WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Des Moines Register has two good articles today profiling the top recruits of 2019 and 2020. For 2019 it obviously mentions Betz, who sounds like a good get. Other 2019 players with interest from UNI include Cole Henry from Oskaloosa, Hutcheson from Linn Mar, and Issa Samake from Grand View Christian. Samake is 6’7, huge wingspan, and a freak athlete. He’s raw as far as basketball skills, but his upside is way high. I think I remember reading that he hasn’t played basketball for that long, so he’s still learning. His development and interest from Jake and other programs bares watching this year. He already has an offer from Tulsa, with us and a BUNCH of other schools keeping a close watch.

The articles are worth the read. There were some 2020 players we’re watching mentioned as well. Born from Norwalk, a forward from Highland Riverside, etc.

Comment

Samake is good, but from the games I watched, he's a show off. In the state tournament, his team was down in the semi finals, and he was going for ally-oop dunks rather than getting the easy buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
        Samake is good, but from the games I watched, he's a show off. In the state tournament, his team was down in the semi finals, and he was going for ally-oop dunks rather than getting the easy buckets.
        Yeah. That damn dunk is such a low percentage shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
          Time out.... Did he throw himself an alley oop? Pretty sure it take 2 to do that. Did he miss any dunks? In HS basketball dunks are bigger than 3s when it comes to flipping a game. This isn't the 1960s... Dunking is allowed and doesn't make you a show off lol

Comment

Originally posted by MDB View Post

Time out.... Did he throw himself an alley oop? Pretty sure it take 2 to do that. Did he miss any dunks? In HS basketball dunks are bigger than 3s when it comes to flipping a game. This isn't the 1960s... Dunking is allowed and doesn't make you a show off lol
            No, he waited a few feet from the rim and called for them. And yes, he missed two.

Comment

Time to offer Cole Henry a 4 for 5 and get it done, he'll take that and there are plenty of open rides in that 2020 class.

Kid is a really good passer out of the post and has said he's going to make himself a better shooter this summer. Grew up dreaming of being a Panther. GET. IT. DONE.
              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                Time to offer Cole Henry a 4 for 5 and get it done, he'll take that and there are plenty of open rides in that 2020 class.

Kid is a really good passer out of the post and has said he's going to make himself a better shooter this summer. Grew up dreaming of being a Panther. GET. IT. DONE.
                Imagine Seth Tuttle's passing ability with the crop of shooters we're adding.

Not saying Henry is Tut...but a post passer who can also board would fit.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Yep. Ideally we get Reaves and the a couple instate 4 for 5 for the next class. Someone like Noah Carter or Trey Hutcheson are other possibilities.

Comment

UNI just offered Noah Carter (Dubuque Senior). He is having a huge summer.

Comment

Originally posted by rhoho View Post
                      UNI just offered Noah Carter (Dubuque Senior). He is having a huge summer.
                      Yep. His biggest drawback is he might not really have a true position but he's been playing too well to not offer. I hope he takes our last 2019 scholarship. Versatile player.

Comment

Watched his tape - and the no position thing stood out to me.

Im not a believer in “positrons” and ice said that on this site, but I’m not sure where he fits in the court.

He seems to have decent handle, not great but abive average (especially considering his size). However, he seems on the slower side of being a wing player. Certainly isn’t guarding any 2/3 combos.

Havent seen much of him playing in the post in any videos.

Granted, neither older Koch was overly quick - though they were 6’10 and 6’8 and posts that could step out some. I’m not sure either one of those is a comp. Lucas was a physical monster. I don’t see him as a comp. Marvin night be the closest? He didn’t have a position. Too short for a true post - though his strength made up for it - but Marvin didn’t have the outside game.

Honestly, he reminds of a bit of Pemsl....light.... give him a senior season, a redshirt season, a season to get game acclimated, and by the RS sophomore season (2022-2023 season) he could be ready. He’s got a good frame to work with, his offense looks pretty skilled. I just didn’t see enough on defense and a post game to see where he fits in the court. If he ends up here I hope he develops into a Jake Koch type.

Comment

He would be a 3/4 type player. He's a post player in high school. Has put up good shooting numbers.

Comment

In the first post of this thread, Tyrell Terry can be moved from "Offered" to "Committed Elsewhere" as he accepted Stanford's offer on June 10.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                              Watched his tape - and the no position thing stood out to me.

Im not a believer in “positrons” and ice said that on this site, but I’m not sure where he fits in the court.

He seems to have decent handle, not great but abive average (especially considering his size). However, he seems on the slower side of being a wing player. Certainly isn’t guarding any 2/3 combos.

Havent seen much of him playing in the post in any videos.

Granted, neither older Koch was overly quick - though they were 6’10 and 6’8 and posts that could step out some. I’m not sure either one of those is a comp. Lucas was a physical monster. I don’t see him as a comp. Marvin night be the closest? He didn’t have a position. Too short for a true post - though his strength made up for it - but Marvin didn’t have the outside game.

Honestly, he reminds of a bit of Pemsl....light.... give him a senior season, a redshirt season, a season to get game acclimated, and by the RS sophomore season (2022-2023 season) he could be ready. He’s got a good frame to work with, his offense looks pretty skilled. I just didn’t see enough on defense and a post game to see where he fits in the court. If he ends up here I hope he develops into a Jake Koch type.
                              Ya, unfortunately he reminds me of Marvin.
                              I really liked Marvin's HS tape but his game didn't translate due to his size and inability to play a true wing. It took him FOREVER to be serviceable and even then he was mostly good for on ball screens and cleaning up the boards.
                              Noah's game is much more post than perimeter and he will be dwarfed by someone much taller/longer at the next level. Unless you can take people off the dribble and handle the ball in the open court you cannot see real time at the three spot. I see roster depth here and nothing more.

Comment

Not to divert the conversation already, but seeing Carter's VC page reminded me that we still have James Betz coming in next year, and I'm very excited for him to join the team. He's basically a worse passing, better shooting Tuttle. Granted, the passing ability is the biggest part of what made Tuttle Tuttle, but he's still a very exciting piece to the puzzle.

Comment

Working...
                                X