WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

For those of you who are more into recruiting than me, do we think this is a guy that will make an impact on day 1?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
      For those of you who are more into recruiting than me, do we think this is a guy that will make an impact on day 1?
      I would say that he is a solid contributor, especially in some things that we really lack right now (athleticism and 1-on-1 defense), but likely not a starter as a freshman.

He's battled injury issues, which held back some bigger school offers. He also played along with a 4-star stud (headed for Wisconsin), which many think boosts other players value. (I don't. See: Doug McDermott)

He's a good get. Not a program changer. But a guy we really need right now. I would bet he doesn't redshirt, and plays solid minutes off the bench at the 2/3. Playing a similar role to Ashton last year.

Comment

I like how the coming years are shaping up again after this get. Rebuild again and hopefully surprise people next year, then who knows, snag a couple more solid players like AJ, and this team *could* be a force.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post
          I would say that he is a solid contributor, especially in some things that we really lack right now (athleticism and 1-on-1 defense), but likely not a starter as a freshman.

He's battled injury issues, which held back some bigger school offers. He also played along with a 4-star stud (headed for Wisconsin), which many think boosts other players value. (I don't. See: Doug McDermott)

He's a good get. Not a program changer. But a guy we really need right now. I would bet he doesn't redshirt, and plays solid minutes off the bench at the 2/3. Playing a similar role to Ashton last year.
          Agree with all of this.

He's had a really nice AAU season (yes, he's playing now, offer shopping) and has shown the ability to be a solid rebounder. He's ahead of where Isaiah was at this time. There's no chance of a redshirt and I'd expect he and Isaiah to split time at the 3 with Haldeman and Lohaus holding down the 2.

This team has a shot to win the league if Juwan is ready to take some of the reins offensively.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
            I like how the coming years are shaping up again after this get. Rebuild again and hopefully surprise people next year, then who knows, snag a couple more solid players like AJ, and this team *could* be a force.
            So true. I know we get sick of the '4 year cycles', But thinking about those 2 years when we've got: Last years freshman and juniors and seniors, alongside guys like Phyfe, Pickford, (hopefully) AJ. Those are very talented teams.

Don't sleep on this years team either. Wyatt back will be big. Juwan will be better and more experienced. Klint and Koch as seniors in the post. If we can manage to come out of our non-conf with all our limbs attached, we could really make a huge run through conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              Agree with all of this.

He's had a really nice AAU season (yes, he's playing now, offer shopping) and has shown the ability to be a solid rebounder. He's ahead of where Isaiah was at this time. There's no chance of a redshirt and I'd expect he and Isaiah to split time at the 3 with Haldeman and Lohaus holding down the 2.

This team has a shot to win the league if Juwan is ready to take some of the reins offensively.
              I would think Haldeman might play more point, with McDermott coming in potentially splitting 2 minutes with Wyatt. I can't imagine anyone but Juwan/Spencer running point this year.

But I think you're right about Juwan. This upcoming year is probably on him. If he can take that next step, we could be VERY good. Wyatt, Klint, Koch are all essentially seniors around him. And a very talented bench of Brown, Pickford, Haldeman, McDonnell, Phyfe. He's got all the pieces. He just needs to be able to run the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post
                I would think Haldeman might play more point, with McDermott coming in potentially splitting 2 minutes with Wyatt. I can't imagine anyone but Juwan/Spencer running point this year.

But I think you're right about Juwan. This upcoming year is probably on him. If he can take that next step, we could be VERY good. Wyatt, Klint, Koch are all essentially seniors around him. And a very talented bench of Brown, Pickford, Haldeman, McDonnell, Phyfe. He's got all the pieces. He just needs to be able to run the show.
                McDermott's time is going to be directly related to how well he defends. They don't do much of that at North Dakota...
                #MACtion

Comment

https://twitter.com/tywhon3
                  Popped up on my twitter feed about 40 min. ago.
                  Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                  Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                  - George Halas

Comment

I may be too high on this kid but I find this to be huge for our program. "Program changer" is thrown around and ppl are saying he isn't that kind of guy. With the right mix of players and AJ I think he and the group we have can in fact be program changers and I expect him to be a big part of that. His injury will be a blessing to us as I think he would have been out of reach if not for it.

Comment

This signing is a good finish to the 2017 class. I think both him and Phyfe have the potential to have really good careers at UNI.

It's also good to see some more athleticism surrounding McCloud and hopefully that can lead to an occasional transition basket if/when the half-court offense is sputtering.

Comment

Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                        I may be too high on this kid but I find this to be huge for our program. "Program changer" is thrown around and ppl are saying he isn't that kind of guy. With the right mix of players and AJ I think he and the group we have can in fact be program changers and I expect him to be a big part of that. His injury will be a blessing to us as I think he would have been out of reach if not for it.
                        First: Absolutely. Any GROUP can become program changers. Look at the class that included egleseder, koch, and Kwadzo. Ali transfered in as well. That was a program changing group.

Second: Tywhon could certainly become a program changing individual as well. I think if i remember right, he was ranked as the number 1 overall guard as a 7th and 8th grader in MN AAU ball. So, dude has had crazy talent forever. I think spending his high school days alongside a guy like Davison, and having that injury keep him out of state his junior year, lit a fire. He may end up being a guy that we go, "man, how'd we get that guy" in a few years. I hope so.

My comments above about not seeing him as a 'program changer' was more in reference to this year. As someone asked about his immediate impact on our team.

Comment

Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                          This echos my thoughts. I'm gonna go out and say he automatically becomes our most athletic player. The guy is 6'4" and averaged over 8 rebounds/game this year. I don't think anybody can be called a program changer before try play a minute here (unless a kid decides to pass up high P5 offers for us). He can throw it down with ease and also shot pretty well from the field this year, if I recall correctly. I don't think we had a chance of he didn't get hurt. Also, a big thing is that his body looks physically ready. I'm very excited about his potential.
                          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Late to the party but.........

KABOOM

Comment

Pickford is a really big guard. Won't be pushing him around. And can shoot. A recruiting battle we needed to win and won.

Comment

I am fairly new to watching the recruiting side of things. I feel good for the coaching staff. It seems like they really were doing the work to let Tywhon know UNI would be the right place. It must be really tough when you lose out on a kid, and feel great when you land the right one.
                                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Working...
                                X