WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Um, you are absolutely wrong here. There have been multiple occasions where UNI has had better, more talented units and teams than ISU. And the results of the games (UNI winning on the road), and the players represented in the NFL from each if the programs would reflect that.
    Perhaps. Ultimately that isn't the issue for me. I think it is outrageous to claim that ISU has never had a much better defense than UNI (I do have a hard time believing that UNI has ever truly had a better team than ISU, but maybe they have I really don't care).

But can someone please give me the run down on UNI's standout players. What is UNI's OLine and DLine like? Trying to find game film from the Montana game but all I can find is the UNI YouTube Channel's highlight reel. I know the QB situation is flimsy. Is this Trevor Allen's first year as starting RB?
    Wait, is it week 2? Or week 3? You know what, who cares. I see a path to victory here. It's narrow, twisted, there's a cliff like a foot off the path to the right and quicksand half a foot to the left, and full of dark creatures in the night (get it,

Comment

Iowa by 17-20 minimum. I feel like the line play is going to be too much to overcome. Iowa will throw a lot more than normal, they have to get the passing game figured out or they will get beat moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceofReason2018 View Post

Perhaps. Ultimately that isn't the issue for me. I think it is outrageous to claim that ISU has never had a much better defense than UNI (I do have a hard time believing that UNI has ever truly had a better team than ISU, but maybe they have I really don't care).

But can someone please give me the run down on UNI's standout players. What is UNI's OLine and DLine like? Trying to find game film from the Montana game but all I can find is the UNI YouTube Channel's highlight reel. I know the QB situation is flimsy. Is this Trevor Allen's first year as starting RB?
        1992, 1994, 2007 and 2011 UNI could have named the score against Iowa State. 1992 UNI only attempted 1 pass in the 4th quarter. 1994 UNI outrushed ISU like 320-40. 2007 could have hung 50 if Farley wasn't a chicken****. 2011 ended with UNI taking knees on the goal line up 14.

UNI has more players playing in the NFL and has had more players drafted over the last decade.
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

1992, 1994, 2007 and 2011 UNI could have named the score against Iowa State. 1992 UNI only attempted 1 pass in the 4th quarter. 1994 UNI outrushed ISU like 320-40. 2007 could have hung 50 if Farley wasn't a chicken****. 2011 ended with UNI taking knees on the goal line up 14.

UNI has more players playing in the NFL and has had more players drafted over the last decade.
          Hey man, Iowa State is a ****ty program. If you want to rip on them I'm game. I mean they have won 4 bowl games in their 126 year history. I do think that on average ISU is the better program (they are in the Big 12 they are....... so on). I'm not sure what your guys' deal is with Farley tho, dude is a solid coach. But I don't care about that fire him. Also I don't want to sound like I don't respect UNI, I do. I just think that ISU as an FBS and Big 12 school is just going to get better recruits than UNI. I don't think that is unreasonable and I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that this ISU team is probably much better than UNI (although you are correct that UNI does have a lot of NFL guys, I am not sure how Iowa missed out on David Johnson).

How much of UNI's Oline and Dline are returning starters?

Comment

Feel free to get the hell off our board if you care as little as you’re trying to convince us
            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

I just think that ISU as an FBS and Big 12 school is just going to get better recruits than UNI. I don't think that is unreasonable and I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that this ISU team is probably much better than UNI (although you are correct that UNI does have a lot of NFL guys, I am not sure how Iowa missed out on David Johnson).
              I don't think it's unreasonable to believe every FBS team is automatically far better than every FCS team either, if you are an ignorant fan of an FBS team, like you. By any measure UNI has been on par with ISU over almost every one of the past 30 years. We've beat them a lot and would have a lot more if every game wasn't in Ames.

You come on here making asinine statements and then act like you just want to talk X's and O's for the upcoming game. Why, obviously Iowa is infinitely better than UNI at every position, that's why UNI should have won the last two trips to IC.
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Hey man, Iowa State is a ****ty program. If you want to rip on them I'm game. I mean they have won 4 bowl games in their 126 year history. I do think that on average ISU is the better program (they are in the Big 12 they are....... so on). I'm not sure what your guys' deal is with Farley tho, dude is a solid coach. But I don't care about that fire him. Also I don't want to sound like I don't respect UNI, I do. I just think that ISU as an FBS and Big 12 school is just going to get better recruits than UNI. I don't think that is unreasonable and I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that this ISU team is probably much better than UNI (although you are correct that UNI does have a lot of NFL guys, I am not sure how Iowa missed out on David Johnson).

4 back on offense (LT Twait, C Szerback, RG Scott-Brown, RT Ellis moved to LG)

3 Back on Defense (NT Applegate, DT Douglass, DE Neal)

Iowa wanted David Johnson to walk on and play linebacker. Iowa State spelled his ****ing name wrong on the recruiting letters they sent him.

