WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-21 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    League schedule released today. Games begin Dec 30th. Will update when available.

Be shocked if the 2 Loyola games aren't on Feb 6 and 27.
    You hit the nail on the head there, the conference schedule has been tweeted out. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to finalize the non conference.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

First TV guesses at a glance.

Both Loyola Games and Bradley here will be ESPN2.

Both SIU games, Drake here and at Bradley will be ESPNU.

Not even worth guessing CBS Sports Net games anymore because they don't make any sense.
      #MACtion

Comment

Jon Rothstein tweeting that teams in the Cayman Islands Classic are looking for other options.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan View Post
          Jon Rothstein tweeting that teams in the Cayman Islands Classic are looking for other options.
          My initial reaction to the flurry of news late last week around what MTE's may or may not happen and possible bubbles is that this can go one of two ways for us. Really good or really bad. I see Rothstein also tweeted about a bubble in Lincoln which may include some P5 schools. Coach Mack at Louisville has made it known they're trying to put something together. A schedule of games on 12/12 in Atlanta was already announced, with more games to come. Includes 4 SEC schools, Clemson along with Dayton, South Florida and Memphis. If we can get into a similar Midwest bubble it would be great. If you want to dream a little think about Duke not wanting to play in Sioux Falls, but if the rest of what was the Battle 4 Atlantis field wanting to play and adding UNI to round it out. I think we're slated for Atlantis in 2 years, but Atlantis had made it clear any Sioux Falls event was not associated with them. So best case is we're one of teams Rothstein says are "pursuing other options" because there may be better opportunities. But the skeptic in me who sees P5 schools using this to their full advantage has me fearful we'll be left out in the cold.

Comment

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ps-local-flair

Here is an article from ESPN, you need the ESPN+ to read it.

Quick Summary: The article is about teams in close proximity playing each other. Examples are Virginia vs Richmond and Illinois vs Loyola. UNI vs Iowa is in there, basically its saying that we should play because we are the second best team in the state. List all of Iowa's starters and not a single player from UNI is mentioned. It would be a fun match up but it will never happen until Fran leaves.

Comment

Not much news in this, but good interview with Coach Jake regardless. The one thing he refers to is another home game on the schedule (no team mentioned), but overall scheduling seems to be a bit of a struggle...

​​​​​http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/no...ng-a-schedule/
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

It seemed inevitable, but the Cayman games are officially cancelled. Hopefully we can get in another event.

Comment

Best case is sliding into the Battle 4 South Dakota, if that's still going on. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind the team taking on one of these power conference round robin things, especially some of the more mediocre ones. Make a bit of noise in game 2 by beating Nebraska by 15 on their floor? That works for me.

Comment

Dayton took Duke's place in the Battle 4 Atlantis event. Others are starting to trickle out - Xavier is hosting an event (including Bradley), Kansas State hosting one (including Drake), Illinois is hosting one as well (teams TBA). I have to think Jake would love to get in the one hosted by Illinois.
                    Last edited by CyCarp; 10-05-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• Illinois coach Brad Underwood was the head coach when we played Stephen F. Austin in those early season ESPN early-morning games a few years ago. His relationship with Jake might help us get in an Illinois event. Let's hope!

Comment

• We just added an event in Lincoln. Solid event/field.

Comment

• We found our bubble!

At Nebraska. No idea how it'll be set up.

Confirmed so far (still looking for more teams)--
                          UNI
                          Nebraska
                          LSU
                          Nevada
                          Cleveland State
                          Illinois State

Imagining it will be played Thanksgiving Week.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• So.......

Assuming they found a date to reschedule the Boise game we should only have one more to get assuming everything on the schedule in December still happens and we have the 'mystery team' home game locked down.

27 games max this year instead of 31.
                            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              ... (still looking for more teams)--
                              UNI
                              Nebraska
                              LSU
                              Nevada
                              Cleveland State
                              Illinois State

Imagining it will be played Thanksgiving Week.
                              We’re the highest ranked team in that field, I think.

Comment

• Odd to be in a MTE with another conference opponent. Assuming they get 8 teams and make it a somewhat traditional tourney, let's meet them in the finals and take them down. Hopefully they can add another P5 or two.

Edit - Looks like they're aiming to get 16 teams...

Can confirm Jon’s report. The maximum amount of teams this event can field is 16 and there is optimism they can hit that number, but we’ll see. Many other teams have been in constant contact and some schools have already signed paperwork to do this.

Nebraska will host the largest pool of teams of any school in college basketball this season. One big reason for this, sources said, was the cost per game per school is much lower than most other MTE situations. Also, many schools involved will be within driving distance.
                                Last edited by CyCarp; 10-06-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X