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                The worst part about this is that we know it will never change. It literally happens over and over again, yet somehow Jake can't learn from his mistake.
                Sounds like FB with Farley…

Comment

Need a new AD and a house cleaning of coaches. Likely save some money because several UNI coaches are way overpaid vs results.

Jake went from an up and coming coach to a stubborn fool quicker than anybody in the history of coaching.

coach Green got off the sinking ship
                  Last edited by run&blade; 01-22-2022, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Jake went from an up and coming coach to a stubborn fool quicker than anybody in the history of coaching.
                    I’ve heard Jake is a control freak like Farley…

Comment

For as big as the crowd was tonight, the place was far from electric.

Random thought, but in years past, the fight song was played several times throughout a game. There were multiple times tonight coming off of timeouts that would have given the crowd a chance to get back on their feet and into the game.

What a promising majority of the game for it to end the way it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post

I’ve heard Jake is a control freak like Farley…
                        Almost all of these guys are. Being a type A control freak has nothing to do with playing stupid on offense / AJ 1 on 1 ball at the end of games with a lead, or only wanting a running QB. Nick Saban is a control freak. So is Bill Bellichek.

Comment

Need a new AD and a house cleaning of coaches. Likely save some money because several UNI coaches are way overpaid vs results.

coach Green got off the sinking ship
                          I don't necessarily disagree but I have no earthly idea where we'd come up with the money to buy them out.

We'd owe Farley north of $2M and Jake $8.5M.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by unifan View Post
                            For as big as the crowd was tonight, the place was far from electric.

Random thought, but in years past, the fight song was played several times throughout a game. There were multiple times tonight coming off of timeouts that would have given the crowd a chance to get back on their feet and into the game.

What a promising majority of the game for it to end the way it did.
                            I think the days of worrying about the game day experience are over.

football and basketball will need to win and win a lot to get anybody to care going forward.

Comment

Both Jacobson and Farley had their contracts extended in ‘21, Harris’ was extended in ‘19. Harris’ ends in ‘25, Farley after the ‘26 season and Jacobson after the ‘28-‘29 season.
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Both Jacobson and Farley had their contracts extended in ‘21, Harris’ was extended in ‘19. Harris’ ends in ‘25, Farley after the ‘26 season and Jacobson after the ‘28-‘29 season.
                                Scary how god awful the condition of uni athletics will be by that time.

harris might be able to market himself as a guy that can turn a D1 program into DII.

attendance is going to be awful going forward for the next half decade. It’s almost a given.

Comment

Working...
                                X