WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIU spread out their linebackers and Iowa State kept trying to go inside rather than get the ball quickly out into space and let playmakers make plays. Hope Farley is paying attention to that film and making adjustments accordingly. EIU's d-line is very, very good. Their o-line, so-so.

Comment

The biggest key to this game will be whether the refs again throw 22 flags on UNI before noticing Iowa also commits infractions. If they do that again we probably don't keep it close the whole game like last time. We're not good enough this year to beat Iowa without getting some breaks our way. We were good enough last time, but had to play 11 on 17. Someone posted something to the effect that the officials have flat out told Farley they were going to call the game Iowa's way. That a little disconcerting for the integrity of the game.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
        The biggest key to this game will be whether the refs again throw 22 flags on UNI before noticing Iowa also commits infractions. If they do that again we probably don't keep it close the whole game like last time. We're not good enough this year to beat Iowa without getting some breaks our way. We were good enough last time, but had to play 11 on 17. Someone posted something to the effect that the officials have flat out told Farley they were going to call the game Iowa's way. That a little disconcerting for the integrity of the game.
        Don’t mean to burst your, or anyone else’s bubble, but the refs haven’t lost the last few Iowa games for UNI. Iowa has enough position group and individual advantages to take things away from UNI. UNI had enough talent to keep it close, and the difference between the two programs wasn’t as big as some think (hint to the Voice Of Reason guy posting above). But the difference was enough to tip it Iowa’s way. That’s especially true of the last meeting. ‘09 - FG away. The game after, Grace missed an open receiver in the end zone in the closing minutes. The last time, too much Iowa running game, it sealed the deal in a close contest.

I don’t feel the same in terms of comparative talent after watching the Montana game. The first half left a really bad taste in my mouth. It’s still there. Loosing our top returning WR doesn’t help either, since we’ll need to be reliant on Dunne’s arm to win this game.

Comment

If someone could show me a box score of another 8 point football game with a 16 - 4 penalty differential that has occurred in the last 10 years of college football, I'd love to see it.

That is all.
          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
            Come on guys! He is insane! "Someone posted something to the effect that the officials have flat out told Farley they were going to call the game Iowa's way." WHY?!? Why would any dishonest official tell the opposing coach that they are going to throw the game!?! I have read Nebraska forums, Minnesota forums, and even ISU forums. There is some insane stuff there, but this is bat**** crazy! I was just about to leave this thread, but he pulled me back in. This Gonzo guy is either a troll or clinically insane. He for sure believes the U.S. faked the lunar landing. Listen guys its been real, but I'm out. Have fun talking to Gonzo about his area 51 theories! Peace!

Comment

Your first instinct to leave the thread was correct, please do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                If someone could show me a box score of another 8 point football game with a 16 - 4 penalty differential that has occurred in the last 10 years of college football, I'd love to see it.

That is all.
                I don't think you will find a game in NCAA history with the disparity in penalties as that game. There were many more flags on UNI, but if the penalty is declined I guess it doesn't count in the box score? When we play Iowa or ISU or any other FBS school, I fully expect the officials are going to show favoritism to those teams, that's just the way it is, the officials want to keep working big money conference games and move up the ladder. I'm never happy about it, but I accept it and don't get upset, I know UNI has to play above the officiating to win those games and we often have. What I don't expect is for them to show favoritism to a degree that it is statistically impossible they are watching both sides of the ball as was the case in our last trip to IC.

I think I've watched every game UNI has played against FBS (formerly I-A) and there have only been two that I felt the officials basically stole the game from us. The first ever game against ISU and the last game against Iowa.

An Iowa troll calling me a troll on this board is rich.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Declined doesn’t show. I think UNI has 20 called in the game. I think it was 14-0 on penalties before the first one one Iowa.

Nevermond the first TD was scores on a stretch play that was made possible by one of the biggest holds I’d seen by the LT and the. Another by a WR/TE on a LB closing in.
                  GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                    Declined doesn’t show. I think UNI has 20 called in the game. I think it was 14-0 on penalties before the first one one Iowa.

Nevermond the first TD was scores on a stretch play that was made possible by one of the biggest holds I’d seen by the LT and the. Another by a WR/TE on a LB closing in.
                    15 penalties called (and accepted) against UNI before Iowa was penalized for the first time (12:42 remaining in the 4th quarter, called for holding on a kickoff return).

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

15 penalties called (and accepted) against UNI before Iowa was penalized for the first time (12:42 remaining in the 4th quarter, called for holding on a kickoff return).

That is unimaginable. There is no way you can claim legit officiating when something like that happens. And we were still within striking distance.
                      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                      - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

That is unimaginable. There is no way you can claim legit officiating when something like that happens. And we were still within striking distance.
                        I was at that game, and I will never forget how bad it was.
                        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

Yeah, that is pretty much how Squak fans feel about their last Basketball game in the McLeod.

I remember a couple pass interference calls where the ball was pretty clearly uncatchable (20 feet over their heads out of bounds).

Comment

Most of the penalties against UNI were legit (including 4 delay of games, 3 false starts, and a pair of back-to-back offsides calls on Xavier Williams), but some of the others were awfully questionable. And the biggest issue was Iowa NOT being flagged, despite some very obvious infractions (such as the holds Clenz has mentioned)

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

Yeah, that is pretty much how Squak fans feel about their last Basketball game in the McLeod.

I remember a couple pass interference calls where the ball was pretty clearly uncatchable (20 feet over their heads out of bounds).
                              The big difference is a Final Four worthy crew vs the Big Ten's 12th football crew that wouldn't sniff a conference game and hangs out in the MAC.

We'll let them decide who's more delusional.

#MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                Most of the penalties against UNI were legit (including 4 delay of games, 3 false starts, and a pair of back-to-back offsides calls on Xavier Williams), but some of the others were awfully questionable. And the biggest issue was Iowa NOT being flagged, despite some very obvious infractions (such as the holds Clenz has mentioned)
                                Yeah. I don’t think any UNI fan now (or then) we’re denying the calls on UNI weren’t good calls. It was, and almost always is, the complete lack of calls against major schools that’s the issue.

I know of other FCS coaches that have been told them same. I 100% believe it. It’s not that they call extra penalties on smaller schools. It’s an unwillingness to call anything that isn’t blatantly obvious on the bigger school.
                                GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X