#MACtion

Comment

This is the major issue I have with Iowa and ISU fans. They assume they have a certain pedigree, based solely on the fact that they share a conference with schools that have a far better tradition and prestige.
                  Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                  Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                  - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

This is the major issue I have with Iowa and ISU fans. They assume they have a certain pedigree, based solely on the fact that they share a conference with schools that have a far better tradition and prestige.
                    They only example Iowa fans need to know regarding FCS vs FBS? North Dakota State.
                    "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

I think he was just saying that in general Iowa State has better football players than UNI does. Which is true.

Comment

I don't know how the Panthers are gonna fare on Saturday...based in their play so far.

But I am perplexed at all this fawning over Iowa.

A few relevant stats...

105 yards rushing and 2.9 per carry against ISU

13 points scored

10 or fewer points scored in 3 of 4 halves played so far this season

Averaging 155 passing yards per game and 55% completion

I get they have a good D...but this is not a championship caliber team. They're built to play ina mediocre to bad Big10 West...on purpose. That's what they are.

This ain't Clemson or Bama or Georgia. Not in the same zip code.

As for what we are...we'll find out a lot Saturday night.
                        Last edited by Blue42; 09-11-2018, 01:03 PM.
                        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

4 back on offense (LT Twait, C Szerback, RG Scott-Brown, RT Ellis moved to LG)

3 Back on Defense (NT Applegate, DT Douglass, DE Neal)

Iowa wanted David Johnson to walk on and play linebacker. Iowa State spelled his ****ing name wrong on the recruiting letters they sent him.
                          I never knew that. LOL @ ISU spelling his name wrong. Its David Johnson how hard is it to spell!?!

Thanks for the info tho! Looks like they have a few starters returning, should make things interesting. I didn't mean to offend! I don't think UNI is on ISU's level traditionally (although Kurt Warner had a better NFL career than any Iowa and ISU QB, and likely player), but they do have a habit of playing the Clowns tough which cant be easy considering they have to always play at Jack Trice. Honestly, UNI is a solid program and I can see how it would be annoying to have the two other universities constantly pointing to the FCS thing.

Also yes NDSU did beat us (Michigan also lost to an FCS school when they were ranked). I thought the Iowa Legislature passed a law banning people from mentioning that game. They are a solid team (makes it much worse that they lost the FCS championship that year tho, kind of stung a bit).

I will say that while UNI has played Iowa somewhat tough recently (2009 was a real scare but the past few games, while close, I don't think were ever that scary for Iowa fans), I just can't seen UNI running on this D. Its pretty darn good. Never count out our offensive to make things interesting. But at the end of the day you cant win game if you don't score points, and I don't see this Iowa defense giving up many.......... But then again, I also didn't think Iowa would have to block two field goals to win in 09 so what do I know.

Comment

I'm going to the game, and expecting a 17 point spread in the favor of Western Campus of University of Illinois Safety School. Anything more than 20 point loss I will be really disappointed.

I say this in light of the first 40 mins of the Montana game - a clown shown to rival some of the all-time dumpster fires in Ames. I'm at a complete loss as to what to expect from our offense. The defense should be ok as long as there is not a flea-flicker in the first couple drives.

Comment

I like VoiceofReason2018, just for his screen name. Because I love irony.

Comment

I will say that while UNI has played Iowa somewhat tough recently (2009 was a real scare but the past few games, while close, I don't think were ever that scary for Iowa fans), I just can't seen UNI running on this D. Its pretty darn good. Never count out our offensive to make things interesting. But at the end of the day you cant win game if you don't score points, and I don't see this Iowa defense giving up many.......... But then again, I also didn't think Iowa would have to block two field goals to win in 09 so what do I know.
                                I’m a dual UNI/Iowa fan (rooting for UNI this weekend), was at Kinnick last weekend and saw all of the NIU game. Agree with the above, UNI will have a very hard time running on Iowa. Iowa’s D Line is extremely solid, with a couple of playmakers in A Nelson and Epeneza. The key to the game is how well UNI protects Dunne, and whether the coaches and players have corrected the garbage that occurred during the horses#!+ first half against Montana. The UNI offense has WAY too many returnees to look that bad against anyone.

Dunne having a decent game is the key to UNI keeping it close. He’s got a big arm, and UNI has some WRs who can do some damage if he has the time. UNI’s receivers as a group are hurt by Weston’s injury, but there’s still enough there to move the ball if UNI can execute. Iowa doesn’t have 4 Desmond King - Josh Jackson types back there this year, just to remind you. Hooker is really good at SS, the others, ehhh. Iowa’s secondary didn’t beat ISU. Iowa’s D Line and stupidity by ISU’s coaches did.

Two keys - Dunne needs to stay upright, and UNI’s D can’t give up too many long drives. That Iowa’s game - grind it out, wear you down, put the crowd to sleep with a boring pace, and start to rack up points over time. UNI’s keys are easier said than done though. The Panthers don’t match up well with the Hawks this year, especially if the first half at Montana didn’t get the coaches to wake the hell up.

Comment

Working...
                                X