WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our athletic program is pretty much screwed. Will be interesting to see what happens. A lot more interesting if we knew good news was at the end though.

As a consolation prize a whole lot of other schools are hosed too.

Comment

• Find Jamie Pollard's recent letter to ISU fans about the football situation. It's a very interesting read.

It's from a P5 perspective and not an FCS perspective but provides a good illustration of how difficult this situation is for athletic departments.

He talked about a $40 million hole for ISU if there was no football. Stunning.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        Find Jamie Pollard's recent letter to ISU fans about the football situation. It's a very interesting read.

It's from a P5 perspective and not an FCS perspective but provides a good illustration of how difficult this situation is for athletic departments.

He talked about a $40 million hole for ISU if there was no football. Stunning.
        Now extrapolate that to UNI and figure out how to save the university.

40m is about 45% of the budget.
        45% of the UNI budget is 8m

Now, in 3 months figure out how to fix that, issue statements that make everyone happy, keep all professional relationships on the up and up, ect.

Then because you don't instantly have an answer have people calling your statements and actions a failure, weak, misguided, etc.

I'm sure it's a super easy thing to fix and David, and literally every other athletic director in the country, are just wasting time and are all misguided.

Here's something, maybe they are misguided because there's no ****ing guide to follow right now.
        Last edited by clenz; 07-14-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• And while you're doing that, students are not going to want to pay full price for an online education. Plus, if you're going online, it doesn't make much difference if you "stay close to home," so students can shop universities far and wide. All that is going to drive the revenue from education down.

Comment

• I could see FCS all agreeing to a temporary cut in scholarships. Nobody is making money (maybe NDSU).

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

Now extrapolate that to UNI and figure out how to save the university.

40m is about 45% of the budget.
              45% of the UNI budget is 8m

Now, in 3 months figure out how to fix that, issue statements that make everyone happy, keep all professional relationships on the up and up, ect.

Then because you don't instantly have an answer have people calling your statements and actions a failure, weak, misguided, etc.

I'm sure it's a super easy thing to fix and David, and literally every other athletic director in the country, are just wasting time and are all misguided.

Here's something, maybe they are misguided because there's no ****ing guide to follow right now.
              And yet you had half the people on this thread calling the virus NBD and/or assured we’d be fine by Sept because of...I don’t know, hope? Certainly not science.

We are sitting here having a debate on being supportive of the school we all love and one of those ways to show it is to not question what the leaders of UNI say? Fine. But how about a little introspection about how the collective malaise of a huge chunk of this country led to the general lack of appetite to actually do the things that 99% of other developed nations did and now here we are...

Whether you thought the virus was a hoax or real, a threat or a minor disturbance, our collective inaction and passing of the buck nationally made this an absolute sh!tshow that was 100% avoidable.

Last edited by UNI MadCat; 07-15-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• I think a lot of people are under the impression that the goal was to stop the spread instead of slowing the spread.
                Slowing the spread was valuable. ICU death rate has improved from ~60% in March to ~42% in May.
                It is still worth slowing as as we can with as little disruption of the economy as we can manage. Both of those are important but unfortunately we can’t fully commit to both.

Comment

• IF there is a season this year, it might not be that hard to replace the Iowa game

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ty-season-only

Comment

• Well, call the independent fb schools. They have the most to make up.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
                      Well, call the independent fb schools. They have the most to make up.
                      How about a trip to South Bend to take on Notre Dame?

Comment

• It sounds like the CAA will cancel their conference season, but JMU is going to still try to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Find The Courier article.

There's a clause about the game being unable to be played because of situations out of institutional control. Because the Big Ten isn't allowing non-league games, it's out of Iowa's control. We aren't getting a dime.
                          Hi guys. Been a long while. Hope you're all well.

This is going to be really interesting to follow. I've attended a few CLEs on how force majure clauses are being tested relative to COVID-19, and it's very unclear. Most have been unwilling to try and enforce them, and instead negotiate a settlement, but that's neither universal or predictable.

Is a global pandemic sufficient to establish force majure? Can you argue that when you're playing, just other opponents? I wouldn't feel great about that argument.

And then there are "impossibility" clauses. Wisconsin cancelled their game with Appalachian State, which had an impossibility clause, but only for ASU. If ASU couldn't make the game work, they had an out without penalty. Wisconsin has no such protection.

Then you have the state pressure not to screw a "sister" university. Iowa is in fine(ish) financial state - they've netted close to 75M in the last ten years, though they lost some of that in their stupid discrimination lawsuit. I can see them paying some or all of the buyout, assuming they can do it in a way that doesn't impact their other cancellations.

Complicated days. I don't have a clue what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure they're all bad. We don't pay Harris enough to sort through this.

FWIW - I looked up NDSU, since they were mentioned, in the recently released financial database. Their budget is about 50% larger than ours. We generally about break even, and so do they. Both programs are on shaky ground, and plenty of the P5 (ahem, AMES) is similar.

Be well, all. Garbage days, these.

Comment

• Newsy Lives!!

Don't be a stranger, man!
                            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post

Hi guys. Been a long while. Hope you're all well.

This is going to be really interesting to follow. I've attended a few CLEs on how force majure clauses are being tested relative to COVID-19, and it's very unclear. Most have been unwilling to try and enforce them, and instead negotiate a settlement, but that's neither universal or predictable.

Is a global pandemic sufficient to establish force majure? Can you argue that when you're playing, just other opponents? I wouldn't feel great about that argument.

And then there are "impossibility" clauses. Wisconsin cancelled their game with Appalachian State, which had an impossibility clause, but only for ASU. If ASU couldn't make the game work, they had an out without penalty. Wisconsin has no such protection.

Then you have the state pressure not to screw a "sister" university. Iowa is in fine(ish) financial state - they've netted close to 75M in the last ten years, though they lost some of that in their stupid discrimination lawsuit. I can see them paying some or all of the buyout, assuming they can do it in a way that doesn't impact their other cancellations.

Complicated days. I don't have a clue what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure they're all bad. We don't pay Harris enough to sort through this.

FWIW - I looked up NDSU, since they were mentioned, in the recently released financial database. Their budget is about 50% larger than ours. We generally about break even, and so do they. Both programs are on shaky ground, and plenty of the P5 (ahem, AMES) is similar.

Be well, all. Garbage days, these.
                              Holy crap, welcome back!! Where have you been? Just seeing your name on here brings back nostalgia for the old days and the early years of PN!!
                              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Work, kids, some health stuff, things have been busy the past few years. Mostly, though, I found myself being a d**k to people more often on here than I was comfortable with, so I decided it best to step away.

My oldest is 7, and just starting to really watch with me. It's going to suck to lose this year, if that happens. He's decked out in panther gear about half the time, and goes to school in Waukee, so he told me the other day, "we're a purple and gold family, huh?" My dude. I'd hoped to take him to his first football game this fall. Alas.

I see another FCS league has punted to spring. At this point, I'll take what I can get.

Hope you're all safe and well. Maybe I'll try and hang around and try to less of a jerk. Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X