WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Game: Old Dominion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Game: Old Dominion

Is it too early to start this? It's been awhile since I've been this excited for a basketball season. We are only about 5 days away from the start of the season. It appears to be a pretty good test to start off the year. ODU tends to play slow with good defense, so it could be a pretty low scoring game. I'm really curious to see how Phyfe impacts the way the offense is run. If he can truly influence the defense outside from the top of the key, that will be huge.

I promised myself in the summer that I wouldn't get so, but I am currently super hyped. I am so ready for a quality start to the year for the first time in a while. Gonna get the three ball rolling early, gonna be locked in on D, gonna be a lot of minutes between a lot of players, and a nice Panther win against a quality OoC mid major. Perhaps the most exciting thing I've heard out of preseason so far is that the four most talked about players are either Freshmen or Sophomores (Green, Betz, Phyfe, Carter). (Basically) Everyone's healthy, everyone sounds locked in, and I can't wait.

There's only two things I'm not excited about: the game is still 5 days out, and I won't be able to make it. Otherwise it's nothing but excitement from me.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
      Is it too early to start this? It's been awhile since I've been this excited for a basketball season. We are only about 5 days away from the start of the season. It appears to be a pretty good test to start off the year. ODU tends to play slow with good defense, so it could be a pretty low scoring game. I'm really curious to see how Phyfe impacts the way the offense is run. If he can truly influence the defense outside from the top of the key, that will be huge.
      Definitely not too early for this thread, I was ready a couple weeks ago. Healthy Phyfe, healthy Pickford, Green with a year under his belt, Seniors locked in. freshmen who are ready to contribute. We are ready!
      Last edited by domedays; 11-01-2019, 05:41 AM.
      "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

I'm usually overly optimistic, and this year is no different. Everything seems lined up for a successful year. A couple years ago we didn't have a lot of experience. Last year we had guys who hadn't played together a lot. This year we have a guy who's probably going to be the best player on the court every time he steps in the court. We have a team who basically all played together last year, and took an overseas trip this summer to get things started this year. I don't really see a weak link in the top 6 (AJ, Spencer, Isaiah, Berhow, Phyfe, Pickford) and after the top 6, you have a couple good freshmen and a guy or two who contributed last year. When I look at our schedule, I feel like every game is very winnable - although I'm not sure that's a great thing. So yea, I'm ready...
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

This is a 25-27 win team that will play postseason basketball
          #MACtion

Comment

Yes - optimistic. And ready for this season to start. Last year's loss of Phyfe forced Luke and JD into active minutes and improved their games. So we should have great depth this year.

Cole Henry (RS)
            Tywhon Pickford - Sounds like he's all healed up and ready to go. He was so good as a freshman - hopefully he's ready to come back and show what he can do.
            AJ Green - Great shooting, obviously. He'll thrive with the new 3pt line. Coach Jake says his defense is way ahead of last year. Looking for smarter, calmer play with less TOs and more assists.
            Logan Wolf - Don't expect a lot of minutes, but great practice partner and maybe he will fight for some time...
            Trae Berhow - Looking forward to him continuing to be great and turning the defense up.
            Lincoln Conrey - Hometown boy - hoping he'll get some good minutes! (And that we're often up by enough to do that.)
            Evan Gauger - (RS)
            Justin Dahl - I so like him. I fear his minutes will diminish a lot with Phyfe back. I'm not sure why, but I love it when he's in and I'd love to see him play a lot.
            Shandon Goldman - I think he will diminish the most with Phyfe, Luke, and JD taking a lot of minutes.
            Antwan Kimmons - Excited to see what he can do. Giving AJ some time off the ball will be great.
            Derek Krogmann - (RS, right?)
            Isaiah Brown - Senior Year - Expecting great things on both sides of the ball.
            Spencer Haldeman - Senior Year -
            James Betz - Not sure what to expect - a very intriguing player.
            Luke McDonnell - Senior Year - time to earn some minutes!
            Noah Carter - Not sure what to expect - a very intriguing player, but different from James.
            Austin Phyfe - Have to expect a readjustment period after sitting a year and limited workouts.

Comment

I'm not sure what to think about ODU, they are a team that made the tournament last year, they have relatively good size, but they lost their two best players from last year and I wonder where the scoring will come from for them. But it is a better challenge then SIU Edwardsville or Mississippi Valley State.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                I'm not sure what to think about ODU, they are a team that made the tournament last year, they have relatively good size, but they lost their two best players from last year and I wonder where the scoring will come from for them. But it is a better challenge then SIU Edwardsville or Mississippi Valley State.
                middle of the pack Valley team?

Comment

Since I am super unmotivated at work and really excited for this game, I headed over to the ODU site. They had a recap from their final exhibition game against a D3 school, the guy ended the video by saying "I don't know what the final score was but it doesn't matter since it doesn't count." I thought it was pretty funny.

Comment

ODU is a good program. I like the fact that we play them early after they lost a couple top scorers. Hopefully we can get a W, then ODU gels and it'll turn into a good win.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Kudos to the athletics dept for getting the word spread about this game. Social media has been super active, and even the players seem to be pushing for a good crowd. Plus added excitement of making it a white out.

One of the better home openers in recent memory, but I think the team will need to prove themselves before attendance improves too much. Still love to see all the content the team has been pouring out lately

Comment

The social media has been great. The number of tickets still available is depressing.
                        #MACtion

Comment

I too am pumped about UNI hoops spinning up! I just fired up ESPN+ today and ready to go.

I'm really interested to see (most of which have already been mentioned) how well Phyfe & Pickford bounces back from being off / not at full speed last year, Betz & Carter assimilates as newbies, and the game time run with Kimmons at point with Green off the ball - the latter having a lot of potential I think.

It should be a great season, UNI should be contending for an MVC championship & NCAA tourney birth.

Comment

Free pizza for students at this game too. Hopefully they show up!

Comment

Do we know what our tempo will look like this season? Everyone was talking pace and tempo last season but I havent seen much about it this year.
                              View the complete 2019-20 Northern Iowa Panthers basketball team schedule on ESPN.com. Includes home and away games and printable schedules.

Comment

Working...
                              X