WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2019 - Football Recruits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcus is a great embodiment of almost everything it means to be a UNI Panther....but....we need to aim WAY higher than Marcus for finding a feature back. Marcus ended up having a great career. He deserved every great thing said about him. That's not saying Sam is recruited to be the feature back in 2 or 3 years (even though maybe he is...who knows)

He would have had an ever better career by being able to be a change up look at 10-15 carries spelling a much more dynamic back out of the back field.

That has nothing to do with Gary. I know nothing of how he compares or will develop over the next 5 years. I know mudra isn't always well liked, and I often disagree with him, but he had a point earlier in this thread about RBs. We may have another high level back on our roster we haven't seen yet (because of Marcus and Trevor), but if you were to ask me about our weakest position moving forward I'd point to RB.
    Last edited by clenz; 02-03-2019, 04:01 PM.
    GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• No argument here. I'd love to see us sign a game breaking RB.

Seems like a position we could recruit at UNI given David Johnson came out of the program and we've got a HC who loves a strong run game.

That said...I like the kind of player SG is and I think he can contribute at UNI the next 4/5 years.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        Sam Gary of Cedar Falls announed via Twitter he's coming to UNI.

I like this one. He's a really strong and hard nosed RB with some quickness. We've had success with this type of runner before. See...Marcus Weymiller.

We need more than a weymiller type back to win the marbles

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
          Marcus is a great embodiment of almost everything it means to be a UNI Panther....but....we need to aim WAY higher than Marcus for finding a feature back. Marcus ended up having a great career. He deserved every great thing said about him.

He would have had an ever better career by being able to be a change up look at 10-15 carries spelling a much more dynamic back out of the back field.

That has nothing to do with Gary. I know nothing of how he compares or will develop over the next 5 years. I know R&B isn't well liked, and I often disagree with him, but he had a point earlier in this thread about RBs. We may have another high level back on our roster we haven't seen yet (because of Marcus and Trevor), but if you were to ask me about our weakest position moving forward I'd point to RB.
          It was me that said it, but who’s counting

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

It was me that said it, but who’s counting
            I couldn't remember. I apologize for not getting it correct. I will go back and edit my post.

My point about you being correct still stands.
            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• One thing that is clear is Farley seems to be done with the idea of a spread option based QB. I know Keller is still on roster, and by most/all accounts he is a running style QB, there isn't another one on roster. The two QB's singed in this class - who will likely be #1 and #2 in the MVFC QB rankings from HeroSports and be in the top 6-10 in MVFC recruits overall from Hero - are both very much pocket guys first and foremost. They may have the ability to move, but that isn't what they do.

Also back to targeting big, physical, OL. Kids that may "only" be 270-280 out of HS (though UNI certainly signed a couple 300s already) but have the frame already in place to be 310 in 2 years. Guys that come from power systems and want to get dirty.
              GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

One thing that is clear is Farley seems to be done with the idea of a spread option based QB. I know Keller is still on roster, and by most/all accounts he is a running style QB, there isn't another one on roster. The two QB's singed in this class - who will likely be #1 and #2 in the MVFC QB rankings from HeroSports and be in the top 6-10 in MVFC recruits overall from Hero - are both very much pocket guys first and foremost. They may have the ability to move, but that isn't what they do.

Also back to targeting big, physical, OL. Kids that may "only" be 270-280 out of HS (though UNI certainly signed a couple 300s already) but have the frame already in place to be 310 in 2 years. Guys that come from power systems and want to get dirty.
                Two years ago, UNI signed four OL that were already 300+ and three more OL between 270 and 300.

I like that we are seeing that again this time.
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I couldn't remember. I apologize for not getting it correct. I will go back and edit my post.

My point about you being correct still stands.
                  It really doesn’t matter. I was making a funny as we clearly haven’t been swapping Christmas cards lately

Comment

One thing that is clear is Farley seems to be done with the idea of a spread option based QB. I know Keller is still on roster, and by most/all accounts he is a running style QB, there isn't another one on roster. The two QB's singed in this class - who will likely be #1 and #2 in the MVFC QB rankings from HeroSports and be in the top 6-10 in MVFC recruits overall from Hero - are both very much pocket guys first and foremost. They may have the ability to move, but that isn't what they do.

