WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any updates on Chatman?

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
      Any updates on Chatman?
      I thought I read that Coach Jake was watching him play over the weekend, I haven't seen any more offers for him though.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I thought I read that Coach Jake was watching him play over the weekend, I haven't seen any more offers for him though.
        He's that scrappy aggressive rebounder we need, if not big bodied.
        Imagine him and Ty crashing the boards while AJ fires away from 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

He's that scrappy aggressive rebounder we need, if not big bodied.
          Imagine him and Ty crashing the boards while AJ fires away from 3.
          Agreed, he would be a really nice piece to our team next season if he comes here. Could be the kind of player that is getting overlooked since he's playing with a guy who is one of the top recruits in the nation in Oturu.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
            I think Henry would be a really nice get for UNI, I think it all depends on how the scholarships shake out.

The only known senior on scholarship next year is Wyatt and that is spoken for with Betz.

Of the four seniors leaving this year:

Hunter Rhodes => AJ Green
            Klint Carlson => Miles Wentzien? (If he gets one, this would provide a second open scholly for next year's class)
            Bennett Koch => Adam McDermott (sounded as if this was the plan when he transferred, but don't know how firm a commitment and if he has 'earned' it.)
            Ted Friedman => spring signing this year, hopefully a HS player rather than a juco because of class balance issues

I don't know if a 5-4 would be a possibility, especially if Drake is offering full, but we would definitely have scholly's available the following year with McCloud, Haldeman, Brown, McDonnell, and Dahl in that class (and maybe McDermott).

Comment

• Article from the end of December. Article claims Cy is a very young senior and is still growing (6'7 at the start of the season to 6'9 now). He transferred because he wasn't getting much playing time last year (Probably explains why he's coming on late as a good recruit).

http://myrecruiteztips.typepad.com/m...n-midwest.html

My guess is we will start to hear more once the high school season ends.

Comment

• PantherCy has a good ring to it. Come southward, young man!

Comment

• Highlights can be deceiving but some of the stuff on his twitter of dunks and stuff he does....is....literally nothing UNI has ever seen before.

Hes taking alley oops off the glass and going over people to thunder dunk.
                  "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                  -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

• If any of our walk-ons get on scholarship we have a serious problem. If they were good enough to play then they should have seen the court on one of the worst performing teams in the last 15 years. I try not to be over dramatic but if that were to happen it would test my patience with this program and coach Jake. We need players with high ability and potential for growth. We're already a team full of Role players, we don't need more taking up scholarships.
                    Last edited by unipanther2154; 03-13-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                      If any of our walk-ons get on scholarship we have a serious problem. If they were good enough to play then they should have seen the court on one of the worst performing teams in the last 15 years. I try not to be over dramatic but if that were to happen it would test my patience with this program and coach Jake. We need players with high ability and potential for growth. We're already a team full of Role players, we don't need more taking up scholarships.
                      Agreed. I get that we told kids that they have a chance to earn a scholarship, but they really need to contribute to get it. I'm sure McDermott and Weinzen are good kids, but this isn't a charity. I'd just hate to lose on a recruit who could help us, because we gave a scholarship to somebody who won't be playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                        If any of our walk-ons get on scholarship we have a serious problem. If they were good enough to play then they should have seen the court on one of the worst performing teams in the last 15 years. I try not to be over dramatic but if that were to happen it would test my patience with this program and coach Jake. We need players with high ability and potential for growth. We're already a team full of Role players, we don't need more taking up scholarships.
                        Agreed. It would be a tad depressing to lose 4 seniors who played and give half of the scholarships to guys already on the team that didn’t. I don’t really follow recruiting beyond what I read in this board, but there is always hope in the unknown.

In my eyes, Ideally we could fill the 3 remaining scholarships with 1-2 HS players, 0-1 JUCO, and 1 grad transfer that could help right away and balance the classes with another opening with Wyatt next year. I know a JUCO would add to the imbalance with 5 already in 2020, but it gives a larger pool to draw from to get a college ready big guy that can contribute right away - not sure if there will be grad transfers like that or not.

Comment

• I agree that we can not use more scholarships for kids past their freshman year who are not contributing to winning.

If we've got a walk on on the bench who can contribute over the next two years then I'm ok using a scholly.

If the young man is going to watch 32 games a year from a seat next to the staff, then you can't use scholly's there. That approach has really hurt us lately.

We need real value from every scholly we give for the next 3 years to put the right pieces around a 4* guard and maybe get this thing back to a national brand.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Agreed. I get that we told kids that they have a chance to earn a scholarship, but they really need to contribute to get it. I'm sure McDermott and Weinzen are good kids, but this isn't a charity. I'd just hate to lose on a recruit who could help us, because we gave a scholarship to somebody who won't be playing.
                            I agree on McDermott in the times he was on the court he isn't what I was expecting to see given the praise he received come from UND. I would really have loved to see Weinzen play additional minutes down the stretch and I'm not sure why he didn't. When he played early in the season, he was certainly as serviceable as Spencer.
                            If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• It's a long ways from the Big Sky to the Valley. I'll be incredibly disappointed if McDermott gets a ride. He was lost when he was on the floor.

As far as Wentzien, I can't figure out why he didn't get some chances down the stretch. From what I understand he 'played' the other teams best guard on scout team all year and did a really nice job scoring in that role. I feel like we may have wasted a year there.

The other elephant in the room is Justin Dahl. We've gotten literally nothing out of him and, honestly, he looked overmatched against Dubuque. I'm not a guy that is ever going to say you push a kid out but maybe having a frank discussion about what might be best for his future and any hope of playing is probably in order. There's a chance that's a lost 5 years which is a killer.
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                                It's a long ways from the Big Sky to the Valley. I'll be incredibly disappointed if McDermott gets a ride. He was lost when he was on the floor.

As far as Wentzien, I can't figure out why he didn't get some chances down the stretch. From what I understand he 'played' the other teams best guard on scout team all year and did a really nice job scoring in that role. I feel like we may have wasted a year there.

The other elephant in the room is Justin Dahl. We've gotten literally nothing out of him and, honestly, he looked overmatched against Dubuque. I'm not a guy that is ever going to say you push a kid out but maybe having a frank discussion about what might be best for his future and any hope of playing is probably in order. There's a chance that's a lost 5 years which is a killer.
                                Agree on the Sky to the Valley comment. It is clear that he is a practice team player but what is odd is that he actually got minutes in several games over Wentzien. Just mind-boggling the sub patterns that Jake has utilized and how he has been completely unwilling to go into the bench to look for something different on the court. I don't know if it is a work ethic problem on the players end or if this is a Jake thing.

As to Dahl, I think you are right. If he really wants to get on the court, he appears to need to go somewhere else. Otherwise, we are eating his scholarship. We can hope he can flip the switch in the next couple of years but man that seems highly unlikely at this point. I'd love to be wrong though and see someone with his size develop into a 15 minute player because with that size he could change how a league team would play us.
                                If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Working...
                                X