WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2019 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Committed
    James Betz...........6-7 F Garner, IA (Garner-Hayfield) VC
    Noah Carter..........6-5 F Dubuque, IA (Senior) VC
    Cole Henry............6-9 F Oskaloosa, IA (Oskaloosa) VC
    Derek Krogmann..6-7 F Manchester, IA (West Delaware) VC Walk-On

Offered
    David Roddy..6-4 F Minneapolis, MN (Breck) VC

Committed Elsewhere
    Tyler Wahl......6-6 F Lakeville, MN (Lakeville North) VC Committed to Wisconsin
    Tyrell Terry.....5-11 G Minneapolis, MN (De La Salle) VC Committed to Stanford
    D.J. Carton....6-2 G Davenport, IA (Bettendorf) VC Committed to Ohio State
    Last edited by Moose39; 08-23-2018, 10:52 AM.

Thanks for getting this up Moose. Can somebody fill us in on how many rides are available? Do we currently have 3 open for '18 (after Green) and none for '19 (after Betz)?
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Correct. There are 2 or 3 for '18 depending on what they do with McDermott and the one ride for '19 is already spoken for.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        Correct. There are 2 or 3 for '18 depending on what they do with McDermott and the one ride for '19 is already spoken for.
        I haven't been able to keep up with the recruiting for next year or two, but has anyone else committed for 2018 other than Green?

We have yet to see McDermott in anything other than the PTL, but is he potentially worth burning a scholarship on or are there more talented guys that we could use that scholarship on?

Comment

Green is the only 2018. And it has nothing to do with his ability, but giving a scholarship to McDermott means 6 scholarships in that class. Terrible reasoning, but that's definitely not ideal. With that said, if he plays well enough, I'm sure he'll get one.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ide/937508001/

Comment

I wonder how many scholarships will be banked from 2018. If we're just going to be banking one, I'd kind of like to hold out for someone else, preferably a big. If we're banking two or three, this guy sounds like a pretty good get.

Comment

How about Tyreke Locure? I know UNI needs a big, but another PG would be fantastic.

Comment

Despite his height, would not be surprised to see him go bigger. Seems like the type of player who is quiet offer wise until his senior year, then blows up.

Comment

Originally posted by squeezebox View Post
                    How about Tyreke Locure? I know UNI needs a big, but another PG would be fantastic.

Tyreke has a good PR agent this year. I'm seeing lots of reports about how well he is doing.

Comment

Because it's that point of the year, I'm looking at the recruits coming in. Checking some things about James Betz, he's improved from last year (obviously and hopefully), but his three point shooting has really gone up. Last year at 25%, this year at 45%, and at a fairly high volume for a high school big, at 2.4 3PA/1.1 3PM. He also has a decent amount of assists, at about 2.8 per game, double his 1.4 last season. Still an AST:TO of just over 1:1, similar to last year.

Because of a number reasons (6'8", small town Iowa, shoots well for his size), I've seen a lot of people compare him to Tuttle. And honestly, it's fairly close. He's basically a better shooting, worse assisting version of him. In his JR year, Tuttle shot at the same 3pt%, but at a low volume of about 1 shot a game. But, as we all know, Tuttle could pass like no one else, with 3.65 APG (again, JR year, his SR campaign was a stupidly high 5.3 APG). It's also important to note that Betz has a much better supporting cast around him, so the relatively low 14 PPG makes sense, but the lower AST numbers look worse (not that they're bad, per se, just bad in comparison to Tuttle).

Comment

In seeing some video, he's a lot more Grant Stout than he is Seth Tuttle. Regardless, he's going to be a really nice piece. One of the few tiny town Iowa white kids that isn't a 3 year project...
                        #MACtion

Comment

Can anyone share video of Betz? I'm not able to find any.

Comment

Saw him play just before Christmas. He has a decent shooting stroke but still needs some cleaning up. Athletically, he's special. He appears to like the weight room and he can run and jump. Could be a lot of fun to watch in the future. Exited that he is going to be a Panther.
                            Last edited by ThePurpleandtheGold; 01-21-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Betz poured in 32 last night and grabbed 16 rebounds. Almost averaging a double-double on the year now (15-9).

Comment

Working...
                              X