Both developments are music to my ears as are the receivers we’ve been stockpiling for a while. Weston was really impressive before injury. What’s missing is a game breaking runner although I do like Allen. Keeping a wildcat or spread option package in the playbook is fine, but the DNA of the Panthter offense should be one that throws 50-60% of the time, works the seams and looks for the home run ball several times a game. The next coach needs to be on the staff now and running one of the units. That’s on the AD. With everything Farley has done and meant to UNI and UNI football, it’s also on Harris and the next coach to send him off with the elusive National Title. Farley is the type that will stay until it’s accomplished. That’s the level of loyalty and love he has for this place

Comment

Both developments are music to my ears as are the receivers we’ve been stockpiling for a while. Weston was really impressive before injury. What’s missing is a game breaking runner although I do like Allen. Keeping a wildcat or spread option package in the playbook is fine, but the DNA of the Panthter offense should be one that throws 50-60% of the time, works the seams and looks for the home run ball several times a game. The next coach needs to be on the staff now and running one of the units. That’s on the AD. With everything Farley has done and meant to UNI and UNI football, it’s also on Harris and the next coach to send him off with the elusive National Title. Farley is the type that will stay until it’s accomplished. That’s the level of loyalty and love he has for this place
                      I agree with everything in this post.

We have the dome as our home field. We play 4 conference games, 1 OOC game (even though it should be 2) every year, we play road games in domed stadiums at NDSU, USD and now UND. We have the PERFECT conditions to have an offense to use weapons on the outside. If we don't have a dominant back, like DJ or C-Lew, then throwing the ball 60% of the time (or more) is fine. Run a power set from whatever formation you want - gun, pistol, or I - and do enough to force the defense to respect the run game and open the top off of it.

I really, really, like the staff on campus right now. I think McCann has HC potential in his future. As much as I've been on the "it's time to move on" side of things with Farley, I don't like being there. There isn't another person in the world, academic or athletic, that defines UNI more than Farley, and second place (whomever that may be) isn't even close. If anyone deserves to win a title as HC at UNI (or anywhere), it is Mark Farley. The amount of talent Farley has recruited, year in and year out, at UNI is unreal. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it doesn't matter where I go to watch a game or what fan base I talk with, one of the things that every single one mentions is the talent that Farley brings in year after year. The issue has been his inability to stay out of the way of his assistants. Hopefully we have assistants that can get him to trust their processes and get UNI, and Mark, over that hump and he can ride off the way he deserves.

The league is so open this year with all the people that SDSU and NDSU are losing. All 3 of UNI, NDSU and SDSU are going to be starting freshman QBs this year. The ability of this staff to pick the right one, not have a controversy, and develop them within the system is going to be key.
                      GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Like it.

I personally don't think we'll start either of the true freshman QBs this year unless there's a necessity due to injury.

I predict Martens will play a little bit but still be under the RS limit of 4 games. He's got 2 seasons of HS starts and is on campus early and I think he'll be closer to being ready to go in a college game. Fomby has only started one full year of HS ball. No need to rush that.

I think it's between McElvain and Keller for 2019. I continue to be very intrigued by McElvain as a dynamic playmaker throwing and running. But we'll see.
                        Last edited by Blue42; 02-03-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Like it.

I personally don't think we'll start either of the true freshman QBs this year unless there's a necessity due to injury.

I predict Martens will play a little bit but still be under the RS limit of 4 games. He's got 2 seasons of HS starts and is on campus early and I think he'll be closer to being ready to go in a college game. Fomby has only started one full year of HS ball. No need to rush that.

I think it's between McElvain and Keller for 2019. I continue to be very intrigued by McElvain as a dynamic playmaker throwing and running. But we'll see.
                          The running of qbs at UNI has to be over

Comment

Sam Gary of Cedar Falls announed via Twitter he's coming to UNI.

I like this one. He's a really strong and hard nosed RB with some quickness. We've had success with this type of runner before. See...Marcus Weymiller.

I know he played for a good CF team, but I would assume his future in D1 football is at a position other than RB. Where would that be? Also, the other posts about Marcus Weymiller are correct. If you want to be NC relevant, then he’s not your feature back. Tough kid and good player, but not the playmaking RB you need.

Comment

• Look for the Cook kid, the excellent, all-state place kicker from Cedar Falls, to sign with the Panthers this week.

Comment

The running of qbs at UNI has to be over
                                Have you seen an NDSU playoff game in the last 4 years?

Comment

Working...
                                X